Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any complaints about shep tranny or t.r.e.??? more...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eshark
^ when is your car going to be back together?
lol shut up eddie. when are you picking me up is more like it?!

it'll be ready when mitsu gets off their butts and sends jon the specialty parts he ordered. we are at their mercy. thats in no way his fault.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Those two guys are the best in the buisness I torn between the both of them when the time comes. Ive talked to Jon before he is extremly knowledgeable and if you can get in touch with him hell tell you everything you need to know.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TRE had replied in threads I'd posted here and in PMs. When push came to shove for me to make a decision I couldn't find Shepard at what I guess was their old website so I went TRE. She's just in with a new clutch and working great after 400 miles - a bit tight in the synchros but they're already working in.

The most frustrating thing about doing business with them is how difficult it is to talk to them. E-mail works great but a phone discussion can be difficult.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, really - just my impression.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
If shep does not do the 4th gear changes you want what it the point in sending it to him?

my 5th gear is grinding a little...and im planning on building the car up now since i have some money saved, and more time on my hands. i want to start with the important stuff first before i start making more power, to keep from breaking stuff in the future....the way it should be done...
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

shep for me AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...p+transmission
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Wow. Six weeks? Even though I think they were just as busy at the time, they only had my GSX trans for 1 week and it was fairly damaged. I'm sending my GS-T trans to them and then when my Evo needs it, off to TRE it will go.
Yes, 6 weeks but I don't think that is has actually been in my shop for 6 weeks, maybe 3, but I don't want to start some G-damn "how many days, hours, seconds" thread of this. The point is that his transmission is a 6 speed and I'm waiting on some parts that are on back order from Mitsubishi. So his transmission just has to wait till the parts arrive, simple as that.

Jon@TRE
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

I have no experience with TRE I am sure they are great

I do have a SHEP trans ion my evo and its like having a shifting orgasim every time I drive - the guy is a total genious of transmissions
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

oops nm

Last edited by justchil; Jun 30, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Jon @ TRE is a very intellegent individual who knows the "ins and outs" of mechanics to say the least....i LOVE my Ralliart upgraded TRE t-case setup and as soon as i have tranny issues Jon will be the first to know! I just wanted to edit this and add that i personally haven't ever gone or had anything from Shep but i only hear good things! Also, make sure to get a good multidisc clutch if your intentions are to shift fast at high rpms and not cause much undo damage to your trans after the rebuild.

Last edited by evodave; Jun 30, 2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

My emails from shep.

Sorry Mondays are so busy. Sometimes we are on the other line returning calls. I had your name on a list to call before I went in. It is a fairly common problem on the 6 sp. We had $900 in the last one and that included a rem/cryos slider for 3-4 as well.
Thanks
John Shepherd
^still never called

So I should answer phones all day and get nothing done? Did you try and leave a message instead of repeatedly calling ? It would have been returned. And btw I did reply to your installer.
Thanks
John Shepherd
^now why would i leave a message when you've proven to me you don't respond to them

I already replied to him with the # for a shipping company we use to pick it up on a pallet.

Thanks
John Shepherd
^ nope, he never did email my mechanic

then i get this email from TRE

Kevin,

This is something that we are aware of and know how to fix so it doesn’t happen again.

The cost of this rebuild will be around $1150-$1400 depending on how bad off it is.

All parts are hot tanked and thoroughly cleaned.

Transmission case is glassed and thoroughly cleaned afterwards.

Parts are inspected for cracks via wet-Magnaflux machine.

Parts are inspected for wear/damage and compared against manufacture specifications.

Gear contact patterns are inspected, checking for full tooth contact at the D.P.C., a time consuming but worthwhile process.

Gears are stress relieved, detailed and modified to improve durability.

Components are then ran through our in-shop machine shop, receiving the best work and attention by professionals of the trade.

Parts are then carefully assembled, we work very hard on making sure what you receive from us is the best.

We also have some new parts and I’ll see if your transmission would be a good candidate for them. Recently I've added vibratory polishing and REM finishing to our list of processes. There are several parts that must slide past on another inside of a transmission when you shift gears and these parts generally have a sub-par machine surface finish. The faster you try to shift the more friction is created and the shift quality diminishes. The end result is that the TREM finish substantially reduces the amount of force required to shift the transmission and this rewards the driver with silky smooth shifts even when shifting the transmission with a vengeance.

Turn around times are averaging 1 week and we offer a 6 month warranty.

Check out our “round trip shipping service”. It makes shipping of your transmission or transfer case very simple and it’s way more cost effective than making you do the work. We take the headache out of shipping!

http://www.teamrip.com/transship.html

Let me know if you have any questions, I’m happy to answer them.

Thanks,

Jon@TRE

www.teamrip.com
The email also came along with pictures of his work. They are all still in my email if anyone would like to see but i'd have to host them first.

TRE's professionalism won me. Shep, while bein a bit cheaper just didn't seem to have an attitude of "I want your business and I want to help you".

So he was passed on.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Interesting.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I have shepard's tranny, couldn't be happier. shift nicely.