Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Highway?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I have posted the same question on a few other forums (for other cars) and nothing has come close to the response I got from you guys. 3 pages!

As I have picked up from this lively discussion, the Evo might not be the best bang for the buck when it comes to 60-110 acceleration. GTO’s and Cobra’s are nice, but I need something that has a decent back seat and does not look like an egg with wheels. Although the Evo doesn’t fare well on the highway, the itch to have one has not gone away (kindly refrain from the easy itch joke). I have a couple more weeks before I get home and the decision has not become any easier.

Thanks for all the feedback, this forum has been great.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an MR and the 6-speed seems to do nicely on the highway. Never driven a 5-speed though, so I can't compare. Dropping into 5th from a 80 mph cruise has nice pull. If you want highway ability and an Evo, I would get an MR.

Had a little fun with [my friend's] GTO the other day [on his private ranch] and it had pretty much a straight exhaust; it sounded like a top fuel dragster. Rolled on from about 30 mph from 2nd gear and the Evo could hang on until getting into 5th, then the GTO started to walk. Not too bad IMO. Those GTOs are pretty freaking fast!

Last edited by ITEM9; Jun 21, 2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kuni62
As I have picked up from this lively discussion, the Evo might not be the best bang for the buck when it comes to 60-110 acceleration. GTO’s and Cobra’s are nice, but I need something that has a decent back seat and does not look like an egg with wheels. Although the Evo doesn’t fare well on the highway, the itch to have one has not gone away (kindly refrain from the easy itch joke). I have a couple more weeks before I get home and the decision has not become any easier.
Sounds like you need a test drive to throw you over that decision hurdle. If you know someone that has an Evo, ask them (nicely)(offer them gas money). Go to the dealer and take a test drive...warning though; you'll be hooked
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
.MM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
For comparison for a VW guy, an Evo in 4th/5th gear is barely faster then a lightly modded VR6. I have found that STI's and Evos are about as fast as an H22 Honda on the highway, honestly.
LOL!!! are you out of your mind?

an H22 in an EG civic hatch maybe...but not a prelude

i had a 20-120 run with a H22 Prelude the other day, that had full bolt ons and a 75 shot of nitrous. My stock IX MR, put 2 car lengths on him.

the evo isnt a highway pig, but it's not slow either
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by .MM
LOL!!! are you out of your mind?

an H22 in an EG civic hatch maybe...but not a prelude

i had a 20-120 run with a H22 Prelude the other day, that had full bolt ons and a 75 shot of nitrous. My stock IX MR, put 2 car lengths on him.

the evo isnt a highway pig, but it's not slow either
Yeah, you're exactly correct. we are talking 80+ here, not 20 on up. Evo will walk a TON of cars starting at 20.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by kuni62
Thanks for all the help. I have posted the same question on a few other forums (for other cars) and nothing has come close to the response I got from you guys. 3 pages!

Thanks for all the feedback, this forum has been great.
After driving my Evo on the highway for a 90 mile comute each day for 2 years, I have found I wish I had another car for highway work. Infact GT cars are more or less what come to mind. Like everyone said I believe an GTO or a Charger would be great in this department. Although the EVO can be made to have highway pull its not its strong point. The engine revs too high for crusing in my book. 3500 rpm at 80mph eats fuel pretty fast.

After watching Jeremy Clarkson and his highway races I wish I could have either and Aston Martin or A Scalligetti 612 for this kind of work
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea pretty much everything on the freeway is a waste of gas these days.. and with everyone doing 65 in the fast lane, it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

However, my IX with exhaust and tune can pull on most SS Camaros I run into in 4th and 5th. Of course I can't talk of that so it was of course a dream I had. An almost weekly occuring dream