Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What would you do with 6 grand and a new IX?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Warrtalon and would wait a few months for some more CAM options (GSC is releasing cams in Sept. timeframe for ~600)...

SO I would add Cams and ARP Head Studs to the list as well....

cij

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Then you don't frequent the board often, because we say it all the time.

Devolutionist, if you're asking what mods for 6k, then here ya go:

- Warrtalon/Buschur package = $1270
- Walbro Fuel Pump = $85
- LICP = $225
- ported/coated stock mani = $195
- ported/coated stock hotside = $195
- coated SS O2 housing = $200
- SMC alky = $500
- BR FMIC = $695
- Exedy Twin HD = $1500

That's around $4900 and will put you at or above 400whp/400wtq with a clutch that will hold all the power and last a long time. Use the rest for installation costs or some minor things like SS clutch line, SS brake lines, upgraded pads, upgraded brake fluid, rear sway, etc.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 3" Exhaust and a good reflash will give you 400bhp and cost you $2000. Get an exhaust system that is built and sounds the way you like it, not one that is the cheapest. That's the #1 regret people have. They buy the cheapest exhaust and then they have to suffer through the fitment problems and unbearable highway drone. Test before you buy.

The remaining $4000 dollars left over can go far if you invest it in a turbo system and don't mind doing the labor yourself. We installed a GT3071 on a few IXs (including Bobby Rahal's EVO) which end up making a very responsive and tractable 450bhp on 93oct. Think twice about alchy unlessl you have a good way to guard against pump failure, jet clogging. And unless you have the ability to switch maps (and/or don't mind carrying a laptop around with you), stay away from it completely.

Porting manifolds and o2 housings help a little but not that much. And the stock clutch will last just fine unless you decide to drag launch your car at every stoplight. An intercooler upgrade is also helpful if you are trying to squeeze out the last bit on a high-boost/high hp application. But that isn't what we are talking about here so save your money for the time being.

The only downside to this recipe is that you will have 1000rpm more lag than stock. However, the turbo is capable of supporting 500bhp so you certainly have room to grow. Something you wouldn't have if you kept the factory turbo.

Just my 2c,

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 15, 2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
A 3" Exhaust and a good reflash will give you 400bhp and cost you $2000. Get an exhaust system that is built and sounds the way you like it, not one that is the cheapest. That's the #1 regret people have. They buy the cheapest exhaust and then they have to suffer through the fitment problems and unbearable highway drone. Test before you buy.

The remaining $4000 dollars left over can go far if you invest it in a turbo system and don't mind doing the labor yourself. We installed a GT3071 on a few IXs (including Bobby Rahal's EVO) which end up making a very responsive and tractable 450bhp on 93oct. Think twice about alchy unlessl you have a good way to guard against pump failure, jet clogging. And unless you have the ability to switch maps (and/or don't mind carrying a laptop around with you), stay away from it completely.
I guess on the west coast they speak in terms of HP to the crank because they lack WHP . Don't be fooled by this slick verbiage designed to give the appearance of greater performance. Hell if that was the norm, I would have 600+BHP in my signature with 127.62mph trapspeeds.

Someone who tries to imply that a system with affordable pricing would have to be poor fitting should be your "red flag" to look at their price tag first as they try to build value by implying claims of poor fitment with a less expensive competitors product with scare tactics.

Test before you buy? Does Vishnu have a try it before you buy it program they have not advertised to the public? If not the advice is moot.

Secondly, watch out for these exhaust systems that purposely and blatently use odd length piping and unique flanges designed so that if you buy the company's downpipe, you also have to buy their HFC, test pipe and catback. This is a big no no because as when you buy a turbokit as Shiv advised, the turbokit's downpipe WILL NOT FIT their testpipe and/or catback flanges. If you buy the catback in many cases, you are forced to buy other exhaust products as well, just to get it to work on some manufacturers.

Lastly, anyone that says "stay away from meth injection" either lacks confidence and experience in tuning it, does not have a meth kit of their own, does not sell tuning tools with sufficient safeguards to tune safely and repeatably or is just oblivious to the advantages of this octane booster and knock deterrent.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I guess on the west coast they speak in terms of HP to the crank because they lack WHP . Don't be fooled by this slick verbiage designed to give the appearance of greater performance. Hell if that was the norm, I would have 600+BHP in my signature with 127.62mph trapspeeds.

Someone who tries to imply that a system with affordable pricing would have to be poor fitting should be your "red flag" to look at their price tag first as they try to build value by implying claims of poor fitment with a less expensive competitors product with scare tactics.

