Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water LEAK? Carpet Under Drivers Seat SOAKED!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water LEAK? Carpet Under Drivers Seat SOAKED!

Ok, I searched...heres the deal...

I noticed after driving in the rain one day that the carpet under my drivers seat was soaked...directly under the seat and into the back seat footwell a little bit. My car has never been in an accident...and I haven't hit anything that could cause a leak in the floorboard of my car.

I jacked it up and looked underneath for anything that might be visible...missing rubber grommet or possibly some sort of rust or damage....NOTHING...well nothing apparent.

I'm considering doing a "Melissa style leak down test"...meaning grab the hose...and fill it up from the inside and wait for it to come out...in order to see where it's coming from...then just use a wet vac and clean it up...

I've been told it may be the drain for my moonroof that is backed up and causing the leak in my car???? I guess mitsu SUV's have problems with this all the time. I was told there is a plug that i can open and clean out the duct somewhere in my A pilar?? Anyone know?

Anyone ever heard of this? Or had a similar problem?

Thanks for the input guys!

Mel
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

That happened to one of my freinds it was a seal rotting
I hope that doesn't happen in my 03 I have the brains of my head unit under the drivers seat and my nav under the passenger one
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kreionic
That happened to one of my freinds it was a seal rotting
I hope that doesn't happen in my 03 I have the brains of my head unit under the drivers seat and my nav under the passenger one
Like weatherstripping....or like one of the rubber grommets under the car??
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same thing in my lancer happen. It's causing my trunk/gas door release pedals to rust. I can't find the leak either...
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a rubber grommet if you remove the passenger seat. This is where the o2 sensor wires run into the car.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
There is a rubber grommet if you remove the passenger seat. This is where the o2 sensor wires run into the car.
The passengers side is dry...no water at all....only wet carpet directly under my drivers seat.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:18 AM

Wasn't this covered in the TSB? I dunno thought I read somewhere in a search about leaking water on 03 EVO's....That is why I'm hesitent to buy a used 03 model.....
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PSIbabi21
The passengers side is dry...no water at all....only wet carpet directly under my drivers seat.
sounds like a personal problem.
j/k...I would pull out both front seats and center console so you can pull up the carpet and from there maybe you might see something. Removing the seats and console is pretty quick to do.
G/L
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for more info.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:54 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO_IX
Wasn't this covered in the TSB? I dunno thought I read somewhere in a search about leaking water on 03 EVO's....That is why I'm hesitent to buy a used 03 model.....
The TSB was for a firewall leak IIRC and it was passenger side. The AC overflow also gets backed up and will spill out into the cabin but that also affects the passenger side. I've not heard anything regarding leaks on the driver side.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Weird, I have condensation under the rear drivers side mat? I thought it was just humidity or something. I used a rag to clean it up but I need to check again.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
question.... do you have or was there ever a stereo system installed ? there is a rubber grommit on the inside of driver's side fender wall that i use to always get water in when it rained because my power wire from my stereo system ran through there... definitely check that one out... its a grommit with a rubber boot on it, should have other wires coming through it already too
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

How about spraying some undercoat in the area and see if that solves the issue. It couldn't hurt thats for sure. That may closeup any small holes and protect the metal from the elements. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
question.... do you have or was there ever a stereo system installed ? there is a rubber grommit on the inside of driver's side fender wall that i use to always get water in when it rained because my power wire from my stereo system ran through there... definitely check that one out... its a grommit with a rubber boot on it, should have other wires coming through it already too
The guy who owned the car before me had a system in it...but i've had the car for 2 years now? The wiring is still there though...good Idea I'll check it out!~
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ohio-evo
How about spraying some undercoat in the area and see if that solves the issue. It couldn't hurt thats for sure. That may closeup any small holes and protect the metal from the elements. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Well that was part of my game plan with the "leak down test"....hose it down...weld it up if it's a big leak...then rubber undercoat the hell out of it! LOL It kind of seems ghetto to me though...so if everyones ideas in here fail...thats my last resort!

Last edited by PSIbabi21; Jun 22, 2006 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Water LEAK? Carpet Under Drivers Seat SOAKED!