Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Should I add a parachute to my Evo ?
Yes - add all the saftey equipment needed to continue racing at drag events
39.02%
No - keep the car as a "sports car" and road going
60.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - 150 MPH to parachute or not to parachute?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll - 150 MPH to parachute or not to parachute?

Somehow the concept of a sports car like the Evo with a parachute on the back is something that has always looked ODD to me

When Turbo trixs first graced the cover of D sport with a parachute on a Evo 8 I thought "how bizaare" a Evo with a drag chute, little did I know that one day I also would own a 150 mph evo

I like driving about corners and enjoying the road manners of my evos as much as the next guy - (while the Hooiser qucik times are not the best handling tires - I also have a spare set of rims with Toyo 888 255's hat I use from time to time) - some how its fun to drag it but there is a point which seems over done to me

Fast forward 2 years later and now I just ran 150 mph in the 1/4 mile as of last weekend and its time for me to sit on the horns of a giant dliema about Evos and parachutes

I am asking for the members assistance in deciding what to do ???

My options are to either add a full 9 point roll cage and PARACHUTE along with a few other assorted items like a engine diaper in order to continue to compete with my car in "organized' drag races at its new speed potential

Some races I have in mind are NOPI, NHRA, Evo vs WRX and Mitscubishi day at Raceway Park , etc.

OR -

Should I Just leave it how it is as a street going / capable machine and take it out to race a few times a year to get thrown off of what ever track I run for not having enough saftey equipment

I am mostly into this for the technological aspects of how to tune the car to go fast and I could live without the actual racing part if needed.

However, it is fun to bust out fast times and beat others at a actual race event.

My main reservation about going to a sub 9.99 second set up is to take away the true sports car nature of the evo

Once a 9 point cage goes in I think its difficult to safely drive the car without a helmet on at all times which makes it rather bizzare to drive about on roads

Anyway - I am thinking there will be a LOT of nine second evos by the end of this summer and I wanted to get some thoughts from you all on what orther people think about this subject

Thanks for your time in advance

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jun 20, 2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do the cage
and drive it on the street
lol
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
depends on what you want to do with the car I think.

-a striped down track only drag car

-a low 9 second (practical within limits) street monster....

My vote is to leave it the way it is and stay away from the parachute, dog box, 9 point, 2650 weight...leave that for others to do

Either way you cant loose.....congratulations on a true accomplishment thus far!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

hey Al I shoot you a pm
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're right, there will be many 9 sec evo's in the upcoming year, but how many of them will do it at practically full weight...
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Do the cage! It already seems you really enjoy competing against others in an actual race. You can always get a used evo and fix her up to be a fun "street" car.

Good luck on your decision!

Mike
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

If your going to take it to the track reguardless i would atleast to a 5 point cage. you never know when something bad might happen. a 5 point is still functional enough to drive on the street and will ofer aome rollover and crash protection at the track.

the parachute is an option, you know they are removable
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:28 PM
Account Disabled

The funny thing is how easy it is to get a 150 mph pass with the new GT42 set up

I tell you guys the Gt42 is one amazing turbo

Thanks to Tein for a great set of revalved RS struts and springs the car is very stable and tractable with no sliding about

This is the video taken by David Buschur on my 9.9 150 mph pass

You will note how EASY I left the hole with a 1.8 smooth 60' and grand ma shifting to make sure I did not break anything

It really amazes me what a non event 150 mph is with this machine

I remember back in the day Dan C. of Pruven going 149 with the ole Pruven Talon and it was all over the track and looked like it would crash at any moment

Here is the video of my 150 mph pass

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...3a72fe936a.htm

Thanks for your inputs thus far
Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Noogles
If your going to take it to the track reguardless i would atleast to a 5 point cage. you never know when something bad might happen. a 5 point is still functional enough to drive on the street and will ofer aome rollover and crash protection at the track.

the parachute is an option, you know they are removable
I have a 6 pt roll bar for some time now

The drives bar pops out so its not even a factor when you are driving on the road

Its the full cage, window net, parachute, engine diaper, battery switch and neck collar part that I am having reservations about if I want to go 9.999 or better

That and a trip to the doctor to grab my ***** and inspect my anus as part of the physical exam required for a 9 sec NHRA license
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to add an option "should I go all out with the current car and buy another one as a daily driver"....

That is the one I would vote for.

Keith
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

So whats the point of this thread? To tell ppl how fast you go....... because there is not enough attention on your forum about going 150mph?

Parachute, reverse thrusters, do what you want..your car
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

If I was you, I would make your current car a drag car w/ parachute, cage, the whole 9, and pick up a used evo w/ minor bolt-ons for open track days and canyon carving. When is the last time you rolled onto the throttle coming out of a turn and were happy you had like 1,000 hp? I run a basically stock setup and on tight mountain roads I still turn the boost down a bit so as not to go big oversteer on the way out...
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Al, what have you done to the transmission? Not stock and not dog box
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Once a 9 point cage goes in I think its difficult to safely drive the car without a helmet on at all times which makes it rather bizzare to drive about on roads
This is THE critical issue to me, assuming the car is NOT going to be trailered everywhere. Cages in street cars have been debated over and over in some forums...but the truth is that cage tubing and unprotected skulls are NOT supposed to meet, regardless of whether the tubing is wrapped in cage padding.

My 2 cents: Make the car either a full bore, trailered drag strip monster OR leave it safely street driveable. Don't mix the two.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
You need to add an option "should I go all out with the current car and buy another one as a daily driver"....

That is the one I would vote for.

Keith
^+1000

Quick Reply: Poll - 150 MPH to parachute or not to parachute?