Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

400 whp IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400 whp IX

I currently drive a 2000 Audi S4, but I really want to get an evo IX. I've been doing a little research and heard that it is pretty easy to get 400whp out of the IX. What mod's would I need to do, and how much money would it cost to get a IX to 400whp? Thanks in advance for all the help guys. Oh here's a link to some pics of my current car in case anyone wants to trade (+ $$) of course.

http://www.jadedbeats.net/s4/
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice car!! I spent a little over $1000 on the Evo 9 and got 304/304 on 91oct on a Mustang Dyno but it really depends on what brands you go with and what mods.

My mods are:
3"tb,cat,Buschur cone,Unos MBC,Dynoflash mail in.

That gives you an idea of some cost and power..

My .2c

Carlos
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:18 AM

Damn those are good numbers for the money you spent. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a newbie when you first sign up, it is important to read the rules stickied at the top that are in CAPITAL LETTERS with asterisks flanking it. One of the rules it to search before posting, and if you're a newbie, use the newbie forum.

You're correct that the IX is a nasty beast and can get to 400whp fairly easily, but for me to just answer the question straight up without asking you to do a little research first would be irresponsible. I think a great place to start is to look at the package in my sig and build from there.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

400whp(I'm assuming on a dynojet) isnt that easy to obtain even on a IX because at that level you need a lot of supporting mods to run safely and reliabely. This includes a beefed up fuel system, stronger clutch, larger intercooler, etc. You also need to more specfic about your goals. Do you want to hit 400whp on pump gas, race gas, pump gas with alky injection? If you choose to utilize the stock IX turbo it will be on the absolute limit so you may want to consider a bigger turbo. 400whp would be obtainable on the stock turbo but it'll definitely be maxed out.

Last edited by RenoEvo; Jun 16, 2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

Reno, you make it sound much harder than it is. I think you're just used to 91oct and DynoDynamics results. 400whp in a IX with the stock turbo on 93+alky isn't really a big deal. People are getting 350-360 on pump gas with exhaust/mbc/tune then around 380 with those mods on race gas, and we haven't even started talking about cams/header/o2/fmic/licp.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Warr you got it wrong. I plan on hitting 330-340whp ON 91 OCTANE on a DD once I get tuned w/ GSC 280's,licp,o2,tbe,and filter. My point is its not that easy, and its expensive to run it reliabely.The clutch will not last long at the power level if you're racing, Im sure you can attest. Also I'm sure you can agree that the stock fuel system will need to be upgraded when your in the 370-400whp range (pump,injectors). I think the main point here is that anything around 380-400whp (dj) you're at the limit of the stock IX turbo.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice car....

400hp on an IX is a pretty sweet goal... and should be really easy. Listen to what these guys above are saying and you will be there in no time.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know what I got wrong - you didn't mention anything.

Of course the clutch would need to be upgraded, but that has nothing to do with getting 400whp easily. He would need to upgrade the clutch even at 300whp if he's racing. I blew mine out back when I had 270wtq on a Dynojet. No, he won't need injectors, especially with alky/meth (reduces IJD). So, that leaves no issues. Yes, that may be at the limit of the stock turbo, but it's still very easy to get there and not very costly.

On my slower VIII with no IX turbo and no MIVEC, I am in the 370-380whp Dynojet range with 390-400wtq and run that reliably on a daily basis to/from work while drag racing, autocrossing, and road racing regularly. It wasn't expensive (even if I had actually bought the parts), and it's not unreliable. It's much easier to get where I am and beyond with a IX.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

It looks like "easy" is a subjective thing at this point. I made it sound a little difficult so our newbie friend would be thorough with his decisions and not half *** his brand new IX. But you should include the clutch anyway because he'll need it. It doesnt directly have anything to do with him hitting the numbers but you have to take into account because its necessary. I guess it isnt that hard to hit the 400whp number with a IX but to do it RIGHT it will be fairly costly. The main expenses being labor, tuning, HD clutch, cams, and exhaust. well I'm going to bed, Warr do you ever sleep? lol

Last edited by RenoEvo; Jun 16, 2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

It Should Not Be That Hard To Reach 400whp On A Ix.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WynnS123
I currently drive a 2000 Audi S4, but I really want to get an evo IX. I've been doing a little research and heard that it is pretty easy to get 400whp out of the IX. What mod's would I need to do, and how much money would it cost to get a IX to 400whp? Thanks in advance for all the help guys. Oh here's a link to some pics of my current car in case anyone wants to trade (+ $$) of course.

http://www.jadedbeats.net/s4/
To Warrtalons point -- It is easy and relatively cheap to get to 400 whp. To others points, depending on how you plan to use the car (and drive it), you may or may not need to spend a little more to improve usability (e.g. clutch if you are dragging).

I have a IX with just MBC and Flash and dyno'd over 300whp. I plan on getting a TBE and Cams and being around 350 - 360whp. At that point the next move for me will be Alky. After that you need to start thinking about turbos, fuel components, ECU, etc. (and things get more expensive).

That said, with 350 whp you should be able to out perform pretty much most other cars (makes) on the street or track. Good luck
Old Jun 16, 2006, 06:46 PM

So what would be the most power you could get out of an evo IX with a stock turbo on pump gas - 93? I'm not really in to drag racing, but I would like to take it autocrossing every now and then.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
It looks like "easy" is a subjective thing at this point. I made it sound a little difficult so our newbie friend would be thorough with his decisions and not half *** his brand new IX. But you should include the clutch anyway because he'll need it. It doesnt directly have anything to do with him hitting the numbers but you have to take into account because its necessary. I guess it isnt that hard to hit the 400whp number with a IX but to do it RIGHT it will be fairly costly. The main expenses being labor, tuning, HD clutch, cams, and exhaust. well I'm going to bed, Warr do you ever sleep? lol
You're just wrong, and have been since your first post on this thread. 400 hp can be done without an upgraded clutch. It will hold the power fine, and for ever if he is a decent driver and doesn't launch it. It is an easily attainable goal in a IX.

He needs:
-TBE
-Tune
-Alky
-New gsc 280's, when they arrive

Edit: With these mods people are already from 360-380 WHP w/ 25-28 psi of boost; w/o the cams! They aren't out yet!

If the cams don't net 20-30 whp, big deal, ditch the idea and rock a FMIC kit, a header, and an 02.

Last edited by KOEvo; Jun 16, 2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

what kinda gains are you seeing with the headers?