Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My experience with AL today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:42 PM
Eon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with AL today

Al flew into Salt Lake City today so I decided to drive down there since I paid for a full custom flash the last time he was here and get my flash updated, I just got cams installed. I was thinking instead of me paying to ship it to him for him to do his thing and ship it back this would be a perfect way of getting it done and saving a little money on shipping.

First thing he’s over an hour late. I had taken my family down there with me so maybe we could tool around in Salt Lake City afterwards. We get there a little early to make sure we are on time. When he comes out he doesn’t even apologize, we called his room waited in the lobby no one could find him for over an hour. Not really good customer service.

He comes out I tell him I just added cams and need an update. I had paid for the full custom tune the last time he visited. (which I found out he gave my other military buddy $100 discount but did not offer it to me even though I told him I was in the military) He sits down does his thing we go for a quick drive come back and then he hits me with that will be $100 bucks. I am thinking WHAT. FREE reflash.

I have seen him say the reflashes are $75 and he told me $45 of that was just for shipping so I am wondering since he is not paying for shipping why is he telling me $100. If anything it should be $30 for the wear and tear of his cable. I tried to talk to him about this; he wasn’t rude and told me that he doesn’t fly any where to do the free updates. I tried explaining to him I was not on his required amount of people to fly out. He already has his money for the plane ticket and hotel rental food from the guys who signed up. I just wanted the update that took him 10 mins or so.

He stated he wasn’t going to argue with me took his update off and got out of the car. At this moment I am thinking did he leave the last one he put on or is he pissed and took it back to a basic no custom flash.

All in all after waiting over an hour for him to show up at the designated start time and not getting the update, it was a crappy day. Why should I pay him the $100 bucks if he charges less to do it threw the mail? WTF

He wasn’t rude about it and I have had no problem with the flash that’s he provided. It just sucked. Now he has made a sticky today explaining his policy, I suggest you read it over.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

prima donna in my opinion!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

On the bright side, there was no argument
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that blows. I am sorry that happened to you. Now I am kinda curious about this. Maybe mailing it in is the most conducive way to do it now. I mean why go through the BS of going to wherever hes at if he charges the same amount? Its kinda pointless IMHO.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

the customer is ALWAYS right...some people need to learn that
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eon
WORDS
This belongs in the vendor feedback section.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 20lbsboost
the customer is ALWAYS right...some people need to learn that
99% WRONG

if that was the case then B/R owes me a 42r kit, 2.0 built head and block, shep owes me a trans and t case. see the consept. the customer is right when the policy tat the rules are set to are broken. till then the customer can go f him self. people dont understand that cause all they want to see and understand is the customer is always right. well no not really.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Jun 24, 2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry for the same post. this computer sucks. i get pissed off when it dont do what i ask it so my finger gets a lil boost creep and keeps clicking when i dotn go the 1st time.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Jun 24, 2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To make things fair lets hear from Al also. From my experience Al has work extra hours to accomodate customers without even notice. Lets give him a break and see what he can do for you before we make speculations.

By the way, sorry that it did not work out for you.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jun 24, 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eon
Al flew into Salt Lake City today so I decided to drive down there since I paid for a full custom flash the last time he was here and get my flash updated, I just got cams installed. I was thinking instead of me paying to ship it to him for him to do his thing and ship it back this would be a perfect way of getting it done and saving a little money on shipping.

First thing he’s over an hour late. I had taken my family down there with me so maybe we could tool around in Salt Lake City afterwards. We get there a little early to make sure we are on time. When he comes out he doesn’t even apologize, we called his room waited in the lobby no one could find him for over an hour. Not really good customer service.

He comes out I tell him I just added cams and need an update. I had paid for the full custom tune the last time he visited. (which I found out he gave my other military buddy $100 discount but did not offer it to me even though I told him I was in the military) He sits down does his thing we go for a quick drive come back and then he hits me with that will be $100 bucks. I am thinking WHAT. FREE reflash.

