Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

for those curious on aftermarket H.I.D results (pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those look really nice. From what I can see on that wall, looks like the cutoff is pretty good. My SRT had 6000k kit from somewhere, i forget where. Mine were illegal though, I had no projectors. They lit up the streets well, but blinded people. No more of that. WIth the evo thou, I'm thinkin of doin HID's again. xenondepots a bit steep, i had all philips stuff for around 350, but like its been stated, you do get what you pay for.
Looks good though.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:50 PM
Admin Alumni

I have stock HID's in my MR......yours look kool and the gang. nice work!!
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:54 PM

You should be able to adjust the vertical positions of the headlights. I had to do that when I swapped headlights ( RSX ) with someone and my HID's were not as bright. The manual should have something on it. I also have the XenonDepot 6000k kit. I got it back in November 03. Still works like a charm.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Looks nice, I'm gonna have to do the same... I miss HIDs...
Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
There are lots of crappy HID kits but there are good ones as well. You just have to know what you're looking for. Don't put down all kits just because you've had bad experiences with some.

I didn't even put down any kit whatsoever, I'm just saying durability and longevity aren't a significant quality of aftermarket HID kits

Bigl I wish you the best of luck with your setup as I know a couple people personally who had problems with the McCulloch kits as far as longevity is concerned. Don't get me wrong the kit you have is probably the best aftermarket one you can get, I'm just saying long term reliabilty COULD be a problem.

EDIT: I thought you had a McCulloch kit from HIDPLACE which is why I questioned the longevity. If you have a genuine phillips kit it should last longer than any mcculloch or xaixen kit.

Last edited by RenoEvo; Jul 18, 2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
I didn't even put down any kit whatsoever, I'm just saying durability and longevity aren't a significant quality of aftermarket HID kits

Bigl I wish you the best of luck with your setup as I know a couple people personally who had problems with the McCulloch kits as far as longevity is concerned. Don't get me wrong the kit you have is probably the best aftermarket one you can get, I'm just saying long term reliabilty COULD be a problem.

EDIT: I thought you had a McCulloch kit from HIDPLACE which is why I questioned the longevity. If you have a genuine phillips kit it should last longer than any mcculloch or xaixen kit.

No sweat man. I didnt take any offense because i figured you stated that because maybe you hadnt possibly read all the info which made it not even worth arguing over because i feel that philips is probably better than McCulloch quality wise. When I did the install I did a lot of research and went with the best kit i could find. Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:33 AM
UCB
Evolved Member

anyone have cut-off pictures? Thats the most important part. I wanna see if there is a lot of glare
Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I think I'm going to get a set of HID's soon. I've been looking at the xenon depot kit and the ones from www.hidplanet.com The XD kit is like $40 more and may use better parts but I'm not sure. Anyone know about the hidplanet kit?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:30 PM
e8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
I think I'm going to get a set of HID's soon. I've been looking at the xenon depot kit and the ones from www.hidplanet.com The XD kit is like $40 more and may use better parts but I'm not sure. Anyone know about the hidplanet kit?
+1

I too want to know what makes the XD kit better than the HIDplanet. Why are the Philips parts better than Mcculloch?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

^i think philips just last longer....i got mcculloch's on my IX gsr, but found out about this after i bought it
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:41 PM

i have the 8000k macolluch kit on my IX non ssl.... the output is amazing and looks excellent... my friend hooked me up with the kit and has had an 8000k on his m3, and his brothers cobra for over 2 years... neither have ever had a problem... for 340$ im very happy with this purchase...
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:16 AM
Account Disabled

Those look amazing, I was planning on buying a Mculloch kit for my evo
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:17 AM
Account Disabled

Those look amazing, I was planning on buying a Mculloch kit for my evo. What heat range are those bulbs?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

they are the 6000k kit. Another reaason i went with the philips kit is becaause the ballasts in that kit are super thin, which makes mounting in tight areas a little easier.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
The light pattern on the 9006 non-HID projectors is pretty good. Sharp cutoff and wide spread. It just happens to be dim. With the aftermarket HID, it really makes it 10x better and not as much glare as HID on other cars.

I have the http://www.hidexpert.com kit since the car was new. They use OEM Denso ballasts from Ford and Lexus and OEM Philips D2S 4300K bulbs (the only DOT approved color) so it isn't blue or purple - just OEM look and reliability. Plug and play kit, no running wiring to the battery, splicing or anything needed. Just plug into the 9006 plug and stick it in the headlight.
I like that 4300k denso kit a lot......For the price you cant beat it, that is def. the kit im getting as soon as I save up some money

Is there any delay flipping from high beam back to low beam?

Quick Reply: for those curious on aftermarket H.I.D results (pics)