Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I crazy or is the stock IX slow???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy or is the stock IX slow???

Hey Guys/Gals,

I picked up an IX last weekend and I finally finished the 600 mile break-in today. I did some WOT runs and am unimpressed. Interestingly enough, the car "feels" faster at part throttle. I'm coming from an 06 STI and the STI by far felt faster stock.

Do you guys think that there's something wrong with my IX? Maybe it's just time for mods... I didn't rag on the car for the first 600 miles...kept it under 5g's, varying speeds and rpms, no WOT, no high speed runs, got into boost a little, but not full boost, etc...

Any IX converts (from STI) that feel the same? Any help/input would be appreciated.

James
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

yep...............you're crazy.
but under all seriousness, the 9 is suppose to be killer fast, maybe there is something wrong, run it on a dyno, see what hp and tq u get
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:23 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

The reason why it feels slower is because it isn't as torquey as an STi.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Your Post

Coming from an 06 STI? Wow, personally I would of kept the STI, I know this is off subject, but you must have taken a loss on that car, and I just don't see the EVO as a "better" car, more of an equal. I actually like how the STI has cruise control, the 6 disk CD changer, and outside temp guage. Just little things that make the car more "livable". But, as for a racer point of view (of which I am not) the EVO shines. Well, it does not surprise me that your STI seems faster. It has a bigger engine, and more torque. The EVO I find is just a tricky car to drive. You really have to find the "sweet" spot on this car. There are times I try to launch this car and it bogs down, and times I get it right and it takes off so fast it scares the crap out of me! People keep saying the 9 is "so much faster" than a 8 but I really don't see it. I had an 8 and the cars seem pretty damn close to me. Stock vs. Stock I would find it a wash, give or take a 1/10 here or there, and that is most likely due to human error than the cars fault. Also, the 600 miles break in? It takes allot longer to actually "break-in" an engine of any type. Especially while using synthetic oil. Give the car a couple thousand miles. Also, remember the cars ECU remembers how you drive. So if you ***** foot the car, it will seem slower when you want to jump on it. If you drive it like you stole it all the time, the car seems faster. I found that out when I had my 8. My Friends 8 always seemed faster. Both cars dynoed about the same, but I feel its just his car was used to be driven hard all the time, and mine was ***** footed all the time. I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the car. Dynoing the car is a wash, because, I know EVO's in other states dyno higher than cars here in California due to our crappy oxygenated, ethnenol enriched, low octane (91 is hghest you can get at the pump) will detune the EVO so we run less boost than cars running on 93. Meaning? Cars on 93 will have higher HP numbers based on that alone. So give it some time, learn to drive the car, and figure it out. Just be careful of the Clutch. The EVO clutch will not hold up to launches as well as your STI's did. So be careful. Good Luck and welcome to the Mits world.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

The IXs really shine with bolt-ons. Compare an VIII vs IX w/exact same mods, and the IX takes to them better.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

I know exactly what you mean saying it feels faster at part throttle. When I first got mine after driving a modified evo 8 for several years, I was quickly reminded of how slow it felt. I think it has alot to do with the boost tapering off so much at higher rpms. Just put a turboback, MBC, and a flash and I promise you'll be glad you sold the Subaru.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Take off the Spoiler/Wing... i hear it adds 20 WHP cus of no downforce to the wheels
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AhmadHasib
Take off the Spoiler/Wing... i hear it adds 20 WHP cus of no downforce to the wheels
Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

nah stock evos are fun, but not rockets, i though mine was alright stock, but nothing to brag about.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Why didn't you get an MR mine was 265whp and 289 max torque!! and the STI's that i have seen dynoed have about 247 250 whp, so I think you just on crack. Maybe you just didn't want to get rid of your sti! It's all in your mine!!! Now, what do you want the car for?
cuz for daily driver STI for razing EVO that it's my opinon.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:10 PM

Wow this is funny I was doing some browsing and I found this
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=208920
Please tell me your not related cause both of you should be cause neither of you like the Evo. LOL

Last edited by Bullit@5k; Jul 1, 2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rnm
The reason why it feels slower is because it isn't as torquey as an STi.
+1

The "feel" of speed can be deceiving. For some reason torque makes things to be perceived as faster. The IX isn't particularly torquey like an STi, but it can hang or even walk an STi while feeling slower.

