Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I crazy or is the stock IX slow???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. SS
its not weak, he's just having torque withdrawal, just mod the car dude... no other way to solve your problem.
How do you know? Have you driven it or taken a ride with him? Like I said there are weaker evos than others.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Coming from an 06 STI? Wow, personally I would of kept the STI, I know this is off subject, but you must have taken a loss on that car, and I just don't see the EVO as a "better" car, more of an equal. I actually like how the STI has cruise control, the 6 disk CD changer, and outside temp guage. Just little things that make the car more "livable". But, as for a racer point of view (of which I am not) the EVO shines. Well, it does not surprise me that your STI seems faster. It has a bigger engine, and more torque. The EVO I find is just a tricky car to drive. You really have to find the "sweet" spot on this car. There are times I try to launch this car and it bogs down, and times I get it right and it takes off so fast it scares the crap out of me! People keep saying the 9 is "so much faster" than a 8 but I really don't see it. I had an 8 and the cars seem pretty damn close to me. Stock vs. Stock I would find it a wash, give or take a 1/10 here or there, and that is most likely due to human error than the cars fault. Also, the 600 miles break in? It takes allot longer to actually "break-in" an engine of any type. Especially while using synthetic oil. Give the car a couple thousand miles. Also, remember the cars ECU remembers how you drive. So if you ***** foot the car, it will seem slower when you want to jump on it. If you drive it like you stole it all the time, the car seems faster. I found that out when I had my 8. My Friends 8 always seemed faster. Both cars dynoed about the same, but I feel its just his car was used to be driven hard all the time, and mine was ***** footed all the time. I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the car. Dynoing the car is a wash, because, I know EVO's in other states dyno higher than cars here in California due to our crappy oxygenated, ethnenol enriched, low octane (91 is hghest you can get at the pump) will detune the EVO so we run less boost than cars running on 93. Meaning? Cars on 93 will have higher HP numbers based on that alone. So give it some time, learn to drive the car, and figure it out. Just be careful of the Clutch. The EVO clutch will not hold up to launches as well as your STI's did. So be careful. Good Luck and welcome to the Mits world.
The 9 is an upgrade in terms of pure performance, and when lightly modded its not even close.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMSFIGHTER (James),

Honestly I don't think you are crazy and actually your comments are some how credible up to a point.
Let me explain, the STI is well known to have the feeling of "pulling harder", as someone mentioned before the type of power output,gear ration, engine reving and spool up make the two cars feel a bit different.

Just so that I can give you the piece of mine, I have perhaps all the STI/EVO magazine test sold in teh USA, even the European ones, the STI is NOT faster than the Evo 9.

Clearly what you are perceiving is the instant response of the small VF39 turbo series on the STI, that mated with a 2.5l displacement plus very short gear ratios plus a engine that does rev as high as the Evo all that makes you think that you are going faster.

The regular Evo 9 speed has taller gears and much bigger turbo, perhaps the STI spools up faster but the Evo 9 is putting more air at lower rpms and boost levels.

The one down side about the Evo 9 engine is that is has a power/boost surge at around 5500rpm, the boost vanishes rapidly after 5500rpm on stock trim.

You should take your car to the track and compare with other friends with STI's.

Put a $80 MBC(Hallman, or Unos) and the game is over, you will quickly find out what engine is superior to the other, STI's stock VF39 dies with boost, 16G comes alive when you boost it

my .2c

Carlos
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah get a few mods on there then when that turbo spools you will forget all about that STI.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

+ 1 on the STi feeling faster but not being faster, I drove my buddies turbo back STi and it felt great, except when me and him do pulls I always come out 1 to 2 cars ahead no matter what.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Personally, I think you were expecting a big difference between the two cars, and when there wasn't one, you got disapointed. If the IX is anything like the VIII, the fuel trim in the upper revs is way rich, so it may feel as though the car is running out of steam as the revs climb (I've never driven a IX). Get a turbo-back and a flash to wake the car up... should be good for ~ 30-40 poines at the wheels.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

torque = makes a car "feel" faster.

for extreme example: compare a stock g35 vs. a stock s2000.

anybody will tell u, just sitting and driving the car without lookin at the speedometer that the G35 is a WAY faster car because of the instant throttle response. but in real life, stock for stock the s2k will pull on a G35, from a dig and esp. a highway roll.

same thing applies to ur IX and STi if u want a car that "feel" the fastest, should have gotten a v8. their crazy available torque at any rpm makes the car "feel" incredibly fast.

hope u enjoy ur new IX. trading in an 06 STi for one so soon...u wont regret it, esp. once u put simple bolt-on's on the IX. check out the Warrtalon Package for $1200, good for ~310-330whp depending on fuel octane and mid to low 12's in the 1320
Old Jul 2, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

What are with these threads, I guess we are getting a lot of SRT-4 and STi/STI converts. Seriously if your concerned about the speed take it to a strip.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
AMSFIGHTER (James),

Honestly I don't think you are crazy and actually your comments are some how credible up to a point.
Let me explain, the STI is well known to have the feeling of "pulling harder", as someone mentioned before the type of power output,gear ration, engine reving and spool up make the two cars feel a bit different.

