Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

14-16PSI stock??!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14-16PSI stock??!?!?!

i only boost 14-16, its an 03, 100% stock except a autometer boost gauge. i thought these are supose to boost 19 stock? is something wrong?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Autometer isn't the greatest of companys I have heard that those gauges are way off that could be your problem
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, there are a few things that could be wrong. First of all the gauge could be improperly installed. You could also have some leaks not just on the turbo/engine side but also on the actually line that feeds the gauge.

14-16 psi is indeed bellow average. Recheck your boost gauge installation before freaking out.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 2, 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Have you ever had a boost controller? If you have changed the vacuum lines out and then put the stock ones back in without the restrictor in the rigth place it will not make full boost.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:42 PM

i just bought it so i dont know if it had any thing on it. ill check all the vacume lines. it still feels really quick so its probably the gauge. ill order a new one.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have a SW and have no complaints, but if you have the money you can't go wrong with defi
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

No Dont order a new one Yet.. And w/e you do Dont order a Autometer Save your Money and get something Els.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:53 PM

alright... so what gauges should i get when i get them? what ones like boost... oil psi..ect and what brands... Defi is a little to expensive for me.

and should i zip tie all my vacume lines?

all i know is that the car has a autometer sport comp 30 psi gauge.

when i get a new one should i get another 30 psi gauge or lower? because i dont think i will need anything over 21 psi
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 30psi gauge should be plenty for now. Focus on making sure all the lines are properly clear of pinching and bents and off course make sure everything is properly seal.

Don't just trust your sensation that your car feels fast.
Carlos
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

The previous owner probably had a mbc installed. If you plan on getting one, get that instead of the new gauge. If this was the case, you would normally be boosting 11-12psi. One time someone put a restrictor pill from an STi in my hoses and I boosted about 15psi. Stock boost lines are less than $25 bucks.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:35 PM

where does the MBC go? and how can i tell if the lines are not stock? will they be bigger? and if i want to get a MBC can i raise the boost (about 20-21psi) with out getting a tune?
what are good starting mods?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:40 PM
Account Disabled

I would check gauge, then go and check all IC pipes and tighten clamps, then hook up a boost leak tester and check that there are no leaks that way, if the car still isn't making boost its your boost controller...
Old Jul 2, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Autometer isn't the best but that's REALLY off. First just check all the lines and clamps. Is your vacuum low as well?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iwantaEvoIX
where does the MBC go? and how can i tell if the lines are not stock? will they be bigger? and if i want to get a MBC can i raise the boost (about 20-21psi) with out getting a tune?
what are good starting mods?
To answer you Boosting Q.. Yes you can Run 20-21 Psi.. Even 22 Done it on my Evo Bone Stock only a MBC.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no way we can randomly know what's wrong or if anything is wrong. Don't go buying gauges until you know what's going on with the car. Do this for me:

- Take several pics of the engine bay, specifically focusing on the boost lines. You likely don't even know what these are, so look for hoses coming out of your turbo and the shiny circular wastegate actuator right next to it. These 2 short hoses connect to a tee, then a long hose goes from there all the way under the intake to the boost control solenoid. Try to take as many pics of this as you can, so that we can diagnose if you have the stock boost lines or not.

IwantaEvoIX, seriously, you can't just sucker us in with a technical problem, then start asking a bunch of newbie questions. Go do some searching using the advanced search, try to answer your own questions, then come back and PM me directly if you still have questions. Try not to waste space.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jul 2, 2006 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 14-16PSI stock??!?!?!