Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ac, temperatur control knobs

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody who have done this....please stop holding out on us!
Old May 1, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
Anybody who have done this....please stop holding out on us!
I guess they like being exclusive... but talking to any mechanical car guy should do the trick. If I find out any info I will def post, might take awhile though!!
Old May 1, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I havent seen any Evo's on here with that conversion, I've only seen JDM or UKDM Evo's with them...just hit up any UK Breaker Yard and buy the unit and have it shipped!
Old May 1, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hittman
I havent seen any Evo's on here with that conversion, I've only seen JDM or UKDM Evo's with them...just hit up any UK Breaker Yard and buy the unit and have it shipped!
Def are some, they just dont advertise in a thread talking about it. They just show pics of their car and dont answer questions about it. I have pics on my laptop of more then 1 car that has it.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the cars that have it are not USDM evos...

there has been a billion threads on this and from what i remember the parts needed are so exclusive and abstract (something like - the jdm evos' temperature control has its own ecu...) that it is just not possible.

look around the interior thread in show & shine and ask around... but don't get your hopes up.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:46 PM
Account Disabled

You could always try wiring in another electronic ECU if you were wiring savvy.
Old May 2, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:53 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Why would you want to spend that much money to change three knobs? So stupid.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

the JDM/EDM are automatic climate control and they are servo controlled, not mechanical like ours. Also, the major factor is that the heater core is on the basically flipped 180 degrees so it wouldnt fit properly.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

I am almost 100% positive the one car I have on my laptop is USDM but I will check later since I think I have pics of the plates and whatnot.

The evo of course is not a luxury car or anything of the sort but that doesnt mean some people wouldnt want to clean up the interior as much as possible. Replacing for an In-dash screen and these knobs instantly upgrades the interior by IMO 10-15 times from stock.
Old May 2, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
The evo of course is not a luxury car or anything of the sort but that doesnt mean some people wouldnt want to clean up the interior as much as possible. Replacing for an In-dash screen and these knobs instantly upgrades the interior by IMO 10-15 times from stock.
Definately agree with you there.
Old May 3, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Saturday morning...

BUMP!
Old May 3, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a full climate control system. Meaning you set a value for temp, fan speed, etc, a computer determines translates that to servos, which do the mechanical magic, and your heat works. But there is a whole slew of sensors, servos, and wiring to be done. Its seriously not worth the trouble. I'm willing to bet it would cost a lot of money.

Also, someone who saw a left hand drive Evo with climate control, doesn't mean it was USDM.
Old May 3, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
Some idiot on another thread claimed it costs 3k to do this swap (which obv isnt true or else nobody would have done it)
i REALLY want to know how to do this, I think best bet might be to talk to big Evo vendors nad ask them if special order is possible.
Are you sure he was an idiot or was he someone who actually knew the truth? There's a big difference.

And yes, it's been covered before, many times. It costs a lot to do this swap, just so you can have some oh-so-jay-dee-em-omfg knobs in your Evo. The cost outweighs the benifits in my eyes. There's no reason for me to replace the mechanical climate controls in my car for electrical ones. Especially since if something goes wrong on the electrical ones, you'll have to source the crap again since the US dealership won't have replacement parts.

Some people have done the swap because they're obsessed with things like yellow turn signals and skinny tires on wide rims. That's why you've seen people do the swap. Not because it's cheap.
Old May 3, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe it is too much money, another cheaper swap is a Galant HVAC swap which still sucks but is better then ours IMO.

And fyi, I could care less about these being JDM, I just wanted a clean looking interior :P