Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Road & Track: IX MR vs. Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys think that if the Evo had a bit more juice, it would have taken the NSX and Lambo in the video posted earlier?

I Know the FQ400 took the Lambo, but that also had some serious handling mods aswell didn't it?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NaorisG
Do you guys think that if the Evo had a bit more juice, it would have taken the NSX and Lambo in the video posted earlier?

I Know the FQ400 took the Lambo, but that also had some serious handling mods aswell didn't it?
1. Yes.
2. No.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NaorisG

That's..pretty obvious
I mean since we're on topic, im SURE if CIVIC had more juice it'd beat other exotic cars................................

the point of my ******* repost is to show that our car is comparable with other exotic cars despite its cost
once you start going into "if" scenarios then anything is possible
thats all

p.s. i wonder what happened to the impreza in the video?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't mean anything heavy, i meant more like a FQ330 or a USDM IX with a TBE and a tune.
More in that tone.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
video

http://mfile.akamai.com/26193/wmv/ha..._cayman_hi.asx
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

The difference is lap time was more like .2 or .3 sec. 1 full second would be huge.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

LOL the sti did not even finish! sti it's no match for those cars.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:58 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
NSX faster than a Evo IX in a straight away... , nevermind Tsuchiya is driving,
I hate to burst your bubble, but the evo is BARELY faster in the 1/4 mile than a USDM 2005 Acura NSX type S. The NSX R is not only as fast in the 1/4 mile, but it gives the evo a beat down on the highway.

times for you:

Evo IX 1/4 mile = 12.8-13.2 Depends on Car
02-05 NSX S 1/4 mile = 13.0-13.4 Depends on Car
NSX-R 1/4 mile = 12.8-13.2 Depends on Car

very close numbers, even though the evo has AWD, which makes it a drag *****

on the highway, the NSX type S, will beat an Evo pretty well from 20-120
from 80+, the evo gets beat even more so.

The NSX-R will own an evo at any speed above like 40 mph.

It will also out handle the evo

the NSX type S, has similar handling to an Evo, but not the type R

The Evo needs some mods to take down the NSX-R.

I love the evo, but stop being so closed minded of other cars. There are many cars that can take down an evo.

BUT!!!! not for the price of the evo, they are all more expensive, excluding used cars.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:47 PM

I have a question guys, Is the Cayman S faster than the Evo IX in a straight line from a rolling 40?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yes. The R&T article tested the Cayman a second faster in the 0-100 while .2 slower 0-60. That tells you the Evo gets a huge jump on the launch (no surprise there) but the Cayman eventually passes and pulls away
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Man I just can't wait to get my MR, mid august . If you want better handling for your Evo. I suggest your 1st mod to be a Rear sway bar, it helps turn in considerably.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talon
Yes. The R&T article tested the Cayman a second faster in the 0-100 while .2 slower 0-60. That tells you the Evo gets a huge jump on the launch (no surprise there) but the Cayman eventually passes and pulls away
I was expecting the evo to be faster on the road or a straight line
So like flaming said from a rolling 40 the cayman should pass and pull away even faster than a 0 stop?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Cayman creamed the EVO on skidpad and slalom, and its brakes are better...... EVO had the fastest lap time on the Spring Mtn. Radical loop road course in Pahrump, NV (almost a second faster, I think).
And this, friends, is why skidpad and slalom numbers are garbage when used in this fashion - as a way to test a car's capabilities by magazine writers in a hurry to make deadlines without actually going to a track or doing any other legitimate testing. the TRACK numbers speak for themselves. A second faster around Pahrump "Radical Loop" is an ***-whipping. That's over 10 carlengths on a short (1.5 mile) circuit.

Last edited by -=SPECTRE=-; Jul 28, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
And this, friends, is why skidpad and slalom numbers are garbage when used in this fashion - as a way to test a car's capabilities by magazine writers in a hurry to make deadlines without actually going to a track or doing any other legitimate testing. the TRACK numbers speak for themselves. A second faster around Pahrump "Radical Loop" is an ***-whipping. That's over 10 carlengths on a short (1.5 mile) circuit.
And just think of what 1500 in simple standard mods would have done to the Evo #s as well.

When my IX was stock I thought it was the biggest sister on the top end. After getting the stuff in my sig added in one afternoon, followed by dynflash tune....its an entirely different ballgame.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

My father is 64 years old and lives in Alabama, myself in NY. I had told him what car I had just bought and he not knowing what it was or why on God's green earth I'd choose a Mitsu & also Not being completely internet savvy, didn't really understand all of what I was telling him in our phone conversations.

I had just received my issue of R&T and after happily reading it and seeing the Cayman S/EVO MR comparo I told him to go out to a local book store or news stand and pick that issue up. He did so and called me back that afternoon saying "That's the car you have?" giddy with excitement like a highschool kid. I said yep, but in grey. He said "and how is it?" I said it puts my Type R to shame in so many catagories, being that he knows I used to frequently and enthusiastically track my R in HPDE's and multiple seasons of autocross.

He had sworn he didn't really have any good reason to come back up to New York anytime soon. But he soon reversed that and said he'd be up in the fall and looked forward to some seat time. I of course said yes. Guy stuff. Neither my or his wife understand.

Quick Reply: Road & Track: IX MR vs. Cayman S