Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Homemade intercooler piping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade intercooler piping + intake (new added intake pics)

updated Pics on the last page with the new intake pipe finished.

Well, I have looked around before and I have not been on the site in a while, but I don't really see anyone doing this mod themselves. Yes, it is very easy to buy a companies product and there are many nice products out there available. I just wanted to make my own to keep me a little busy in between summer exams and doing landscaping projects.

Here is a quick snapshot of what I came up with. It is all 304ss and tig welded by a buddy of mine. I snagged a 1st gen blow off valve from a friend of mine. I will be making the lower intercooler pipe also, but I have not got around to it yet.

I bought some random bends and I have some pieces laying around the house. I also made the battery tray too and purchased the battery off ebay. If I had the chance to do it again, I would - but this project is not for everyone. I would say that the amount of time that I spent + the money I spent would about equal what it would cost to buy this from a shop. If you figure in my $/hr payrate while working on this. But this is more of a hobby for me to do.. So, I will update with a few pics later, but here is one to hold it over. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by rollmodel; Jul 28, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Looks good. To each his own, and like you said i might as well buy one from a company. Either way, good job.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

nice job did u do the whole ic pipe as one piece? or did u just do the top?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:42 PM

the pipe goes all the way to the intercooler.

i will grab a few pictures next time i take the bumper off, which will be at wrx/evo shootout held by buschur racing
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 05:59 PM

Due to some delay in my school life... Here are some more pictures of the outcome of the piping.

The upper intercooler pipe is two pieces, in one picture it is looking straight down where the airbox (would be) and you can see the coupler. I have not had any problems to date with the piping. I also had it bead rolled by a friend of mine (thanks Nick!)

I also painted the intercooler black due to some random evo attacks where I live. Trying to keep a low profile with the car as much as possible. The amount of paint that I put on the IC will not have enough of an affect on the heat transfer, so I am not too worried about that.

Just to inspire a little diy.

Total cost of the upper IC piping
~slightly over 200 bucks
6 t bolt clamps
1g dsm bov
2.5 304ss piping with an extra piece that will be used for the lower IC pipe
bov flange
having it tig welded

It would be easier to compare the entire price of the upper and lower pipe total.
I need 1 maybe 2 bends total to make the lower pipe, but I have not got around to it yet. I have started making the intake pipe though.

Here are the pics!

Looking through the airbox location. I relocated the factory 'not fun' solenoid (boost taper) off of the frame rail for clearance.

My buddy Nick hit the upper pipe with a quick run on the polishing wheel. One pass, looks pretty nice.

I will have a few pics of the intake pipe coming up shortly... Hope you enjoy!

Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For a moment it looked like Buschurs UICP
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:10 PM

Here is the start of the Intake portion of the piping

This is a approx. 50-75$ project.

Pulling apart stock intake (its a pain in the *** to get your hands in here.. good time to have a girl to help )

Bend that I have for the job compared to stock rubber tubing

Test fit - the bracket is from Buschur Racing's filter kit. This will not be reused. I just did not feel like removing it while making the pipe.

After cutting down the ends - approximately how the filter will sit

Alternate view of filter placement

I don't believe that water will get into the filter (after shutting the hood and trying to see the filter). It sits really nice - I may consider shortening the pipe a little to bring the filter in closer, but I have to weld the recirc tube on along with a few other tubes for the valve cover and boost solenoid.

Questions/comments welcome. If it looks like crap, tell me

You can also see how the UICP is routed to without the filter in the way.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
For a moment it looked like Buschurs UICP
I think that their piping goes into the intercooler with a straight coupler and is a little shorter. I am not sure though as I have not seen one in person with the bumper off.

I made this piping to work with an intercooler from them that has the outlets in the stock location, as that will be one of my upgrades in the future.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I think it looks pretty good.

I'm not sure on the whole intake thing just because it looks like if the filter does suck up some water it is going straight into the turbo like it would down a drain and there could be issues with the MAF if you don't tune for it. If you have another 45 I'd weld that on and lay the filter flat a little farther away from the turbo. I do have a couple of questions.

Are you beading the ends of the pipes?
If not have you had any issues with them blowing off?
Is it 304?
Where did you get your tubing?

I just got some 3" OD 304 SS for exhaust stuff and it wasn't cheap but, I got a good price on the 304 plate I needed to make the flanges from the same guy so, it worked out.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Jul 5, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I think it looks pretty good.

I'm not sure on the whole intake thing just because it looks like if the filter does suck up some water it is going straight into the turbo like it would down a drain and there could be issues with the MAF if you don't tune for it. If you have another 45 I'd weld that on and lay the filter flat a little farther away from the turbo. I do have a couple of questions.

Are you beading the ends of the pipes?
If not have you had any issues with them blowing off?
I ran it without the ends beaded and I did not blow off the ends. According to my autometer mechanical boost gauge it spikes to 23 psi and falls to 18-17. Take that for what you will. I have a turbo back exhaust and the filter. No MBC. I have taken it through turns and hard breaking, anything to rack the body and get the pipes to come free and nothing.

I do have them bead rolled now though, with no issues.

As for the filter, I am going to check and see how well it fits and check out the possibilty of water getting in. I do not believe it will be a problem though with the placement, but adding a section only takes a few minutes.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:50 AM

looks good great job.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Very nice work.. That could easily pass for a Buschur Upper pipe setup..

Not everyone has the skills required to do it themselves, and some of those who do, prefer to pay for someone elses time (figure 2 hours of labor, and $200 of supplies) so in all it costs about the same to buy them already made nowadays..

The only time I see custom pipes these days on an evo is if you have a specific need or an unusual route... Big Turbos which are offset to the right more than stock to clear the radiator are a perfect example..
Old Jul 9, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

good job.
the uicp loosk real good
screw buying someone else's products.. its all about making your own
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:34 AM

Great job. Looks real good for a diy.

Quick Reply: Homemade intercooler piping