Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Highway?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saleen281
overall takes a ton of mods to beat anything other than a sport compact once traction is out of the equasion at speeds like 80... anything with decent weight and a v8 will kill you above 80 because hp is much easier to attain with displacement which evos are in desperately short supply of ( you should be used to that in your past car as well)... the only traction and weight are evos best weapons.... just hope he is heavy and unmodified if he has a v8
wtf...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. SS
you will not pull on a stock LS1 Z28 or SS (01+ the oned with the Z06/LS6 intake manifold) that is a 6 speed manual on a highway roll.. or LS2 powered cars, or any vette unless they didnt know they were racing.

i used to have a 01 ss 6 speed...
Agreed, people always far over estimate these cars. Evo's are gutless in 4th and 5th gear. Going down the 1320 i am pushed in my seat the whole way until i shift into 4th and i'm crawling to the traps looking in my mirrors because i'm bored.

AND YES, AGAIN, PEOPLE IN THE SPORT COMPACT CAR COMMUNITY CALL BIG HEAVY CARS "BOATS." YES your E55 AMG is a boat. and NO "boat" doesn't mean slow. What about that is confusing? I drew a pretty perfect line for ya there the first time around.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
Agreed, people always far over estimate these cars. Evo's are gutless in 4th and 5th gear. Going down the 1320 i am pushed in my seat the whole way until i shift into 4th and i'm crawling to the traps looking in my mirrors because i'm bored.

AND YES, AGAIN, PEOPLE IN THE SPORT COMPACT CAR COMMUNITY CALL BIG HEAVY CARS "BOATS." YES your E55 AMG is a boat. and NO "boat" doesn't mean slow. What about that is confusing? I drew a pretty perfect line for ya there the first time around.
your line is skewed.

"boat" traditionally refers to the big wallowy softly sprung cars of past like old b body caprices, and buick roadmasters etc, AND the fact that they were heavy.

cars like a E55 AMG or a E39 M5 are heavy, yes, but they are not boats, and neither is a GTO or a steel bodied ferrari 612 for that matter all of which are heavy cars.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

yes i must agree that 80+ is its weakness...a gto passed me on the freeway going about 85 and i tried to catch up with out him noticing but it was hard. on the other hand, my friends camaroV8 couldnt keep up on corners, ill say we both have pretty much even skills on cornering ryt there too.

although i have no doubts on my IX.

we all know the evo is a rally car and its not made to go around circles and go on straight lines like NASCAR
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I have no problem with mine on the freeway. Granted it's not a lambo or anything, but it's definitely fast. But maybe I say that because I came from driving gutless wonders my whole life. Either way, it's not slow, and it's definitely not hard to pass anything on the freeway. Heck, I never even downshift. 5th is fine for me.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a link that may help...in the end when the lancer and mustang take off together from a roll, they stay together pretty well. http://www.mievo.net/vids/evocobra.zip

Also check out this 3rd gear pull

http://www.mievo.net/vids/495pull.zip

Last edited by 0zlancer; Jun 20, 2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

evo the same as h22 on the highway?

.....no dude. that's just way off sorry bud. i'm an ex-honda fanboi.

to the OP: the Evo has plenty of acceleration on the highway, from 60-110. keep in mind that it's a rally car, and rally cars are designed to have rapid acceleration down low only...rally cars rarely go deep into the triple digits as their primary objectives are overcoming corners and road conditions.

that said, a couple of bolt-on's, esp. on the IX will give you much better high end power. but honestly, if u're looking for a highway monster, get an american muscle. sure they will never have the Evo's awd grip and handling ability (unless u're talkin c6 vettes), but different strokes for different folks....and some ppl just love straightline over handling.

get an 03 cobra and call it day. or get an mkIV supra or z32 if u want import..

good luck mate
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Get a Supra.

Wait, don't, I don't think you're ready
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
evo the same as h22 on the highway?

.....no dude. that's just way off sorry bud. i'm an ex-honda fanboi.
Cool, i don't even really like Hondas and i can honestly say that i have been in my friends prelude, and H22 accord both w/ bolt onz when they stay right with a STi, and an Evo for on the freeway; i'm pretty sure they were both stock.

Also i have been killed by almost everything i have raced on the freeway from a GS-T Eclipse, S4, to Trans Ams. And i'm a perfectly average driver if you check my sig, i am exactly on par with the Evo's potential.

