Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why I love Evos: Accident avoided today on freeway.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why I love Evos: Accident avoided today on freeway.

I just got home from this happening: I was heading home on the Temecula Freeway, I-15 North (five lanes wide), in heavy fast moving traffic. I was one lane away from the fast lane going 70ish mph. A semi 40 yards ahead hit a bump and somehow dropped a couple of large wooden planks, probably 2 x 10s. They fell through the semi's wheels and were broken into dozens of large airborn projectiles big enough not only to shread tires and break glass, but to go through windshields and possibly impale drivers. I quickly checked my blind spot to see if I was clear to move over to the fast lane. It was clear so I without thinking veered extremely hard left about 14 feet. The Evo just did as told: it bit, turned left, and immediately recovered right were I placed it, on the left edge of the fast lane. Despite this, several smaller chunks of wood still hit my hood and windshield. Everything felt good, but I pulled off the freeway to check my tires, intercooler, oil cooler, etc. All checked out Ok.

Honestly, the swerve I pulled off to avoid that lumber would have crashed almost any other kind of car. And the Evo did it with a such a casual composure that my heart never even started racing. It didn't even seem like a close call. Amazing: I LOVE THIS CAR! Has anything like this happened to you? I'll bet if anyone checks the CalTrans report right now it'll show a disturbance at the I-15N and Winchester Road. I'll bet someone crashed behind me, but not me
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those Ohlin's musta helped a little bit
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, similar thing has happened to me here in Chi-town. Bunch of 2x4's flying around on the road ... quick flick of the wheel is all it took (even w/out Ohlins ) to evade them.

I definitely love the fact that anytime someone decides to get stooopid, I know that I can either outaccelerate, outbrake or outmaneuver bad traffic situations in my Evo.

l8r)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Not positive that this is related, but sure enough, there was an accident reported on the 15N with lanes blocked right at around the same time this happened: http://cad.chp.ca.gov/
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I used to think the same thing until my overconfidence introduced me to the world of upside down roof drifting.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Hooray for threads like this...boo for roof drifting...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Evos are rated excellent in accident avoidance (or something like that) in consumer report
saved me once from crashing into a truck too...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silvery_eagle
Evos are rated excellent in accident avoidance (or something like that) in consumer report
saved me once from crashing into a truck too...
true, but god forbid that your insurance company actually give a discount for driving a car that can AVOID accidents...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Hooray for threads like this...boo for roof drifting...
I almost peed my pants, ROFL X1000
Old Jun 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Are you kidding me? Try driving into san diego for once and it happens all the time. Everyday I drive in san diego and seems like everywhere I go there is at least one idiot not paying attention who almost swerves into me. I constantly always have to be on the lookout for them so that I can maneuver into a safe position.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:01 PM

Love that story.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

driving on 405 and 60 and 10 freeway most days of the week in socal....i can definitely relate to stories like this.

lots of times ppl here just cut into ur lane without looking at u, so u'd have to swerve around really fast to avoid hitting them...

my Evo has saved me more than 5 times already from crazy hazardous situations on the freeway, and i've only had the car for about 2 months.

my mr2 was another story....if i swerved really quick i had to work on the steering so it doesnt spin out
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IE Evo
I used to think the same thing until my overconfidence introduced me to the world of upside down roof drifting.
Are we going to have to pass around a collection plate to get you into another Evo?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

It helped me this weekend. I was in southern Idaho on a road trip and going through the mountains thes deer decides to cross the road. So I serve to the left and I guess he thought it was a race to that side of the road. So being in a hard swerve left I put the brembos to work and darted right and was able to get by without getting him. It was very close but I never felt unsafe during all of this and if it wanst the evo I would have eather tagged the deer or we
nt off the cliff. Gotta love the control the car has
Unbeliveable
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Similar thing happened to me a while ago. I was getting onto the freeway, doing about 60, and a large semi parked on the side of the road decides to start merging into my lane without gaining speed first. At this time there was also another semi in the lane to the left of me not far behind. In order to avoid the merging semi I had to cut in front of the semi to my left, and gas it to avoid getting rear ended. All of this was in the rain too. My Evo just gripped like a m-effer and did what it was told. Made my heart race a little because the ground was wet and I didn't know what to expect. Plus I'm not sure how close I got to the semi to the left because by the time I looked back he was far behind. All I know is he honked his horn at me in anger. Either way I avoided a double collision with big freaking trucks.

Greatest car ever!

Quick Reply: Why I love Evos: Accident avoided today on freeway.