Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

for those curious on aftermarket H.I.D results (pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
how much was the install if you don't mind my asking?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These kits are decent, but dont expect them to last too long.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoEvo
These kits are decent, but dont expect them to last too long.
So, IYO, which kits are the best as far as quality and durability. I know that the good stuff is Philips/OSRAM(sp.?), but alot of kits just use Philips style components and not the actual Philips ballasts and etc. I´d like to know what high quality kits are out there as I intend to purchase HID´s soon. Thanx
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Most of the kits are pretty decent they're just not meant to last, NONE of them. You get what you pay for. A $300 kit isnt going to give you the same longevity and reliability as very expensive OEM HIDs
Old Jun 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

I live in the country and the oem hid's are very bright and project very well. They realy light up the entire area.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

doesnt look bad at all.

kudos for you.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Most of the kits are pretty decent they're just not meant to last, NONE of them. You get what you pay for. A $300 kit isnt going to give you the same longevity and reliability as very expensive OEM HIDs
don't listen to this idiot, he keeps spewing misconceptions, on 2 other threads, he claims 400hp would be completely unreliable on an evo (dynojet 400whp). THis guy has no idea what he is talking about, your kit will last just as long as OEM HIDs as long as you didn't touch the glass part of the bulb with any part of your body (no bodily oils or any kind of oil residue can be on the bulb)
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

In
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Update please.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:42 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

The light pattern on the 9006 non-HID projectors is pretty good. Sharp cutoff and wide spread. It just happens to be dim. With the aftermarket HID, it really makes it 10x better and not as much glare as HID on other cars.

I have the http://www.hidexpert.com kit since the car was new. They use OEM Denso ballasts from Ford and Lexus and OEM Philips D2S 4300K bulbs (the only DOT approved color) so it isn't blue or purple - just OEM look and reliability. Plug and play kit, no running wiring to the battery, splicing or anything needed. Just plug into the 9006 plug and stick it in the headlight.

Last edited by ZK; Jul 18, 2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Like i said in the initial tpost, You have NOTHING to worry about, just go with a 6000k kit. I got mine from xenondepot.com (with all philips parts) and i will take some more pics for ya but its SO hard to determine quality in headlights in a photograph. Do not be scared to upgrade to HIDs. You really will not regret it. Any more questions just PM me.

Last edited by Bigl4201; Jul 18, 2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have a non-SSL IX. I installed a generic kit myself and what I thought would take 3 hours to install took the whole day! The reason was I had to create a relay to power the ballast directly from the battery since the stock source did not give enough amps. So I had to go back and forth to Radio Shack and I finally got it to work. If anyone is having this problem, I can create a schematic free of charge =).

Anyways, I was worried about blinding oncoming traffic as well. I went to test the lights out with a friend and the cut off is (relatively) great. It isn't as sharp as true HID projectors, but they were better than my friends Z. Btw, I got the 6000K bulb.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bigl4201
Like i said in the initial tpost, You have NOTHING to worry about, just go with a 6000k kit. I got mine from xenondepot.com (with all philips parts) and i will take some more pics for ya but its SO hard to determine quality in headlights in a photograph. Do not be scared to upgrade to HIDs. You really will not regret it. Any more questions just PM me.
I'd be curious to hear your opinions a year or two from now. If they were still holding up like new I'd be surprised.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:41 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

I'd be curious to hear your opinions a year or two from now. If they were still holding up like new I'd be surprised.
There are lots of crappy HID kits but there are good ones as well. You just have to know what you're looking for. Don't put down all kits just because you've had bad experiences with some.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
There are lots of crappy HID kits but there are good ones as well. You just have to know what you're looking for. Don't put down all kits just because you've had bad experiences with some.
nicely put. Which is why i bought the kit from xenondepot.com with all philips parts.

Quick Reply: for those curious on aftermarket H.I.D results (pics)