Test before you buy? Does Vishnu have a try it before you buy it program they have not advertised to the public? If not the advice is moot.

Secondly, watch out for these exhaust systems that purposely and blatently use odd length piping and unique flanges designed so that if you buy the company's downpipe, you also have to buy their HFC, test pipe and catback. This is a big no no because as when you buy a turbokit as Shiv advised, the turbokit's downpipe WILL NOT FIT their testpipe and/or catback flanges. If you buy the catback in many cases, you are forced to buy other exhaust products as well, just to get it to work on some manufacturers.

Lastly, anyone that says "stay away from meth injection" either lacks confidence and experience in tuning it, does not have a meth kit of their own, does not sell tuning tools with sufficient safeguards to tune safely and repeatably or is just oblivious to the advantages of this octane booster and knock deterrent.
I think I hurt someone's feelings. Sorry, it was not intentional. As for your last comment, I've tuned more alchy set ups than I can remember (Turbo magazine's project EVO pops into mind). As for having our own meth kit, does reselling an SMC or Alchycontrol kit make it ours? As for protection, our XEDE is the only engine control system to actively gaurge agains meth kit failure induced leanrun. It's kind of hard being wrong on all accounts but you did it with flair

FWIW, our turbo kit comes with a new downpipe that mates up to any standard cat-back. Regarding your "scare tactics" comment, I'm just relaying what I've been told by countless customers who regettably purchased the cheapest exhaust they could find. I believe similar comments are smattered all over these forums if you choose to do a search.

As for BHP vs. WHP, I pick BHP because WHP will vary by as much as 20% depending on the dyno that one is talking about. If you want to talk about trap speeds, it takes 400whp on our dyno to run 122 traps. 450whp to run 126 traps. And 500whp to run 130 traps.

-shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 15, 2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I'd put it all into a RobiSpec suspension including lightweight rims and wider tires. That would leave your warranty intact and save you from falling down the confusing / frustrating / never-ending / expensive mountain of engine tuning.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:41 AM
Account Disabled

I think I hurt someone's feelings. Sorry, it was not intentional. As for your last comment, I've tuned more alchy set ups than I can remember (Turbo magazine's project EVO pops into mind). As for having our own meth kit, does reselling an SMC or Alchycontrol kit make it ours? As for protection, our XEDE is the only engine control system to actively gaurge agains meth kit failure induced leanrun. It's kind of hard being wrong on all accounts but you did it with flair
Sorry sir. Our MAFTPro AFR tracking auto richens AFR on meth injection lean condition. Furthermore MAFTPro auto switches to pumpgas map upon electrical failure of the meth injection system. Lastly our zeitronix automatically switches MAFTPro to a pump gas map, boost and AFR (regardless of meth spray or not) upon reaching 925*C (which can also be set by: AFR, TPS, boost, rpm as well).

It appears MAFTPro+Zeitronix trumps in all areas. Cheers

As for BHP vs. WHP, I pick BHP because WHP will vary by as much as 20% depending on the dyno that one is talking about. If you want to talk about trap speeds, it takes 400whp on our dyno to run 122 traps. 450whp to run 126 traps. And 500whp to run 130 traps.

-shiv
So I am reading, that because "your dyno" appears to read low, you are justified in using BHP in a thread whose benchmark it WHP. If you say so... I just won't let it go un noticed.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
TTP > Buschur
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I would get a clue.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
It appears MAFTPro+Zeitronix trumps in all areas. Cheers
Does it control ignition timing now?

-shiv
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Sell the car and lease a C6 Z06.

Scorke
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedomodel
I'd put it all into a RobiSpec suspension including lightweight rims and wider tires. That would leave your warranty intact and save you from falling down the confusing / frustrating / never-ending / expensive mountain of engine tuning.
Golden
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by devolutionist
Just as the title asks.... What would you do with 6 grand and a new Evolution IX MR? Just curious to hear what all you seasoned eight owners would do if you were in that position.

I would get more later, but to start APR Widebody, intake and exhaust! AMS would come next!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BensLancer
I would get more later, but to start APR Widebody, intake and exhaust! AMS would come next!
Don't listen to this kid, any other person in this thread had a much much better idea.....

Scorke
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:29 AM
Account Disabled

Does it control ignition timing now?

-shiv
As a result of MAFT HZ changes, yes.

But for direct ignition timing cell programming ECUFlash for $89 does that for you.

Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Get a NICE pair of wheels, that will cut your 6grand in half LOL. Then get the regular bolt on mods