Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Should I add a parachute to my Evo ?
Yes - add all the saftey equipment needed to continue racing at drag events
39.02%
No - keep the car as a "sports car" and road going
60.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - 150 MPH to parachute or not to parachute?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
You need to add an option "should I go all out with the current car and buy another one as a daily driver"....

That is the one I would vote for.

Keith
+1
Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Or just upgrade the brakes, I know all the fast drag guys are running some tiny setup, how bout a set of decent pads and lines and rotors, some 2 pieces to shave some weight.... you might be surprised how much better the ystop you.

Scorke
Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I've always felt that cars like the Evo are designed to be street cars first. Having a streetable 9 sec car (with the trap speed to go high 8s) is a more impressive accomplishment to me. Also, im thinking that RWD/powerglide conversions are going to be happening soon so you'd be competing with yourself against shops with limitless resources and no concern for drivability.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I have a 6 pt roll bar for some time now

The drives bar pops out so its not even a factor when you are driving on the road

Its the full cage, window net, parachute, engine diaper, battery switch and neck collar part that I am having reservations about if I want to go 9.999 or better

That and a trip to the doctor to grab my ***** and inspect my anus as part of the physical exam required for a 9 sec NHRA license

lol- NO, the doc won't inspect those items! I'm licensed to 7.50 and it is just a FIA medical exam. Don't forget about the "fun" license passes w/ signed off and witnessed from another licensed driver.
Looking on NHRA.com' s 2006 rulez revisions (and interpret as you will): four-wheel-drive vehicles are permitted in repsective classes. Four-wheel-drive vehicles 9.99 and faster are prohibited. DOH- careful out there. Watch for the local track tech guy who is on that power trip and reads NHRA.com's rules daily.....

I haven't read IHRA's take on this. Stick to the outlaw tracks.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
You need to add an option "should I go all out with the current car and buy another one as a daily driver"....

That is the one I would vote for.

Keith

I agree with this young man.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
/\ agreed.....
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Do what you enjoy most! The one thing I like personally like is a car you can have for track and street. I would go ahead and get the stuff done and continue to make more power until it is a problem to even drive the car. As we all know once you get to a certain point everything keeps breaking, at this point your enjoyment is non-existant. You can always take the shoot off for fun on the street, and then go pound some times at the track. But keep the dash and carpet for the stock look, even though all they will see is the back bumper.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Safety first, and being kicked off of a track after the first pass because of tech issues is never any fun. I say put the chute on. Plus I have a feeling you are only want to go faster in the future.

A chute mount can be made so it is easily removeable and leave a small visual artifact of what is supposed to be there when it is off.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. It's gay
Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I have a 6 pt roll bar for some time now

The drives bar pops out so its not even a factor when you are driving on the road

Its the full cage, window net, parachute, engine diaper, battery switch and neck collar part that I am having reservations about if I want to go 9.999 or better

That and a trip to the doctor to grab my ***** and inspect my anus as part of the physical exam required for a 9 sec NHRA license
Add the Fire Suppressant system to that as well.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

I say make it look as much like a street car as possible and make some V8 owners cry. Think that would be the most fun.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Al, im by no means an expert in the tech area but how streetable is your car right now? What i was wondering is if its already as powerful as you have it do things break down in the course of normal daily driving, then if so i would throw in the roll cage and parachute and save it for the track.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
So whats the point of this thread? To tell ppl how fast you go....... because there is not enough attention on your forum about going 150mph?

Parachute, reverse thrusters, do what you want..your car

+1. This car, Al for all intense and purposes is an all out race car that can get away with being driven on the street. It makes little to no sense to stop now after all the work you've just had done. If it was me, id prep the car to participate in all sanctioned events (read: publicity/advertising) and then pick up a IX as a DD and build it to be the best street car that you can. Best of both worlds.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:48 PM
Account Disabled

It looks like the direction people want me to take is maintain a streetable evo set up

I appreciate all the feedback thus far !
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

...........the direction people want me to take.........
Hey Warr, whats your 2 cents on this?

Quick Reply: Poll - 150 MPH to parachute or not to parachute?