You're odviously one of these people who line up with Vipers on the freeway and thing you have a fighting chance, PAlease.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Cool, i don't even really like Hondas and i can honestly say that i have been in my friends prelude, and H22 accord both w/ bolt onz when they stay right with a STi, and an Evo for on the freeway; i'm pretty sure they were both stock.

Also i have been killed by almost everything i have raced on the freeway from a GS-T Eclipse, S4, to Trans Ams. And i'm a perfectly average driver if you check my sig, i am exactly on par with the Evo's potential.

You're odviously one of these people who line up with Vipers on the freeway and thing you have a fighting chance, PAlease.
haha i call your bs..... My integra is way faster than a "h22 accord and prelude", and its from my own driving experience being as its my own car not my "friends" that there is no way in hell that a 190hp stock car is faster than close to 300 hp all wheel drive.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I drive an EVO why would i lie, making my own car look bad? I WAS IN THE CAR.

And they have bolt ons, but take that for the grain of salt it's worth.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

great. i used to own a h22 accord, and then i had a dc2 gsr. gsr was faster than h22, my mr2 turbo was faster than gsr, and my s2k is faster than mr2 turbo, and s2k's as fast as Evo's on the highway.......

unless u meant ur friend's lude and accord both had jrsc as "bolt-on's", cuz by then those cars will actually have a chance.

maybe u're Evo is suffering boost leak, or ur friend has more mods than they're telling u, or......

use power-weight ratio and other laws of physics logistics and u will realize that what u're saying is not possible mate.

the last sentence u typed is just completely unnecessary. interesting why u said it though

i'm not trying to start a war with u, but it seems like u're eager to turn this into one or somethin'. refrain from using comments like ur last sentence and u might make more friends bud
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not on here to make friends so i don't care. I would go get a myspace if i had problems with that.

And NOPE no leaks, look at my sig. It's actually a pretty strong '05. SSL though...

I was also pretty much even with an E36 M3 with only intake... I actually lost but had 2 more people in my car.

Both those H22 cars only go as far as cams.

And based on the subject that we are on, othe things are more important then power/weight ratio. Most important is gearing, which is really what we are talking about right now anyway. Secondly AWD, anybody can beat a stck WRX on the freeway w/ a stock Civic.

I'm done fighting on this subject though, i guess we all have our own experiences, i just haven't had yours yet. But in the end, highway pulls aren't even a form of motorsport so who cares? I would dominate all those cars at the track any day.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not on here to make friends so i don't care. I would go get a myspace if i had problems with that.

And NOPE no leaks, look at my sig. It's actually a pretty strong '05. SSL though...

I was also pretty much even with an E36 M3 with only intake... I actually lost but had 2 more people in my car.

Both those H22 cars only go as far as cams.

And based on the subject that we are on, othe things are more important then power/weight ratio. Most important is gearing, which is really what we are talking about right now anyway. Secondly AWD, anybody can beat a stck WRX on the freeway w/ a stock Civic.

I'm done fighting on this subject though, i guess we all have our own experiences, i just haven't had yours yet. But in the end, highway pulls aren't even a form of motorsport so who cares? I would dominate all those cars at the track any day.
Evo's aren't highway kings, but they're nowhere near as slow as ur experiences show...it's pretty weird. i can't discuss my specific experience here to back myself up, so i guess we'll just leave it at this

and u're right the track is where Evo makes home. so if the OP is just lookin for a highway monster, the Evo may not be the best choice. good luck mate.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kuni62
I am going to buy a new car very soon and I would like some help. I do a lot of highway driving, so 60 to 110mph is far more important than 0 to 60mph. How does the Evo do in this regard? Anyone have highway stories? Or anything that would help me know what the car is like on the highway? I recently sold my chipped Gti 1.8t, any comparison?
I may be wrong but it sounds like you were referring to daily highway commutes and not actual highway racing, if so;

Evo's are great, but the MR (6-Spd) would probably be best. Even with my foot lightly on the throttle to maintain a steady pace (damn MIA cruise control) the RPMs stay at 3K+...if I speed up a bit to pass a car, quickly up to 4K RPMs...and the gas needle starts dropping.

At times like those, I think..."damn, sure would be nice to have an extra gear".
Just my .02

Quick Reply: Highway?