Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What will cure my illness?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What will cure my illness?

When I purchased this car I thought I was in for a real speed rush especially coming from a 97 M3. Every piece of info I read entailed that the IX is a rocket on wheels, and is super quick and WAY faster than previous evos yadda yadda yah. I thought for sure the stock power would be good for a while, but how wrong I was.

When I first got it a little over a month ago, I was definitely stoked with the power it had. Theres nothing like being sucked back in your seat when you floor it and hitting 19psi of boost for the first time in your life!! Dont get me wrong, I love this car more than anything else on the road. In my eyes its the ultimate street car that is only surpassed by a few expensive exotics. My only problem now is that its starting to feel SLOW!

At first I thought I was going crazy, thinking I had a weak one from the factory or my boost was leaking. But I'm 99% sure its all in my head and I'm just getting used to the power. I started my self medication by adding a works drop-in and only driving her on really cool nights (50 deg.) which helped for awhile, but now its all the same again. I wanted a car that scared the living hell out of me and made me think twice about going WOT unless I was on a track or some open highway, but unfortunately this isnt the case with a stock IX, at least for me.

So my question to all of you power fiends: Will modding cure this illness or will I just become adjusted to that power as well, making it a full blown uncontrollable lusting addiction for more and more? My ultimate goal for this car is 370-390whp on pump w/o alky. (tune,catless tbe,cams,licp,o2,filter) and I'm hoping this will be more than enough for me (fingers crossed). For those at or around this power level, is it sufficient? Do you wish you had more, or is it too much for a daily driven street car?

I'm worried I'll end up spending a fortune @ AMS to make the car feel fast to me, and if thats the case I might have to buy a whippled cobra or a new z06 instead and keep the evo as my daily driver. I know some guys with 650-800rwhp cars and a lot of them say "it doesnt scare me like it used to". Am I on a crash course to self destruction and financial ruin? Is there any cure for my disease?

Last edited by RenoEvo; Jun 19, 2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

it never ends. no matter what you get, you'll get used to it eventually. but there does come a point where your car is such a beast if you floor it, cops from miles away will hear you. so you're less likely to do it and it's a bigger rush.. so just get a really loud exhaust and save some money.. lol
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Yup, the curse of the speed bug is that you can never stop. Even if you quantify your speed (such as 1/4 mile times) you will always be asking yourself if you could go just a tad bit faster.

The best cures for this bug:
-drive a much slower car often then drive your Evo
-buy a bike (either way you'll go much faster or be dead soon enough trying to go that much faster)

Lol, they should make modding cars illegal...oh wait, it is...damn American muscle car bias!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

I have a POS 250,000mi. 90 Subi loyale that I drive to school/work that is slower than a lawn mower, but it hasnt made much of a difference.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, u mod it, it feels fast for a week or two and then its slow again, so u keep modding it for the temporary rush and its gone again. u will basically be a crack addict, instead of crack its speed...

there is no cure, sorry.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

I called the never end story, I had the same simtoms! Now that I don't have my EVO I wish i had it stock. i miss it so much. Good luck.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

Great, so I'm screwed, like I figured. Anyone with around 400whp care to comment? Are you satisfied or no?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going through the same feelings and had my IX for less than month. All the great stuff I read about the IX has probably got me little overhyped but I can see why it gets praises. I thought having 4 doors would be cool to roll around with friends but when I gassed it with 2+ people in the car it just felt slow and a waste of my gas.

I've already gotten use to the stock power of the IX which is dissapointing because my last car was an automatic with 70hp. Only time I get decent rushes is when I step on it riding alone on a cold night. Turbo lag on a 4 cylinder is kinda lame too me but I am fully aware of the potential of 4 bangers but always think how different would a 6 cylinder turbo be...

I love how the car handles as it makes a newbie like me be confident on turns but the heavy wieght of the car, awd, 2.0 litters and being a 4 banger may be too passive for me. Not enough excitement unless driving on twisties or if I ever take it to the track because I'm too scared to wreck my 30k+ car on the road or get another speeding ticket... I know if I did launches it would be a lot more fun but I'm afraid of breaking things too fast and too soon and hear too many stories about Evo trannies and tcases...

I think I might be a 6 cylinder fan.... I'm thinking of trading it in for MKIV TT Supra or doing a stage 1 for my Evo IX

I can see why people say modding is an addiction
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:47 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Try pitching the car into a few corners for some excitement. I'm sure you'll find plenty of room for improvement, but it won't be as simple as bolting on parts.

Last edited by FJF; Jun 19, 2006 at 02:50 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

i think once you get a big turbo on there you'll think differently. The lag of a bigger turbo and the feelin like your getting shot out of a cannon doesn't go away. The stock turbo spools quickly and you dont feel the torque spike as long. A bigger turbo will slam you back to the point where leaning forward is too much to ask .
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

well I'm sticking with the stock turbo. Hopefully putting down 400whp will be enough, if not Ill get a cobra and keep the evo for my daily driver.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
well I'm sticking with the stock turbo. Hopefully putting down 400whp will be enough, if not Ill get a cobra and keep the evo for my daily driver.
good plan.

u eventually become "speed blind" to everything, but i personally feel high torque V8's are a bit more difficult to get speed blind to....
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:24 PM
Account Disabled

If you find a cure please let me know
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:25 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Nope, it won't end. I've friends who had 800rwhp Supras and they got used to it after a while... their pursuit of even more power ended up in blown motors.

You got to stop somewhere and be satisfied or it will drain you dry.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
You got to stop somewhere and be satisfied or it will drain you dry.
+1

Quick Reply: What will cure my illness?