Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MBC safe levels...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBC safe levels...

Hey, for a stock 2005 Evo 8 would running 20.5 psi boost be safe? Thats what my friend who has an Evo 9 tuned... im worried cuz the 9'ers run higher boost i beleive, and he set me up with what he had when he was stock..

Also, anyone notice that after you up your boost on the MBC the rev limiter kicks in? I could always by pass and launch at around 6k on the strip, now after the install i keep on getting stuck at 5k with the limiter...

Thanks..
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

That should be fine. I run 21psi on my stock 04 daily. Can't help ya with the rev limiter thing. I have an 04, we don't have that.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

The stationary rev limiter should always be there unless you get a flash and change it or eliminate it. The install or adjustment even of a MBC shouldn't effect your launch control. A MBC if turned up too high can cause boost/fuel cut but if you said its set @ 20.5 psi (a relatively moderate boost level) you should not be hitting fuel cut.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i was stock (MBC and Boost gauge) i had my MBC set to 21 (spike) and it was fine, if you are not a newb i would suggest you find the signature button ASAP and fill in some stats, it will help people see where you are standing as far as mods are concerned... but to answer your question don't worry about the PSI its fine. But as far as the rev limiter....it was always there...unless you got a used VIII...it just may be a little more noticable now that you are modding your ride and are looking for things to go wrong. Your good though....
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jasburbak
Hey, for a stock 2005 Evo 8 would running 20.5 psi boost be safe? Thats what my friend who has an Evo 9 tuned... im worried cuz the 9'ers run higher boost i beleive, and he set me up with what he had when he was stock..

Also, anyone notice that after you up your boost on the MBC the rev limiter kicks in? I could always by pass and launch at around 6k on the strip, now after the install i keep on getting stuck at 5k with the limiter...

Thanks..
That should be fine.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, thats good then... i always am a little paranoid when it comes to the safety of my cars...but i guess we all are.. thanks for the input guys..
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

you can run 21-22 psi safely all day, you have nothing to worry about. i suggest you get tuned .No mods in your sig. so i dont know what you have done or if your tuned or not
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:41 PM

What octane gas are you guys running at 22 psi? Does the ecu do a good job kicking back the timing, especially on a hot day?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I run 93 and nothing less. 93 since the day I bought the car.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Assassin
I run 93 and nothing less. 93 since the day I bought the car.

94 Sunoco is still available in PA. Do you guys think the ecu will allow more timing or I should say timing will get kicked back less with higher octane. The engine does use knock sensors this way, correct?