Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wheel squeel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel squeel

My evo IX has just a tad over 15k miles and I am beginning to notice a type of squeel coming from the drivers side front wheel. It is slowly getting worst. It seems to happen worst/louder & more frequent on long trips (30+ miles). It seems to be most noticable around 30-40 mph and i even hear it on perfectly smooth roads. And on long curvy onramps the noise is sometimes a constant squeel all the way through the turn. I can easily hear it with the windows up and I can hear it with my windows down and the radio up a bit, so it's not a quiet noise. The weird thing is if I hear the noise and tap my brakes lightly the noise stops for a min or two and then comes back again. And if I very gently ride the brakes the noise goes away for a few mins (i hate riding the brakes but i did it only to see if it would stop the noise). I looked at the brake pad life and there is ton of life left, so that is ruled out. I know evos are noise machines and everything in the car clunks/grinds/squeeks/rattles, but this noise is really unbearable and seems almost like a wheel bearing slowly going out.

Last edited by DanJ; Jun 22, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Take it in to the dealer and have them look it over.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

maybe a rock is stuck between your pad and caliper
Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dustin03
see if it's is something that simple I don't want to bring it into the dealership. Because most likely it will be there for 2 days just sitting, then I get a call saying they can't recreate the problem. Then I'll tell them to drive the car for a few more miles and they still won't.....then i have to reschedule to take them for a ride.....too much hastle for such a little thing

It would be safe to remove the pads and check them and then put them back in right? I wouldn't have to re-bed the pads would i? Does this sound like a wheel bearing issue to anyone?

Last edited by DanJ; Jun 22, 2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Any other ideas? Could it possibly be just some sand between the brake pad, that slightly touches the rotor when it gets warm. I have no idea what it could be.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump....can anyone shed some light on this issue?

From what I gathered on one post i found on socalevo, it may be the rotor lip rubbing.
any ideas?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dustin03
If you see nothing do the following.

Go to your local auto parts store and get some brake squeel medic. Spray for squeeling brakes. And spray them down really good between the pads and the rotors. And then take it on a good drive. Be kinda hard on them.... You will see steam/smoke off of them but dont worry. Also KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL NOT HAVE GREAT BRAKING RIGHT AWAY UNTIL THE MEDIC SEATS IN AND DRIES UP.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

/\ I don't have any rocks stuck.

-Is my assumption that its the rotor lip causing the squeeling correct though? I just want to narrow down the source of the squeel.

It happens while traveling at around 40mph, after about 20-30 min of driving. It does not get louder when I turn. It stops when I hit the brakes.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

I am currently having a rotor lip issue. Pads have good life and the sound is like fingers on the chalkboard.
I ordered some halk hps pads and going to turn the rotors for now.
hope this ends my brake issues
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

/\ Are you having the same symptoms as me?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

possably similar symptoms as you are having.
fwiw my rear rotors have a large lip on them and it was making tempory contact with the base metal on the pad. at first it would happen till the car was driven for a while. it caused intermittent grinding sounds and would start up again around turns. pressing on the brake was a temp fix for 2 days but now the problem is more consistent. its been parked for a week now waiting on parts