Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What will cure my illness?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good thought FJF.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:50 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

I don't know about you guys... I drive my 97 Civic LX with a slipping clutch daily and when with my wife, her 02 Toyota Echo, and every time I sit in my Evo afterwards I'm scared of it. My 03 Evo now has 20k miles and I don't need much more power. I'd love to have more suspension mods though.
On the highways I drive like a pu$$y anyways. I don't need speeding tickets.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

A stock EVO is slow, its not your imagination. I say its slow because compared to a modded one, its very slow. Youll never really be satisfied with how fast you get because theres always faster, however, once its over 400HP, it will never feel SLOW, youll jsut want it even faster!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You just need a normal daily driver. Something that will make you appreciate the Evo's power when you drive it.

Or you could build a shifter kart and use that to get your jollies.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Are you comfortable tuning or do you have a device to tune? There is no cure, but i found that a few mods and a tuning device will help. You can make two maps, one for economical driving with low boost and one for the throw back power we all crave. I have an safc and a few bolt ons and i run ~18-19 psi daily with no fuel adjustments. With my mods it feels a tad bit faster then stock. If i need some speed I can turn everything up and it is a whole different beast. Of course you can throw in some race gas, up the boost, lean out the mix and your car will feels like you threw cams in there.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

well, only way to battle this sickness is to mod, mod to the point you feel is good enough for you. also as someone else said i do this 5 days outa the week, i drive my spare car to work and around town for lil tedious errands, but on my days off i drive the evo. and it always feels damn good to get behind the wheel.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have a POS subi loyale that I drive daily and its slower than a golf cart, but it doesnt help. Soon2BEvo, that is the response I was looking for. As long as it doesnt feel slow once I hit 400whp I think I'll be good. Im sure I'll want it even faster as time goes on, thats a given, but at least it wont feel slow anymore.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

i think modding would definitely cure it. sooner or later u'll know ur pushing too much hp.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

i had a modded 03 8 (325whp) and traded it for my BR350IX #005, The BR has 4900 miles on it and is still a blast to drive,feels even stronger now than when i first got it.I also drive a 95 jeep grand cherokee(6 cyl.) everyday so maybe thats one of the reasons the BR still feels fast to me.I,m happy and content having a low to mid 12 sec. daily driver and i doubt if i will outgrow the power it has now. I dont have any plans to mod this car anymore than whats on it now,just cosmetic upgrades.I,ve been into performance cars for over 30 years now so maybe i,m just a little more grown up that way that i appreciate the power i,m making with a reliable warrantied rocket.If i were you i would just do a BR-Warrtalon package,for the money and power you,ll be making i think that will keep you happy for some time,Well untill you outgrow that power(LOL).
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:16 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
I have a POS subi loyale that I drive daily and its slower than a golf cart, but it doesnt help. Soon2BEvo, that is the response I was looking for. As long as it doesnt feel slow once I hit 400whp I think I'll be good. Im sure I'll want it even faster as time goes on, thats a given, but at least it wont feel slow anymore.
I think you drive your Evo too often.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not really proud to say this but I did a highway run last night on an empty freeway and reached 130mph. That's the fastest I ever drove. The freeway started to curve yet I was able to go through with no fears. It's like this damn car is on rails... needless to say I love the way the Evo handles.

I think it'll be more fun with an upgraded suspension, tires and power. The only thing I didn't like was from a roll, dropping a gear didn't feel much. It reminded me when I watch my friend drop a gear in his RSX that did absolutely nothing in terms of instant response (damn 4 cylinders?). It's ok I'm bonestock but now I want to upgrade
Old Jun 20, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I dont drive it that much. I bought it May 12 and I just passed 1200mi. on the odometer, 550 of those were on the drive home from south coast mitsu!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
When I purchased this car I thought I was in for a real speed rush especially coming from a 97 M3. Every piece of info I read entailed that the IX is a rocket on wheels, and is super quick and WAY faster than previous evos yadda yadda yah. I thought for sure the stock power would be good for a while, but how wrong I was.

When I first got it a little over a month ago, I was definitely stoked with the power it had. Theres nothing like being sucked back in your seat when you floor it and hitting 19psi of boost for the first time in your life!! Dont get me wrong, I love this car more than anything else on the road. In my eyes its the ultimate street car that is only surpassed by a few expensive exotics. My only problem now is that its starting to feel SLOW!

At first I thought I was going crazy, thinking I had a weak one from the factory or my boost was leaking. But I'm 99% sure its all in my head and I'm just getting used to the power. I started my self medication by adding a works drop-in and only driving her on really cool nights (50 deg.) which helped for awhile, but now its all the same again. I wanted a car that scared the living hell out of me and made me think twice about going WOT unless I was on a track or some open highway, but unfortunately this isnt the case with a stock IX, at least for me.

So my question to all of you power fiends: Will modding cure this illness or will I just become adjusted to that power as well, making it a full blown uncontrollable lusting addiction for more and more? My ultimate goal for this car is 370-390whp on pump w/o alky. (tune,catless tbe,cams,licp,o2,filter) and I'm hoping this will be more than enough for me (fingers crossed). For those at or around this power level, is it sufficient? Do you wish you had more, or is it too much for a daily driven street car?

I'm worried I'll end up spending a fortune @ AMS to make the car feel fast to me, and if thats the case I might have to buy a whippled cobra or a new z06 instead and keep the evo as my daily driver. I know some guys with 650-800rwhp cars and a lot of them say "it doesnt scare me like it used to". Am I on a crash course to self destruction and financial ruin? Is there any cure for my disease?

sorry...only you can change that...the way i see you is, your one of those crazy motha@#$%%s on the street...my advice is.. think about the other people around you and not just yourself...when youre on the freeway, dont just cut people off and there could be a whole family in there and something might happen to them...think about your family[if you have one], well at least thats the way i think, its not being scared but being responsible...YOU SHOULD KNOW WHEN TO GO FAST AT ALL TIMES...one simple mistake, who knows...maybe youll learn a lesson from it...you should also set a limitations on your car...400whp would be a little too much to have for a daily drive. my co-worker's only son died recently[06.17.06] he's 18 going to be 19 on 06.19.06 from an unexpected car accident...a speeding car struct his car.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lowbdgtmechanic
sorry...only you can change that...the way i see you is, your one of those crazy motha@#$%%s on the street...my advice is.. think about the other people around you and not just yourself...when youre on the freeway, dont just cut people off and there could be a whole family in there and something might happen to them...think about your family[if you have one], well at least thats the way i think, its not being scared but being responsible...YOU SHOULD KNOW WHEN TO GO FAST AT ALL TIMES...one simple mistake, who knows...maybe youll learn a lesson from it...you should also set a limitations on your car...400whp would be a little too much to have for a daily drive. my co-worker's only son died recently[06.17.06] he's 18 going to be 19 on 06.19.06 from an unexpected car accident...a speeding car struct his car.
thats so sad

was the person street racing or just going too fast?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

The only thing that helps these ravings is more mods and beating the hell out of people...And as for your quest for 390 whp, you will never do it stock turbo without alky my .02

Quick Reply: What will cure my illness?