Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My HKS gauges will be mounted...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2003, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My HKS gauges will be mounted...

here.

After changing my oil today, wen't ahead and test fitted the location on to where my gauges will be. They're not hooked up yet reason being is that I can't find a hole from the firewall to run boost and temp hoses. Does anyone have any ideas where I can run these to the firewall? LoL! My last resort is to drill. My turbo timer will be in shortly as well.

Last edited by DB8GSR; Apr 20, 2003 at 01:39 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, hate drilling the wall too. At first I'd run things through the door, in throgh the fenders, and eventually snake it through into the engine bay. Great if you're doing all your cockpit to engine bay transactions in one shot, but if you're like me and upgrade things slowly, then you'll notice that you'll get annoyed at having to remove the fender everytime you need to run something from inside out. I suggest drilling one strategic, well positioned hole, getting a real nice rubber grommet for it, and use it for many things to come.

just my opinion, but if you're that worried, then do it the extra labor hours way.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Dunno if it's there on the 8, but there's a prime rubber boot you can drill through on the Lancers. It's above and to the left of the dead pedal; check my registry for a pic.

I used it to run my power wire to the battery. That rubber seals unbelieveably tight, and it runs along the inside of the driver's side quarter panel and outlets right beside the battery.

Again, I'm not sure if the Evo has the same body layout, but if it does, it'd be a nice place.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

good location, looks great
Old Apr 20, 2003, 03:47 PM

Looks bad ***
Old Apr 20, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I ran the boost line (and amp power lead) through the rubber wire boot on the passenger side of the firewall. You can see it looking down along the firewall from the engine compartment, and its right above the carpet area of the passenger footwell inside.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Very good location for the gauges. I will probably mount mine there as well. It is one of the best places discovered so far. Buschur has a kit in the same location. I am hoping that vendors will make a pod similar that will replace the steering column cover. The only gauge its blocking when sitting at driving level is the gas level. (Not visible in your pic due to camera being centered at gauge level). Sweet though!

Any thoughts on visor mounting anyone? Seems like an OK location as well.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 2Cool
I ran the boost line (and amp power lead) through the rubber wire boot on the passenger side of the firewall. You can see it looking down along the firewall from the engine compartment, and its right above the carpet area of the passenger footwell inside.
I did see that. Did you cut an opening on the boot? I'm a little hesitant cutting something in there because there are like hundreds of wires coming in and might accidentally cut one. There's a soft spot on the boot so i dunno.

Btw... it looks great where I mounted the gauges. They're infront and it's not a distraction at all. The cool thing is that the gauges follow the steering column when it's being adjusted up or down.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Ahhh! my current install, are two gauges in those very two places! I did some preliminary investigation and found the place without having to do anything wierd:

http://www.collectracecars.com/evo/mechgaugeinstall.htm

I should say depending on where your leads go in the engine compartment, six feet of wire/tubing may not be enough since you have to go across the dash through the very end of the passenger side firewall, then to where-ever you need to go. I suggest you start with at least 8 feet and cut off the excess... good luck and nice choices by the way.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

10mm screw on the side of the rubber, lose it and you are all set..
but your boost gauges only 1.5 bar?!?! you are already stock at 1.3... hmm. are you planning to do more boost?!

Originally posted by DB8GSR

I did see that. Did you cut an opening on the boot? I'm a little hesitant cutting something in there because there are like hundreds of wires coming in and might accidentally cut one. There's a soft spot on the boot so i dunno.

Btw... it looks great where I mounted the gauges. They're infront and it's not a distraction at all. The cool thing is that the gauges follow the steering column when it's being adjusted up or down.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

My thoughts exactly!!! Is a 1.5 bar boost gauge going to be enough???
Old Apr 20, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

nice spot and the gauges look awesome, too bad I promise my wife I wont be doing anything to my EVO for the first year
Old Apr 20, 2003, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

he must brought it from the guys that having the civic stage 3 drag turbo which only running max at 7psi.. hahah....

Originally posted by Turboniam
My thoughts exactly!!! Is a 1.5 bar boost gauge going to be enough???
Old Apr 20, 2003, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by netmand

http://www.collectracecars.com/evo/mechgaugeinstall.htm

I should say depending on where your leads go in the engine compartment, six feet of wire/tubing may not be enough since you have to go across the dash through the very end of the passenger side firewall, then to where-ever you need to go. I suggest you start with at least 8 feet and cut off the excess... good luck and nice choices by the way.
Yah.. i saw that too but the hose is too short to go around. Also, that hole is located on a tight area. Hard to reach.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by wing240
10mm screw on the side of the rubber, lose it and you are all set..
but your boost gauges only 1.5 bar?!?! you are already stock at 1.3... hmm. are you planning to do more boost?!

I did that too.. lol.. but unfortunately the hose is too big. Won't fit on the hole. Granted.. I need a hole that's wider to accomodate the temp hose as well.

Yes.. 1.5 bar for now. Stock boost is all I need and don't have plans on upping the boost level. But I do need a manual boost control to get constant boost all the way to redline!

Quick Reply: My HKS gauges will be mounted...