Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transmission Rebuild: Who?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Rebuild: Who?

I need to have my transmission and T-Case rebuilt and was wondering who people went to and did they like the final product. I know there is TRE and Shep but who else does a good job with the rebuild. Also to any one that has had a rebuild how long was your car down for and and what was the final cost and why did you send it in in the first place. My tranny is grinding going into fifth and is locking me out of reverse half the time. Also if you haven't had your tranny rebuilt or don't have any useful info please don't post.

Feel free to PM me.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the only people i'd trust are shep, TRE, or turbotrix offers trans rebuilds but i don't know about transfer cases. i haven't had mine rebuilt yet(sorry for replying)but i know AMS, Al from dynoflash, and Buschur all use shep and that's who i'd use.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

I got my car done by shep a few weeks back, and i highly suggest using him because he is a class act guy, and does excellent work. And his pricing is great. Give him a call, or email.

His website is http://www.sheptrans.com
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor

Shepherd 100% stay away from TRE...terrible customer service, bought a brand new trans geared up and bulit and after 1 week it would go into fourth, got jerked around and i paid almost 4K....Im going to send that trans into shepherd as well
Old Jun 27, 2006, 06:38 PM

Shep has my tranny right now and ill vouch for their customer service! Ill tell you how much i like the tranny in bout a week!
Old Jun 27, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRE (Team Ripp) from Kalamazoo Michigan. "gears" on this site. GREAT PRODUCTS!!
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

I spent a lot of time researching both of them before I made my decision.

I went with Shep because after 3 e-mails and a dozen phone calls, I NEVER ONCE spoke to anyone from TRE. Apparently they are so good that they don't need to talk to anyone. I guess people just send them transmissions and they use their sixth sense to know what to do and just send them back to them.

Shep on the other hand actually answers the phone himself once in a while, and if you leave a message, he calls you back. It's a totally new concept in the business world, but I think it's gonna catch on.

But seriously, I had Shep do a tranny re-build and a new Stage-2 transfer case for me and a REM/Cryo treatment on everything. He did a GREAT job. Everything was done exactly as promised, when promised. Keep in mind that it is NOT a fast process if you get "the works" like I did. The REM/Cryo adds like 2 weeks by itself, but it's totally worth it. While your trans is out and your car is down, might as well get it done all the way.

Good luck no matter who you choose.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:50 PM
Former Vendor

just to add i have a shep trans in my car right now and have had many passes and hard launches with no problems, where as on the tre trans after 1 night at the track and driving home my 4th gear would not work and i haf half the power i do now. My Dog Box is on the way from Shepherd also
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike314
Also if you haven't had your tranny rebuilt or don't have any useful info please don't post.

Feel free to PM me.
must be nice to tell people how you want them behave after you obviously didn't do any research. my vote is for shep based on reputation alone.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Shep trans all the way! proven with the DSM community...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
one more for shep....with all the questions i had for my up coming build he called me personally and answered the questions himself
Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbrown
I spent a lot of time researching both of them before I made my decision.

I went with Shep because after 3 e-mails and a dozen phone calls, I NEVER ONCE spoke to anyone from TRE. Apparently they are so good that they don't need to talk to anyone. I guess people just send them transmissions and they use their sixth sense to know what to do and just send them back to them.

Shep on the other hand actually answers the phone himself once in a while, and if you leave a message, he calls you back. It's a totally new concept in the business world, but I think it's gonna catch on.
Thats pretty intresting how you and I had the exact opposite experience with the two of these guys.

Shep ignored my calls, my voicemails and a goood 95% of my emails and the ones he did answer were vauge, rude and unhelpful.

TRE called me back instantly and won my business that way.

Life is funny like that I suppose.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

TRE was great for me, customer service wise. My transmission shifts smooth and no grinds anymore. 1st gear still is a whiney b*tch tho. Transfer case is all better now too. My only complaint with TRE is the turnaround time. Jon told me the parts were backordered but it still took about 1.5 months.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

shep...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

John at TRE is difficult to get on the phone but is pretty responsive to PMs & emails. when you do get him on the phone he will talk your ear off about his extensive knowledge of transmissions, and answer all your questions in detail. My rebuilt '03 trans is quieter and shifts more smoothly than it ever did from the factory. also had him install the shorter evo9 5th gear (.76 vs .71). this is a big improvement, as it closes up the chasm between 4th and 5th. makes 5th more useful, and really desirable if you track the car. overall i had a very good experience with TRE and my turnaround was about 10 days.

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild: Who?