Just so that I can give you the piece of mine, I have perhaps all the STI/EVO magazine test sold in teh USA, even the European ones, the STI is NOT faster than the Evo 9.

Clearly what you are perceiving is the instant response of the small VF39 turbo series on the STI, that mated with a 2.5l displacement plus very short gear ratios plus a engine that does rev as high as the Evo all that makes you think that you are going faster.

The regular Evo 9 speed has taller gears and much bigger turbo, perhaps the STI spools up faster but the Evo 9 is putting more air at lower rpms and boost levels.

The one down side about the Evo 9 engine is that is has a power/boost surge at around 5500rpm, the boost vanishes rapidly after 5500rpm on stock trim.

You should take your car to the track and compare with other friends with STI's.

Put a $80 MBC(Hallman, or Unos) and the game is over, you will quickly find out what engine is superior to the other, STI's stock VF39 dies with boost, 16G comes alive when you boost it

my .2c

Carlos
Great post

And please before another person posts a thread like this, please search.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

There is a feeling difference. I bought my 9 the same day as my friend bought his 06 sti.. driving in each car the STI feels faster but when we put them next to eachother on the track and the street the EVO was slighty faster even from a slow roll race..
Old Jul 3, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

The 4G63 motors always pull harder around 4k RPM's. They did in the turbo Eclipse's and they do in the Evo's. It's not in your head, take a look at an Evo dyno run and you'll see HP starts to taper off after 5k RPM's. This is easily remedied with a tune so no worries, you're car kicks ***
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:20 AM

Interesting. My friend who owns an 05 STi (maybe 04?) sat in my car and remarked how much more powerful it felt. Now he keeps muttering "man I shoulda got the MR" under his breadth when he doesn't think I'm listening.

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SandSanta
Interesting. My friend who owns an 05 STi (maybe 04?) sat in my car and remarked how much more powerful it felt. Now he keeps muttering "man I shoulda got the MR" under his breadth when he doesn't think I'm listening.

LOL, I had the same thing happen when I compared my '03 Evo to a buddy's '04 Sti. Granted, I had cams in my car, but he was like OMG!! after I gave him a ride.

l8r)
Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

The Post

I know people have been mentioning how some EVO's put down more power than others. That may be true to a certain extent. But I seriously doubt it would be so much so it would be that noticable. I also feel it has to do with driving style. If you drive fast all the time. The car remembers the fuel maps for driving fast in the ECU and it seems peppeir. If you drive like grandma to save gas, the car has fuel maps for low boost and remembers that. You have to drive this car somewhat fast all the time, not speed, just fast. I did my own experient since I did my last post on this subject months ago. I drove for two weeks like grandma, two weeks like a speed demon (quick excels, no 100mph stuff) by the end I felt when I drove the car fast, it was. That simple. All these cars now a days are driven by the ECU. In CA to meet our super clean air standards, the car "DETUNES" itself on the cheap 91 octane gas. I have no actually numbers to prove this, but in the manual of the car it does state 93 octane, and says 91 as being acceptable. I would feel that the lower octane here CA would make a noticable difference. More so, than a higher boosting stock car, vs another. Lucky folks that live where there is 93 or race pump gas, your lucky bastards! What also gets me too is everyone praises the MR for speed, while every car magazine I have read shows the stock 9 faster than the MR in 0-60 and 1/4 mile not to mention the stock 9 is faster in the cones. So stick that where the sun dont shine. haha. I am just hating, but its true, so go ahead and burn. Its in writing! haha. Bottom line, I love EVO's all of them, from the EVO I to the IX. They are all about the experience and fun of driving. They are just great cars bottom line. Some have the cash to make them faster, some don't, but either way, you have a nice ride.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

I have actually seen dyno sheets from stock Evo's done as a baseline run before mods and they sometimes show a huge difference for seemingly identical cars. I'm talking 20-30whp difference in some cases. I'm a firm believer that some Evo's are faster than others whether it be the VIII, IX, or MR.

Sorry to drag this on longer but I just remembered a buddy of mine that did a dyno run with his 4k mile MR and it only pumped out 216whp, ouch

Quick Reply: Am I crazy or is the stock IX slow???