Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What will cure my illness?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowdbdgt Im sorry you feel that way. Thank you for your input but Im perectly safe and sensible when it come to driving on public roads. One just needs to use common sense and know their limitations. If Im one of those "crazy" ***** then you must really drive like an old fart. I definitely see plenty more extreme and risky driving on the streets than my own. I think I'm right in the middle of the scale when it comes to modest-extreme driving.

As for a 400whp evo being too much power for daily driver I seriously doubt that, but everyones different. I've drove Vipers, v-12 turbo S600s, 360 modenas, vettes, built stangs etc. so I'm pretty used to feeling a lot of power/torque. I think thats why I got adjusted to the evo so quick.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowbdgtmechanic
...400whp would be a little too much to have for a daily drive.
I hope youre kidding
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:40 PM

if you find a cure please save me a pill
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

Heres what I do. Buy a low powered $hit box and drive it half the time and your Evo will feel like heaven for as long as you own it.

It'll even save you gas money lol
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you can afford to get the new Z06 on top of the Evo, then do it. I know I would.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Using myself as an example, I have an Opteron 165 that's rock-stable at 2.6GHz (+48hrs dual Prime). I run it at 2.15GHz, because the CPU isn't used for anything that requires such high clock speed. I've been happily married for 15 years, and I'm very content with how much money I make. It's all about one's general attitude toward life. If one finds himself constantly craving more and more, with decreasing appreciation for what's already in place, perhaps it's time to step back a bit and have an honest look at the bigger issues at play.
Perhaps, but then again you did overclock your CPU just to try it out, didn't you?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:10 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ez76
Perhaps, but then again you did overclock your CPU just to try it out, didn't you?
I think you missed my point in its entirety. Good luck.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

My point was that there is a large continuum between being happy with what you have and never being happy with what you have, and that along this continuum you have everyone from the curious overclocker to the outright mod addict. There is room for all of us and there is no need for judgment.

Originally Posted by FJF
folks have varying needs, preferences and expectations

Last edited by ez76; Jun 21, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:21 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ez76
My point was that there is a large continuum between being happy with what you have and never being happy with what you have, and that along this continuum you have everyone from the curious overclocker to the outright mod addict. There is room for all of us and there is no need for judgment.
At the risk of responding to a strawman argument, please keep in mind that my comments were aimed at the following passage:

Originally Posted by rio-evo
Speed is like money, women, cpu speed, memory, and time....you never have enough.
Given your post, I fail to see the point of contention.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
You got to stop somewhere and be satisfied or it will drain you dry.
Definitely the most logical response but I think we'd all agree there isnt much logic in adding parts which further devalue a constantly depreciating asset.

I guess you just have to come to a point where you simply can do no more without going all out. My current setup is essentially maxed (beyond pulling the cat and bumping up my alky jet) and I've slowly come to accept that. I'm not willing to invest in a new turbo that could put this car in the 10s or deal with the inevitable issues that come along with having a car that fast.

My advice would be to do a TBE, MBC, Drop in, and a Flash, you'd then have a capable of doing high 11s

Originally Posted by ZK
Originally Posted by FJF
Using myself as an example, I have an Opteron 165 that's rock-stable at 2.6GHz (+48hrs dual Prime). I run it at 2.15GHz, because the CPU isn't used for anything that requires such high clock speed.
I really can't wait for the new Intel Conroe chips to make it out. Hopefully that'll take my mind away from tweaking a 30k item as my old A64 did at the time.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:38 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fury656
I really can't wait for the new Intel Conroe chips to make it out. Hopefully that'll take my mind away from tweaking a 30k item as my old A64 did at the time.
Ya know, I can play with computers all day, comforted by being able to slap one together in a matter of minutes and by not being able to launch myself into a tree at 150mph. When it comes to my $30K car, however, the spirit of adventure starts to decrease at an increasing rate. :-) I'd most likely feel a little different if I could outdrive the Evo, but I'm not even close to that point.

I really didn't mean to come off as sounding self-righteous. I have nothing against modding. I think it's a fun and bonding hobby. At the same time, I do think that never being satisfied leads to a generally unhappy existence.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

I could probably get the Z06 but after thinking it through its just too excessive, and a waste of money. I could have a whippled, low mileage, 04 cobra that runs mid 10's for around 30k. I'd have to be a millionaire before I had the ballls to drop that much on a vette. Just because you have secure finances doesnt mean you should **** it away on race cars, or other expensive passions. If I was like that I'd have a 997 turbo, a built cobra, the evo and be in debt big time
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:45 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
I could probably get the Z06 but after thinking it through its just too excessive, and a waste of money. I could have a whippled, low mileage, 04 cobra that runs mid 10's for around 30k.
I feel like I've already said to much in this thread, but here's what I don't understand. If straight line acceleration is of primary concern, why buy a rally car like the Evo whose performance envelope spans a much wider scope? Too, having driven the 'Vette and the Cobra, I cannot fathom how the two can be discussed in the same context. The ZO6 is so much more nimble. Forgive me for saying this, but it's as if the art of high performance driving has been reduced to its lowest common denominator - mindlessly flooring the throttle.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you got the $$$$$$money$$$$$ you can cure any illness you might have with your evo.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
At first I thought I was going crazy...But I'm 99% sure its all in my head and I'm just getting used to the power. Will modding cure this illness or will I just become adjusted to that power as well, making it a full blown uncontrollable lusting addiction for more and more? .... and I'm hoping this will be more than enough for me (fingers crossed). I know some guys with 650-800rwhp cars and a lot of them say "it doesnt scare me like it used to". Am I on a crash course to self destruction and financial ruin? Is there any cure for my disease?
Ummmm... no, you're screwed along w/ the rest of us. Even my bike is slow as crap to me now... Basically, it'll never be enough.

Quick Reply: What will cure my illness?