Also, when I'm just cruising the Evo feels slow. I find myself looking down at the speedo, thinking I'm only doing 70-75 mph, to discover I'm doing 95 mph. I think a temporal anomaly was engineered into the Evo; time slows down when you are in one.

Hell, I've felt fast on a scooter before, but we all know they are slow as hell.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Coming from an 06 STI? Wow, personally I would of kept the STI, I know this is off subject, but you must have taken a loss on that car, and I just don't see the EVO as a "better" car, more of an equal. I actually like how the STI has cruise control, the 6 disk CD changer, and outside temp guage. Just little things that make the car more "livable". But, as for a racer point of view (of which I am not) the EVO shines. Well, it does not surprise me that your STI seems faster. It has a bigger engine, and more torque. The EVO I find is just a tricky car to drive. You really have to find the "sweet" spot on this car. There are times I try to launch this car and it bogs down, and times I get it right and it takes off so fast it scares the crap out of me! People keep saying the 9 is "so much faster" than a 8 but I really don't see it. I had an 8 and the cars seem pretty damn close to me. Stock vs. Stock I would find it a wash, give or take a 1/10 here or there, and that is most likely due to human error than the cars fault. Also, the 600 miles break in? It takes allot longer to actually "break-in" an engine of any type. Especially while using synthetic oil. Give the car a couple thousand miles. Also, remember the cars ECU remembers how you drive. So if you ***** foot the car, it will seem slower when you want to jump on it. If you drive it like you stole it all the time, the car seems faster. I found that out when I had my 8. My Friends 8 always seemed faster. Both cars dynoed about the same, but I feel its just his car was used to be driven hard all the time, and mine was ***** footed all the time. I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the car. Dynoing the car is a wash, because, I know EVO's in other states dyno higher than cars here in California due to our crappy oxygenated, ethnenol enriched, low octane (91 is hghest you can get at the pump) will detune the EVO so we run less boost than cars running on 93. Meaning? Cars on 93 will have higher HP numbers based on that alone. So give it some time, learn to drive the car, and figure it out. Just be careful of the Clutch. The EVO clutch will not hold up to launches as well as your STI's did. So be careful. Good Luck and welcome to the Mits world.

The 9 is definitely a superior performance car than the sti. I dunno why you think otherwise. Every sti I race incl the 06 I decimate. Its not even a contest including a circuit scenario.

I think maybe you just got a weak 9. Or maybe you have a boost leak somewhere. Every evo boosts differently from the factory and you might have gotten a low boosting one.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AmSFighter
Hey Guys/Gals,

I picked up an IX last weekend and I finally finished the 600 mile break-in today. I did some WOT runs and am unimpressed. Interestingly enough, the car "feels" faster at part throttle. I'm coming from an 06 STI and the STI by far felt faster stock.

Do you guys think that there's something wrong with my IX? Maybe it's just time for mods... I didn't rag on the car for the first 600 miles...kept it under 5g's, varying speeds and rpms, no WOT, no high speed runs, got into boost a little, but not full boost, etc...

Any IX converts (from STI) that feel the same? Any help/input would be appreciated.

James
you have been FuX0red by teh torque..

no feeling like torque, when u go from a car with low down torque to one thats not it feels like ur driving a tercel. exactly what happen to me when i went from a V8 to my EVO.. however a few mods should help.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
The 9 is definitely a superior performance car than the sti. I dunno why you think otherwise. Every sti I race incl the 06 I decimate. Its not even a contest including a circuit scenario.

I think maybe you just got a weak 9. Or maybe you have a boost leak somewhere. Every evo boosts differently from the factory and you might have gotten a low boosting one.
its not weak, he's just having torque withdrawal, just mod the car dude... no other way to solve your problem.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy or is the stock IX slow???