Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Road & Track: IX MR vs. Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supersupra
However in your other comment about the true car enthusiast and his appreciation of a good car, is what we are trying to say about the evo.
+1000
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

I mean WTF!?! When ever you see an EVO compared to some of these very nice and expensive European cars, it's like some of you guys like to take a **** on the EVO. Why, aren't you proud of what you bought, or were you waisting money? A few noobs who know nothing about cars make stupid comments about the Porsche, and you guys get so freakin' defensive. Most of us agree the Porsche is an awesome car, but for the price so is the EVO. Get the f*ck over it!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I cannot believe that the Cayman doesn't come with a LSD. That is inexcusable, a Frickin' Dodge Neon has an LSD, an Evo has 3.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
How am I joking, are you saying the EVO has no advanteges. I never said it was a better car than the Cayman S, the Cayman S is awesome, but there are things about the EVO that I think are advantages. Again doesn't mean it is a better car. I mean I can compare a 350Z to a Cayman S, and find little to no advantages (other than price). So something about the EVO is special, doesn't make the Cayman S any less special.
You're preaching to the choir. That's why it's pointless.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like most of us are all on the same page then. Both the Evo and Cayman are great cars.

Think Porsche will put in a LSD for next year's Cayman?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Doubtful it will get an LSD. Perhaps a ridiculous expensive option down the road though.
Caymans w/ exhausts and intakes are now throwing down 305 whp which is amazing from the 260-265 stock for a NA car. 305 is on par with the 911S 355hp motors on the same dyno.

Would love to see a 330whp Cayman, I'd be all over that if the mods did not cost 20k to get there!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
I cannot believe that the Cayman doesn't come with a LSD. That is inexcusable, a Frickin' Dodge Neon has an LSD, an Evo has 3.
There's a top gear show about the Cayman S where they compared the Boxster, Cayman, and Carrera. They pointed out how Porsche seemed to only do just enough to make the Cayman better than the cheaper Boxster, but not as good as the more expensive Carrera. And how simple changes would upset the balance.

Last edited by dayf; Aug 1, 2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

It's like punching your youngest kid in the face because he/she may grow up to be better looking than your older kids.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

My cayman put down 279 just removing the restrictor baffle plate. The car's hp is underated from the published 295hp. I did 170 the other day on 6th gear. but then again my v390 evo is something that I cannot get rid off.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:28 PM
e8
Evolving Member

they're both good cars.

they both perform well.

they perform similarly (on paper and performance wise), but are obviously in different categories beyond their performance and are there to appease different demographics. however, the two can overlap at some point...
Old Aug 8, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Neon is a front-wheel drive car and with that amount of power they can barely control it even with the LSD. Evo has 4WD so it has to have the differentials.

The 997/997S variants do not have LSDs either, just like most Bimmers or Mercs. However, an LSD would be great no doubt; but what is the real purpose? To gain 0.2-0.5 secs per lap during a race or autocross? That is a $3K proposition for a car that is not design for racing, don't you think?

You want to go racing and have an LSD, according to Porsche, you should get the GT3/RS
Old Aug 8, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FT@SELGP
Neon is a front-wheel drive car and with that amount of power they can barely control it even with the LSD. Evo has 4WD so it has to have the differentials.

The 997/997S variants do not have LSDs either, just like most Bimmers or Mercs. However, an LSD would be great no doubt; but what is the real purpose? To gain 0.2-0.5 secs per lap during a race or autocross? That is a $3K proposition for a car that is not design for racing, don't you think?

You want to go racing and have an LSD, according to Porsche, you should get the GT3/RS

An LSD would help tremendiously with corner exit speeds so the outside tire won't spin. An LSD is just a must and I just cannot believe it isn't on the Porsche.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

An LSD would help tremendiously ...
Can you quantify "tremendously" and for what purpose would you use that power?

At the end, the gain is minimal for non-racing oriented cars, so it become non-consequential for majority of the situations IMO. Again, this is not to say it would be bad to have an LSD, but it means that you should just judge a car's virtues by one component, similar to how sometime ppl judge the Evo strictly on how it looks.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:05 AM
Account Disabled

+1 for the 911 4S
Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

i think the article's main point is that if pure performance is what u're after, the Evo's one of the best choices. other than performance similarities....it's apple and oranges btwn the Evo and Cayman S, with the Cayman being the "better" car due to its name and price tag and class and interior.

Quick Reply: Road & Track: IX MR vs. Cayman S