Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Road & Track: IX MR vs. Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A car made by Porsche should indeed come standard with an LSD as long as it has the power to break traction which it certainly does. I get why the entry level Boxers don't have them esecially the 1st ones made with only what, 200HP?

The Cayman would be helped tremendiously with a LSD in all aspects of driving.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan>Germany
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr Chef
My father is 64 years old and lives in Alabama, myself in NY. I had told him what car I had just bought and he not knowing what it was or why on God's green earth I'd choose a Mitsu & also Not being completely internet savvy, didn't really understand all of what I was telling him in our phone conversations.

I had just received my issue of R&T and after happily reading it and seeing the Cayman S/EVO MR comparo I told him to go out to a local book store or news stand and pick that issue up. He did so and called me back that afternoon saying "That's the car you have?" giddy with excitement like a highschool kid. I said yep, but in grey. He said "and how is it?" I said it puts my Type R to shame in so many catagories, being that he knows I used to frequently and enthusiastically track my R in HPDE's and multiple seasons of autocross.

He had sworn he didn't really have any good reason to come back up to New York anytime soon. But he soon reversed that and said he'd be up in the fall and looked forward to some seat time. I of course said yes. Guy stuff. Neither my or his wife understand.
I know this is an old thread. I dug it up, because I am actually considering these two cars. Basically Wife is a snob, and won't drive the Evo, but will the P. I only care about the track.
Anyway, readng this post made me smile. I wish I had a relationship with my pops like you do.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

One more.. I test drove a cayman before I drove the Evo MR. The Cayman seemed to have a lot of low-end grunt, but I noticed you couldn't heel-toe it for ****(at least my size 10 foot couldn't). Getting in the Evo, the thing fit me like a glove. The seating position alone, giving the driver a better view of where he's going, made me want to flog the **** out of it. The steering response was a ton lighter, and the car felt that much lighter as well. It also seemed to handle a lot better. I tried, but on the street, I couldn't get the thing loose. I feel sorry for the sorry SOB that ended up owning that car. If everybody else test-drove it like I did, it's gonna be a short mileage motor.
My biggest problem I have with pulling the trigger is the image associated with the Evo. Who my wife sees driving it, and how they're doing so is killing my chances of getting one. I just want to have fun on the track. I'm pulling the trigger this weekend on something. Porsche is gonna come 16% off their asking price, or I'll end up with the Evo, and will be the only driver of it. :-)
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
if i would have enough money to modd the Cayman ... i would get it for sure.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fastkevin
Basically Wife is a snob, and won't drive the Evo, but will the P.
Porsche is gonna come 16% off their asking price, or I'll end up with the Evo, and will be the only driver of it. :-)
I do not see the problem.

The real question is why would you want the wapce to drive your car anyways?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

She used to have an S4 she loved, and blames me for her having to ditch it in favor of a 7passenger vehicle for the kids. She has an LR3, which is a raging POS. We're in the middle of lemon-lawing it, and if they buy it back, all will be good. If they don't, and we get a 3rd car for me solely to have fun in, I'd be my luck that I would probably live to regret it.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

She used to have an S4 she loved, and blames me for her having to ditch it in favor of a 7passenger vehicle for the kids. She has an LR3, which is a raging POS. We're in the middle of lemon-lawing it, and if they buy it back, all will be good. If they don't, and we get a 3rd car for me solely to have fun in, I'd be my luck that I would probably live to regret it.

Hey Kevin I'm glad my story made a good impression. Because funny enough my relationship with my father wasn't always the best in the past but in recent years has been awesome. He's more of an on the fence car guy who's owned a long list of Mustangs and Camaros. He had a mid 70's MG and loved it to death but like any British car owner hated the total lack of reliability so when recently he had the urge for another ragtop he jumped into a new Miata, and let me say That car is fun to drive. We actually roadtripped together from Atlanta to Amelia Island for a car show a few years back, just a father son thing, something that was very important to mending our past relationship, but I digress.

Anyway Yes there is a Stigma with the EVO if you aren't in your early to mid 20's and into the import car scene. But there are some of us out there that are just diehard car nuts regardless of age (me being 36) that actually take these stupid fast weapons and wring them out on a track or autocross course where they can be pushed to their limits properly. Japanese performance is impressive so say the least, just take a look at the new Nissan GTR, now that's something I'd love to DD next.

