Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how many people run turbo timers and are they worth it??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fraser91084
how can you remote start an evo?
I have a compustar alarm. It has a switch hooked into the e-brake, it must have the clutch engaged, e-brake on, and engine stopped AFTER the door is closed for it too work. If the trunk or doors are opened after the engine has stopped it will not remote start.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

i had one on my 03 8 and on my BR350 IX(apexi TT),its small, looks good, gives you turbo timer,volts,02 reading,a/f ratio. I only use it when i run my car hard and am shutting it off right away.it only works with the E-brake up so you can lock up and walk away and even if you leave your car open and running knowone can steal it because as soon as the E-brake is lowered it shuts off. I think its cheap insurance since our turbos spin at 170,000 rpm,s,thats ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THOUSAND RPM,S.I,d like to know after running hard that my turbo bearings are still being lubed and cooled while its settling down. just my opinion
Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SeanJhn9
the purpose for the turbo timer is to let the turbo cool down, not the engine or anyother component, but since stock turbo's are water cooled, they dont really need to be let cooled down, if running a bigger turbo, then yeah, a turbo timer is recomended...
+1
save your money and use it on something else....i bought a turbo timer when I was first starting out with my car & knew next to nothing about them- It's more annoying than anything, at least mine is; you can't lock the doors/engage the alarm while it's idling via the timer, so you have to stand around and wait for it anyway....If I'm driving the car really hard and then park it right away, I'll use it- but most of the time I'll just take it easy for the 30-45 seconds before I park keeping the RPMs down as much as possible & kill the engine.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:20 PM
Account Disabled

ive ran a turbo timer since the car was new...and at 30k miles my turbo just blew.....

-nick
Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, that rhymed!

I also get annoyed with mine and just shut it off as soon as I park.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew LB
Every tuner I've spoken with here in SoCal told me its a waste of money unless you're running a bigger turbo or a stroker motor.
+1

But I still have one
Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
got one cause it was cheap 40 bucks for a blitz tt......
Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolving03
+1
It's more annoying than anything, at least mine is; you can't lock the doors/engage the alarm while it's idling via the timer, so you have to stand around and wait for it anyway.....
That really mnakes no sense to me. If your alarm is hooked up to activate when the car turns off by itself you dont have to wait, it will arm itself. And as you get out of the car your hand is on the door, reach over nad tap the LOCK button and the doors will lock for you while its timing down.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
That really mnakes no sense to me. If your alarm is hooked up to activate when the car turns off by itself you dont have to wait, it will arm itself. And as you get out of the car your hand is on the door, reach over nad tap the LOCK button and the doors will lock for you while its timing down.
I can't engage the alarm while the car is running. I could lock the doors, but I'd still have to wait around to engage the alarm, so it wouldn't help much.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:47 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Don't have one and never will unless I get a bigger turbo. I generally take it easy on it right before I reach my destination.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

turbo timer is use to keep the engine running to prevent oil get cooked in the turbo after running it hard, the synthetic oil we are using these days can withstand much higher temp than the turbo can produce... so no need for a turbo timer anymore.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Its a piece of mind mod
Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolving03
I can't engage the alarm while the car is running. I could lock the doors, but I'd still have to wait around to engage the alarm, so it wouldn't help much.
My point exactly. If the alarm is set to passive arming the car will set by itself right after the car turns off. SO you dont have to anything.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard since the turbo is water cooled there is no need for a TT.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:22 PM

My dealer told me that a TT would be the "only mod" allowed by them and strongly recommended it. One week later I figured I didn't need it after seeing how long it normally took to cool down.

Quick Reply: how many people run turbo timers and are they worth it??