Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

loosing boost between shifts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loosing boost between shifts

i was talking with a buddy of mine that has a 03 evo, and he said this is odd.
ok, so when im at full boost in any gear, i ll shift and loose a lot of boost.
it takes a full second to 1.5 seconds to gain boost again. he says his evo doesnt do this. i had an mr2, which has a larger stock turbo, and it didnt do this.
i have a 2006 evo ix mr. i thought the ix was supposed to have a larger turbo inlet making for faster turbo spool, along with the mivec.
and i thought that the mr had a boost mechanism (???) and a better bypass valve
making for better boost hold. i am confused.
do you think it could be the bypass valve is not functioning correctly???
i did a quick serch so please stay off the flamin. if you dont have good input please read on. please just skip over this post

thank you very much for your input

evo monk
Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you shift to slow. lol my car does it to. not when i shift mega super sonic altra mega fast tho.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

everytime you release your gas pedal... the boost drops... no?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo Monk, you need to meet up with me sometime soon, so I can check your car out and diagnose it. If you h ave no mods, then there should be no significant boost loss between shifts. Yes, the faster you shift, the less loss of boost there will be, but I'm assuming you already know that and are talking about fast shifting. If you're shifting at 5k rpm, doing it slowly, then getting in the next gear and then hitting the gas, then your problem would be an expected result.

1) The IX has a larger compressor cover, but not a larger inlet. Either way, that doesn't affect spoolup much, if any, but yes the MIVEC helps a little.

2) The MR has a boost mechanism? Say what? No.

3) You have the same BOV as every IX, and that BOV is aluminum just like the JDM MR DV, which means it is very good. It is highly unlikely that it's damaged, but it's always possible there was an internal failure (possible, but not likely). It would behoove you to actually know what you bought, don't you think?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cooldude7
everytime you release your gas pedal... the boost drops... no?
Thats what I was thinking...

Maybe you can hook up some anti-lag so you can run 20psi even sitting at the stoplight!!! FTW!!! You'll always have boost, until the turbo dies shortly thereafter.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 06:56 AM

warrtallon,
i thought i did know what i bought. i read everything i could about it. i deff knew more then the sales man at the dealer (ok, thats not saying much). but i mean, i knew all the way down to better piston rings for 10% less oil consumption. thats not what this thread is about.
i would like to meet up sometime. im not sure what my schedule looks like for the next couple weeks yet. do you have an msn messanger? it is nice you are in the springs.
about the shifting at 5k, its aroung there. in daily driving i dont like to totally beat on my car. the shifts are not redline, but close. the shifts are not lightening fast. im not that kind of driver. im a street driver. i shift fast, but safely. im paranoid as hell ill break my new $37k car.
thank you

evo monk
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this thread for real?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Take your bypass valve out.

Last edited by bolsen; Jun 30, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo monk
warrtallon,
i thought i did know what i bought. i read everything i could about it. i deff knew more then the sales man at the dealer (ok, thats not saying much). but i mean, i knew all the way down to better piston rings for 10% less oil consumption. thats not what this thread is about.
i would like to meet up sometime. im not sure what my schedule looks like for the next couple weeks yet. do you have an msn messanger? it is nice you are in the springs.
about the shifting at 5k, its aroung there. in daily driving i dont like to totally beat on my car. the shifts are not redline, but close. the shifts are not lightening fast. im not that kind of driver. im a street driver. i shift fast, but safely. im paranoid as hell ill break my new $37k car.
thank you

evo monk
Sounds like you bought the wrong car and sound like you just don't know how to drive it. I've never heard of the term "street driver," but you don't have to drag race the thing all over the place in order to drive it quickly. If you are shifting that low in the power band and shifting slowly, then it means you are way out of the powerband in the next gear, which causes you to always experience turbo lag.

I'm not sure why you think you'll break your car just by driving it properly on the street. We're not talking about racing the hell out of it with full boost for 20 mins straight on a road course (the Evo holds up to that very well). I have 20k miles on my MR with 200+ drag runs, 300-400 minutes of road racing, and about 20 autocrosses. I think you can safely drive it a little harder on the street, since nothing you'd do would be 1/10th as abusive as the stuff I listed. If you don't ever use the car, then it would almost seem like a waste of 37k.

If you want to meet up sometime, you can find me at DIA doing autocrosses each month, Bandimere drag racing sometimes, or PMI road racing each month. We have an SCCA auto-x this weekend, but it's down here in the Springs this time. I might hit Bandi on Wed night for test n tune.