As per tracking the EVO, I just suggest doing alot of homework as per maintenance costs. Reliability is not a big issue with the exception of modded MR's 4th gear weaknesses which you can read up on in the "Motorsports" forum here. Other than that it's really just keeping all your fluids fresh, brakes, rotors, tires and maintaining a Severe Duty service schedule. It's a great/fun car. I haven't tracked mine yet and really don't plan to, but I have autocrossed it multiple times and man oh man from the launch to the finish line it's a fuggin rocket in stock form.

My track car is my Type R. I trailer it to and from and have great success with it and little to no issues problems with over 6 years of tracking over 20 HPDE's and countless autocrosses since the 2001 season. The great thing about the R is it's a Honda so it has just unbeatable Honda reliability no matter how much I flog the crap out of it and it's CHEAP to maintain. Plus it's a momentum car and and taught me how to really drive with my foot planted on the throttle and how to control the car on it's edge and limit.

Personally if money was no object then I'd pick the Cayman S. Mid engine rear wheel drive is just such a pure platform. But for me it wasn't in the budget and my car needed to perform double duty and also be an all weather ride. It's exceptional in the snow BTW. Just slap on some super snow tires and voila it'll roll circles around everything else on the road sans another EVO or STI equally equipped.

As for the wife, I know what I did, I put mine behind the wheel one afternoon and as quick as she accelerated so to did her perception of the "boy racer". Because this thing launches harder than an S4 by far. But if it's your choice, just get what you want. Your wife won't know what she's missing
Old Nov 24, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Thanx man.. I actually decided to get the Evo a month ago. I had(have) a dealer in San Diego willing to give me the deal I want on an SE, and bring it up here. Telling my wife, she wanted no part of it. She looked at the Cayman, and fell in love with it. It is a sexy looking car.
-However-
With the Cayman, while it's not a $80k 911, a good-guy deal is still over $50k.
That ends up being well north of $700/month, for 72 months, with $10k down.
For $20k less, I can get a car with equal performance, and mod it for the track a lot cheaper. On top of that, I drove the Cayman first, then drove the Evo. The Evo felt more ready to go for the track. The quickness of the steering, the awesome traction, and opposed to the Cayman, I could heel/toe it. Can't believe a Porsche comes with the pedals needing to be changed to be able to heel/toe.
I've road raced motorcycles for 12 years. At my brother's suggestion, I took a year off, bought a '74 911, and raced it. I also raced with my brother in his 911 GT2 in several endurance races. 10-15 years ago, if you wanted a car that would handle and survive at the track, you needed to have a Porsche (Italian cars aside. Not even close to being in my budget). It's not that way anymore.

Anyway, I don't have the time or the budget to go car racing. I just want a car that I can drive to the track, go flog it, and drive it home. I have a couple of used Evo's to look at this weekend, and if they don't work out, I should call the dealer in SD. Considering how much I liked the Evo when I drove it, if I don't choose it, I'm a moron.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting. If money was taken out of the equation, do you think you would have chosen the Porsche?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noob4life
Very interesting. If money was taken out of the equation, do you think you would have chosen the Porsche?
Yes ,i would.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

****. If money was no object, it would be a lime green 911 GT3 RS
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
****. If money was no object, it would be a lime green 911 GT3 RS
I really like the way you think, but I didn't mean "take logic and reason out of the equation as well."
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the way you think, but I didn't mean "take logic and reason out of the equation as well."
Oh, trust me. I'd use plenty of logic to reason I need a 911 GT3-RS.
The logic would be I could afford it (you mentioned taking the money out of the equation), and the reason would be 'cuz there is not one single thing I don't like about that car.
Why'd you have to go and ruin my day?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, trust me. I'd use plenty of logic to reason I need a 911 GT3-RS.
The logic would be I could afford it (you mentioned taking the money out of the equation), and the reason would be 'cuz there is not one single thing I don't like about that car.
Why'd you have to go and ruin my day?
then the Veyron would be my pick.