Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HID low beam out... replaced bulb/fuse.. still out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you give me an update? I unfortunately followed your path by buying the bulbs (waited for my IC pipes to arrive) and swapped them out this weekend. No joy. Swapped bulbs side to side and housings side to side. Have voltage to module also. Where did you end up getting your module at?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by GranMassaX
ok, so i checked the plug going into the ballast and that had power. So I decided to check to make sure I didn't get a "dead" bulb. I connected everything and then checke what I think are the correct terminals for the HID bulb itself and bingo, no power. So it has to be the ballast. Power into ballast is good, but no power out.

these are the two terminals I checked, are these the right ones? There are other metal clips, but they look like they are just there to secure the bulb in place.

To ignite the bulb the controller sends around 15,000 volts to cause an arc between the bulb contacts. Once the bulb comes up the voltage drops to less than 100 volts. I've never been bitten by the starting voltage but I suppose it would be like getting shocked off of a spark plug wire. It might be dangerous if more current is involved. Also, this much voltage may damage your VOM. So, maybe it is good thing you didn't find any voltage there.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evojon
Can you give me an update? I unfortunately followed your path by buying the bulbs (waited for my IC pipes to arrive) and swapped them out this weekend. No joy. Swapped bulbs side to side and housings side to side. Have voltage to module also. Where did you end up getting your module at?

Thanks
I went ahead and switched the working side (driver side) ballast over to the passenger side and kept everything the same and the damn bulb worked (well it obviously worked all along). It was the ballast/module, it was shot. I got a set of Evo HID ballasts off ebay. I suggest looking there and posting on the for sale/wanted sections here at evom. I got several inquiries about ballasts for sale, but still went with the ebay one. If you have no luck then let me know. I may... MAY part with my extra ballast. I would really like to keep it if this happens again, but I'm not sure.

good luck and let me know how you make out.