Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO vs. WRX Shootout Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
They did not show up at the NHRA race here in Denver, unfortunately...

It was 1 of only 2 events on their June schedule - not much to look at there, and I guess you can't count on them showing up.

yea, that was the only one they missed that i heard of. i'm sure there's a good reason they missed it. they won that event last year and julie broke a personal record too.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evokiller I am a mitsubishi lover, but just stating it like it is.

Sean
Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sean I
Evokiller I am a mitsubishi lover, but just stating it like it is.

Sean

haha. same here. i love both cars and i'm even contemplating getting the evo x.

but i loooooove my subaru.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Conrats to Dan Buschur for the win, AMS for a new record and Al for a new PB. My luck with Norwalk continues.. Off the trailer no real launch, low boost shift into 5th 9.8@138. Turned the boost up, 35 taper to 31.8 on the log, harder launch 1.41 60, 4.1 330, 6.2@113 1/8 and 9.68@141, but the car nosed over real bad after the 1/8th so
I let out of that run early, good thing cause the rod bearing was gone(again!!). I would think with a harder launch and 38 psi on a full pass it would run 9.3@149 or so. Back to the drawing board on the motor. It was the rod on the flywheel side, no clue as to why it happened, 20/50 redline oil, ATI damper, ect.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:00 PM
Account Disabled

Evokiller the guys on here for the most part don't know about the NHRA/NOPI drag racing with the weight rules etc.
Julie Stepan ESX has a 3200lb WRX/sti that runs full interior an auto and radials and goes 9.1 and has gone 150+mph. As of right now no mitsubishi at that weight can touch her on radials.
It is what it is eh.

Her min weight this yr checked after every race is 3200lb+ or she gets dqed.

www.nhraimport.com has results for the races.

Sean
I agree with you on the weight issue 100%

At least two of the evos at the race where only "evos" by appearance - at what point do the "results" become less significant when you are comparing for example a 3200 lbs evo to a 2600 lbs evo ?

Like a paper tiger what is beheath the skin is gutted and everything is stripped out to impress with a huge result to generate sales and attention but with a car that is a empty shell ?

The reality is however - that ESX had a huge racing buget with over 2,000,000 per year while they are at a higher weight its still irelevant to what a "street car" is

The ESX car is something thatg eats more $ than any rational person will waste on a "sportsman" drag car

if it helps sell slowbarus by making them "cool" I guess it is money well spent

The issue of course is where you draw the line of when a car becomes a straight out drag monstrosity ??????????

2,500 lbs ?

Dog Box

Auto Trans?

Tube car

I think it is good that you mention the fact that NHRA or real racing has weight requirements while the informal "shootout" style racing is basically anything goes

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jun 18, 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I agree with you on the weight issue 100%

At least two of the evos at the race where only "evos" by appearance - at what point do the "results" become less significant when you are comparing for example a 3200 lbs evo to a 2600 lbs evo ?

Like a paper tiger what is beheath the skin is gutted and everything is stripped out to impress with a huge result to generate sales and attention but with a car that is a empty shell ?

The reality is however - that ESX had a huge racing buget with over 2,000,000 per year while they are at a higher weight its still irelevant to what a "street car" is

The issue of course is where you draw the line of when a car becomes a straight out drag monstrosity ??????????

2,500 lbs ?

Box Box

Auto Trans?

Tube car

I think it is good that you mention the fact that NHRA or real racing has weight requirements while the informal "shootout" style racing is basically anything goes

But bro they have headlights in their car man !!!!

Sean
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:14 PM
Account Disabled

But bro they have headlights in their car man !!!!

Sean

Master Ivey - at $2,000,000 per year they better have headlights !

Seriously man

I weigh 3250 in my car - ESX has to add balast to make weight with the tiny ant like driver they have

It seems the trend is to gut and strip evos to make

"time attack" wide body sports cars and also 2500 lbs drag specials

I am not sure I will be following that trend

I still enjoy taking my evo out on the road once a week

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jun 18, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CBRE
Conrats to Dan Buschur for the win, AMS for a new record and Al for a new PB. My luck with Norwalk continues.. Off the trailer no real launch, low boost shift into 5th 9.8@138. Turned the boost up, 35 taper to 31.8 on the log, harder launch 1.41 60, 4.1 330, 6.2@113 1/8 and 9.68@141, but the car nosed over real bad after the 1/8th so
I let out of that run early, good thing cause the rod bearing was gone(again!!). I would think with a harder launch and 38 psi on a full pass it would run 9.3@149 or so. Back to the drawing board on the motor. It was the rod on the flywheel side, no clue as to why it happened, 20/50 redline oil, ATI damper, ect.
Buschur has the rod issue 100% fixed - hope you try one of his engines

Great times today !
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I weigh 3250 in my car - ESX has to add balast to make weight with the tiny at driver they have

that's because they keep increasing the weight restriction for AWD cars each year.

they were even told that if they go any faster, the rules will be changed again to add more weight.

i don't care how much money they dump into the car. money can't beat physics. at a certain point, you can only make a heavy car go so fast.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evokiller
that's because they keep increasing the weight restriction for AWD cars each year.

they were even told that if they go any faster, the rules will be changed again to add more weight.

i don't care how much money they dump into the car. money can't beat physics. at a certain point, you can only make a heavy car go so fast.
I am glad you realize that weightg is a huge issue when comparing drag times

Sadly, I think many only care about who is the fastest - period- without asking critical quiestions about state of race prep to get a given result
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

I am glad you realize that weightg is a huge issue when comparing drag times

Sadly, I think many only care about who is the fastest - period- without asking critical quiestions about state of race prep to get a given result
When they don’t compete at sanctioned events those questions never get asked or addressed.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

ftp://ftp.sysadmin-racing.com/videos...lash_final.wmv

Since you didn't respond to me Al, I'll offer up this video. ASLEEP.

I still like you though =)

I just have a lot of fun busting your stones, and besides I get a little bit of slack since you liked my other movie =)
Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you sure 3200 is the weight for AWD in NOPI?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
you sure 3200 is the weight for AWD in NOPI?

i think he was referring to NHRA.

afaik, there is no weight restriction in nopi.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

dont worry btw SRvids was there with a film crew
lol that was kinda funny seeing them there, thier camera from what i was told was possibly a 1/3 of the cost of my buddies...

hes a free-lance producer and can do some pretty cool ****. www.nbfilms.us

he got some good footage of the event and some stuff from the nite before, i don't really remember what we all did the nite before, but thats why we record things right?

hes gunna edit it up this week and get it all worked out.

another thing i found funny, and tho the girls b/f im sorry but it just didn't make sense in my head. AMS made a post a little while ago asking for hot chicks to model thier new t-shirts or something, well while filming my buddy noticed one of the ams guys had this BEAUTIFUL g/f... if you saw her u'll know what i mean, why even start a thread like that if ya got the resources infront of ya... once again i don't mean to offend ya buddy, props to ya.

Last edited by TeamAccolade; Jun 18, 2006 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: EVO vs. WRX Shootout Update Thread