Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

for those curious on aftermarket H.I.D results (pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those curious on aftermarket H.I.D results (pics)

ok i have base evo ix and i really regreted not getting the ssl package when i turned the lights on the first night and could not see ANYTHING. I have never had a car with hids before and that was really all i cared about in the package because i have a habit of leaving my sunroof open in the rain. Plus i didnt feel like shelling out the extra money for things i felt were unecessary. I bought the hid kid from xenondepot.com and had them professionally installed because i cannot find any tools in my house and i wanted the piece of mind that nothing was hooked up wrong. When i got the car back i was VERY impressed. i had researched for weeks on the topic and heard about light being "scatered" everywhere and was nervous i would see my lights up in the trees but this was not the case at all. I wont lie the cut off beam isnt the greatest but it really is not bad at all. its almost perfectly straight to the edges where it goes up a litttttttle bit and there are very small "hotspots" but none of which is even noticeable white driving at all. even when i pull up behind a car the line looks very straight against the bumper. So my advice to those whom want to do it but thinking they might regret doing it because they may not be satisfied with the outcome, i can just say im verrrrry picky about stuff like this and i was so completely satisfied . i have the 6000k kit from xenondepot and the lights look incredible (see pics). sorry about poor quality but my camera sucks and does no justice for pics that i take.

Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Care to share an exact link to the ones you bought? I tried searching the site to find info/price but gave up.

Would you say the overall light is better and/or the range from left to right is better? Comment on both? Brights change?

I'm in the same boat, so very interested. I too didn't wanna pay 3500 for stuff I didn't want.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:57 PM

bump
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

http://xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=3

theres the link you need make sure to choose the 9006 kit.

range is way improved

for example: i live at the top af a hill and i would say the road is a quarter mile long. i could see my lights in a street sign very far away and you can see further off the road so much better. the light is very blue but not to much, its classy looking and sure makes people lok at your car more. You will NOT regret doing it, im so picky about this stuff and i would give it an 8 out of 10, seriously. the reason for no 9 or 10 out of 10 is because you can notice the cutoff but it really will not bother you at all. You cant even notice it unless your 2 feet away from a garage door. ill try to get a shot of that up here soon, maybe tomorrow, and the reasaon for no 10 is well.... because theyre not factory

Last edited by Bigl4201; Jun 15, 2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

the reason your HID's dont scatter the light is because you have projector lenes. cars without projector lights and the cutoff, such as the 04-05 STI do scatter the light and sometimes show too bright.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the pictures. i will take some of mine tonight when sun's out.

i got my kit from this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...4&page=1&pp=15 - got the 5300k kit for best output. just installed it myself and cant wait to see the result

the right beam shoots farther than the left, but i was told that's the way factory HID's are too as to prevent blinding oncoming traffic (my rx330 and s2k are also like this: right side shooting farther)

will post my pics in about 3 hours
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
the reason your HID's dont scatter the light is because you have projector lenes. cars without projector lights and the cutoff, such as the 04-05 STI do scatter the light and sometimes show too bright.
the projector lens in Non-SSL headlights are HALOGEN projectors, NOT HID projectors, which is why you see that glare that blinds oncoming traffic (albeit it's not as bad as HID kits in regular non-projection OEM halogens)
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf

exactly, i knew i had projector lenses already or else i wouldnt have done it(i re-searched a lottt before i did it). so i figured "how bad could it possibly be ?" and i can say that i am TOTALLY satisfied.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llxzxll
the projector lens in Non-SSL headlights are HALOGEN projectors, NOT HID projectors, which is why you see that glare that blinds oncoming traffic (albeit it's not as bad as HID kits in regular non-projection OEM halogens)

sorry. but i have been driving for 2 days and nights and have yet to be flashed by oncoming traffic. i HIGHLY doubt anyone is being blinded by the inch that it comes up on both sides.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Can you post pics of the HID's shining against a white wall, about 15-20 feet away? Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Man, I want this kit. It really does suck not having HID's. I think its a rip for them to not offer HID's standard on EVO's, STI's do. C'mon 30k car and no HID's. I miss my JDM DC5 HID's on my RSX. Those were nice and bright. Had to trade it in, without the headlights of course.

I would also like to see wall pics.

Last edited by gomezgoku; Jun 15, 2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llxzxll
uuhhhh, there is almost no difference between the "2" projectors, except that the one used for the halogen headlight has a cut off. i have opened up both type of headlights and saw almost no difference. and by the way, a projector is a projector, and cannot be classified as halogen or HID. its the bulb that makes the difference.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

I was going to get that kit. After this post I will for sure. Is everything that is needed included in the kit? Do I need to change the fuses or anything like that?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bestthereis27
I was going to get that kit. After this post I will for sure. Is everything that is needed included in the kit? Do I need to change the fuses or anything like that?
if u get a plug and play kit then no, it's just plug and play. no splicing etc. required.

tomorrow night i will ask my bro to drive my car, and i'll drive another car to see if my HID's are blindingly bright or not.

so far my cutoff is pathetic...can only see like 5 feet in front of me. will raise it a bit then drive around in another car to see if it's too bright....

just tryin to help out the topic here info like this is a bit lackin imo, at least when i was researching before committing buying the kit i now have.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

well to answer some questions i will get you guys a pic of the lights tonight but its hard to take pictures of a light put out and get good result. I thought it was a rip off to not have hid's in a 30k car but mitsu did put more performance into it than the 03's that DID have hid. Factory hids < more performance . everything was included in the kit to install correctly and i made sure absolutely nothing was spliced / cut into because it was NOT necessary to do so. Totally plug and play. like i said , its not like i see my lights up in the trees when im driving. The light doesnt even shine higher than the bumper infront of you, so im almost positive nobody is being blinded. some people make putting hid into halogen projectors sound like youre commiting a felony but it comes out totally fine.

Quick Reply: for those curious on aftermarket H.I.D results (pics)