I have seen him say the reflashes are $75 and he told me $45 of that was just for shipping so I am wondering since he is not paying for shipping why is he telling me $100. If anything it should be $30 for the wear and tear of his cable. I tried to talk to him about this; he wasn’t rude and told me that he doesn’t fly any where to do the free updates. I tried explaining to him I was not on his required amount of people to fly out. He already has his money for the plane ticket and hotel rental food from the guys who signed up. I just wanted the update that took him 10 mins or so.

He stated he wasn’t going to argue with me took his update off and got out of the car. At this moment I am thinking did he leave the last one he put on or is he pissed and took it back to a basic no custom flash.

All in all after waiting over an hour for him to show up at the designated start time and not getting the update, it was a crappy day. Why should I pay him the $100 bucks if he charges less to do it threw the mail? WTF

He wasn’t rude about it and I have had no problem with the flash that’s he provided. It just sucked. Now he has made a sticky today explaining his policy, I suggest you read it over.
sucks that happened to you man i had al tune my car last year well let's just say all he does is tell you how ****ty everything is on your car & while your cruising with him he tells you all the other guys waiting are dumbasses/morons ect... sure he does his job but he rubbed me the wrong way i would never use him or recommend him to anyone. tons of other guys said the same thing but yet they came back for flashes again??? i don't get it but whatever floats your boat
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I have talked to him on the phone about three times and 2 out of 3 of those times he was helpfully but a little arrogant.

If we pay his bills then he should be a little more patient.

No, I'm not saying that he is an a$$hole but he should be a little bit more understanding that we all don't drive 900+ whp cars and we don't know every thing there is to know about the Evo.

I agree that you shouldn't have had to pay $100 for him to leave his hotel for less than an hour if you have already payed for a full tune.

I do plan on driving to Connecticut to meet him and get a full tune some time this summer, if I don't like the customer service, It will definitely be the last time I ever talk to him.

I think he just has his good days and his bad,
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Threads like this seem to be popping up more and more, and I'm not sure why, but there must be a reason. He has yet to get maps to my friend who has been waiting quite a while for them, and who has constantly been requesting them since day 1 of his custom tune. To my knowledge, he still hasn't gotten them. Either way, Al is rough around the edges, and not easy to talk to at all. It seems that he is losing time to accomodate customers as well. I think he needs to get things settled with current customers before moving on and starting jobs with other customers.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The part that you said about talking trash about the mods is just the way he speaks, he is just like that but he does not really mean it. I wouldn't say that I haven't heard him talking trash about mods but like I said before, it is just the natural way he has of talk.

You have to understand the other side though. People are paying him $300 for a tune, then he flies to your town and he finds out that your manual boost controller is mounter backwards, that your BOV is loose, that you want a high boost tune but never did a fuel pump, stuff like that is what triggers things.

I have been with him in some tuning sesions and is very frustrating when customers have piggybacks and don't even tell Al about it. I am not saying his customer service is the best in the world but he works his butt off to get your car safe fast and reliable.

Carlos
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, these kind of threads have been going on for over a year now. It's ridiculous, no more excuses. This guy is NOT an easy guy to deal with and his customer service is CRAP. PERIOD. I have close buddies who have complained about his attitude/service. One thing's for sure: The old Turbotrix/Dynoflash tune comparison isn't a problem to me anymore. TURBOTRIX anyday.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

This time I have to stick up for Al.

It seems like you had a custom tune, and you added a mod (cams) since. Then Al flew down to salt lake city to give you a retune for the cams and you were upset for having to pay 100 for a custom reflash? Do you think he flies places to tune for free?

Maybe IM misunderstanding the situaiton but it seems like your understanding of someone who is travel-tuning is way off base. 100 for a reflash is not a big deal.

Last edited by Boltz.; Jun 24, 2006 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: My experience with AL today