Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Highway?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highway?

I am going to buy a new car very soon and I would like some help. I do a lot of highway driving, so 60 to 110mph is far more important than 0 to 60mph. How does the Evo do in this regard? Anyone have highway stories? Or anything that would help me know what the car is like on the highway? I recently sold my chipped Gti 1.8t, any comparison?

I would go test drive one myself, but I am out of the country.

Also, thanks for the forum; it has really helped me get to know the car before I make the final decision.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know what you are doing 110 for on the highway BUT the car is powerful...what are you trying to compare it to?

street racing is not to be spoken of on this forum so that rules out highway stories
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kuni62
I am going to buy a new car very soon and I would like some help. I do a lot of highway driving, so 60 to 110mph is far more important than 0 to 60mph. How does the Evo do in this regard? Anyone have highway stories? Or anything that would help me know what the car is like on the highway? I recently sold my chipped Gti 1.8t, any comparison?

I would go test drive one myself, but I am out of the country.

Also, thanks for the forum; it has really helped me get to know the car before I make the final decision.
its not a topend monster stock.

but the car is certainly capable of improvement in top end prowess..

bone stock u will lose to LS1's, LS2's, 03 cobras, Mach 1's, LS6's, M5's, MKIV's from 80+ mph.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kuni62,

Since you mentioned that you had a chipped GTI, was it the first gen GTI 150hp or the 180hp? I wish I could speak more on street stories but I wouldn't let down the moderators, a GTI chipped is nothing compared to the Evo on the highway.

A new 200 hp GTI traps down about 95mph 1/4 mile while a newer Evo 9 would trap around 105, even a older 03-04 Evo could easily trap 100 plus.

I also own a GTI VR6 as we speak, my car trapped 91MPH and is rated at 174 plus air filter(maybe 180hp). Your chipped GTI should trap around 90-92mph on the 1/4 mile so yeah, definately behind any Evo.

I can tell you also the outcome of a 300hp Jetta FWD (1.8 turbo kit,intercooler,tons of mods) vs my Evo MR when I only had a MBC, 3"TB and air filter, my car pulled on him easily above triple digits.

My .2c

Carlos
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:35 AM

It was the 180hp model.

I am surprised to hear that it can’t keep up with MKIV’s from 80+. Mine, with chip and CAI could barely take a WRX
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:44 AM

overall takes a ton of mods to beat anything other than a sport compact once traction is out of the equasion at speeds like 80... anything with decent weight and a v8 will kill you above 80 because hp is much easier to attain with displacement which evos are in desperately short supply of ( you should be used to that in your past car as well)... the only traction and weight are evos best weapons.... just hope he is heavy and unmodified if he has a v8
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Please excuse an old man for being a little dense. I'm trying to understand the highway run concept. If my comprehension is correct, it involves pulling up to another car at 60-80mph, opening the throttle and seeing who accelerates faster. Is that right? I'm obviously missing something, as this type of endeavor seems to be an automotive equivalent of a tug of war where the team with the biggest/strongest guys win solely by the virtue of their size.

Last edited by FJF; Jun 19, 2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

i would get PONTIAC GTO.............just free flow the exhaust, intake and tune......now nobody cant touch u on the HWY,,

and u dont have to spend lots of money as we do on our evo to make it fast and its alot relaible due to bigger engine and less stress to the engine,,,,,,,,not like our evo,,,,,we put too much stress on our small engine and it donst last long,.....
its just my oppinion after i blew my enigne
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yesevo
i would get PONTIAC GTO.............just free flow the exhaust, intake and tune......now nobody cant touch u on the HWY,,

and u dont have to spend lots of money as we do on our evo to make it fast and its alot relaible due to bigger engine and less stress to the engine,,,,,,,,not like our evo,,,,,we put too much stress on our small engine and it donst last long,.....
its just my oppinion after i blew my enigne
With the greatest of respect, you are talking through your *** {thumbup
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

what s wrong with GTO? w/ 6.0L LS2 Engine ...?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

personally I prefer cars to boats...

there's plenty of other V8 options I would go with before a GTO...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

GTI is much lighter than Evo , only 29xxlbs for a 5sp GTI 1.8t
GTI 60-80 is amazing
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

For comparison for a VW guy, an Evo in 4th/5th gear is barely faster then a lightly modded VR6. I have found that STI's and Evos are about as fast as an H22 Honda on the highway, honestly.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:34 AM

I sold a chipped/bolt on GTI for my EVO. My Evo is stock and I know the EVO will smoke the GTI below 80mph. However the EVO is a bit weak over 80 in part due to gearing. I hear the EVO IX is a bit better though.

Pros of Evo on highway.

High speed handling is better than the GTI.

Cons.
Bad Gas miliage.
No Cruise Control

However, the EVO kills the GTI except for highway use. Honestly I am in love with the driving experiance in pure stock form. The car is simply a driver's wet dream come true.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

had a golf 1.8t with many many mods including a k04 and a huge spearco fmic, and that thing pulled my a mfer up top due to the 5 valves per cyl. but now i have a stage 4 evo with a evo 9 20g-9-5 and i think i would run all over my old car up top.

Quick Reply: Highway?