Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AEM TUNING price

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM TUNING price

For all you people with an AEM EMS, how much did it cost you to tune your car, with what mods and how long was the tuning session?

just wanted to get a general data on this.

ThankS!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:57 AM

getting mine in on moday and i was told it would take 2 days. with a new turbo, injectors fuel pump cams, valves, springs, retainers, ect. and the tune will be 1K.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:01 AM
TEC

Your in GA, so I would go to Topspeed in Alpharetta to have it tuned. They usually can do a full tune within 3-4 hrs (depending on what extras you need dialed in, nitrous, etc.). The cost is between 450-475 I believe.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone tuned the AEM EMS at AMS? If so, let me know a price for similar mods as mine. 35r, cams, injectors, pump, tb ex, ect.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bdub25
Anyone tuned the AEM EMS at AMS? If so, let me know a price for similar mods as mine. 35r, cams, injectors, pump, tb ex, ect.
Its $900 for a one map.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow. Some fairly high prices there.

This is how we do it. IF you buy the AEM EMS from us the tuning is included in the price. How that works is I send you a base map via. e-mail and then I walk you through how to use the system and datalog it. You will send me some datalogs and I will make changes to the map from here and send it back to you. We do this back and forth until the car is running good.

IF you buy the AEM EMS OR any other engine management from us and want to come here the tuning is still included but dyno time is not. In that case I charge $100 per hour for the dyno. I will not road tune a car anymore, too many complaints and for me just too dangerous. If you own a DSM or an EVO I can generally tune the car in less than 2 hours per map you want (pump gas, race gas, alky etc.)

If you do NOT buy the engine management you are running from us then I charge $150 per hour for tuning/dyno time.

Regardless of if you bought the AEM EMS from us or not if I tune it then I stand behind the tune and if you need an adjustment or something I take care of it. I want the car running correctly and you to be happy with it.

A good tuner should be able to finish a car he is familar with in less than 2 hours per map.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a great deal dave.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Tuning usually runs like $150-225 per hour depending on EMS unit...
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

+1 for dave
Old Jul 5, 2006, 03:47 PM
TEC

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

This is how we do it. IF you buy the AEM EMS from us the tuning is included in the price. How that works is I send you a base map via. e-mail and then I walk you through how to use the system and datalog it. You will send me some datalogs and I will make changes to the map from here and send it back to you. We do this back and forth until the car is running good.

IF you buy the AEM EMS OR any other engine management from us and want to come here the tuning is still included but dyno time is not. In that case I charge $100 per hour for the dyno. I will not road tune a car anymore, too many complaints and for me just too dangerous. If you own a DSM or an EVO I can generally tune the car in less than 2 hours per map you want (pump gas, race gas, alky etc.)

If you do NOT buy the engine management you are running from us then I charge $150 per hour for tuning/dyno time.

Regardless of if you bought the AEM EMS from us or not if I tune it then I stand behind the tune and if you need an adjustment or something I take care of it. I want the car running correctly and you to be happy with it.

A good tuner should be able to finish a car he is familar with in less than 2 hours per map.
It really depends on your perspective.

Your pricing for the complete AEM package is a bit higher than what I've seen from other places. With that said, if someone buys the sensors through GMdirect.com, and the AEM from another place at a cheaper price, by the time they add in the $400-$500 of tuning and dyno time their basically back at the same price that your site shows for the entire package and they have dyno time in their to boot which you don't offer.

However, for those people not close to a reputable tuner or dyno facility what you offer is a pretty decent deal if your helping them over the phone. I know first hand how difficult it is to explain things and walk someone through tuning the AEM if they have never touched an AEM or standalone before.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 05:13 PM
Account Disabled

how long was the $900 tune?

I mean, what was included? Did they do all the cold engine start for the morning and offered discount on the race map?

It's nice to have a tuner go through the system with you, instead of giving you the cold shoulder.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 05:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

To all the customers considering AEM tuning services . . . .

Just my own personal testimonial to the talents of Mr. David Buschur

I had originaly been using a "modified" aem which had some changes done which I will not specify and it did not work out that well

A few weeks ago at the WRX vs. EVO shootout, I was puling out my hair (those who know me know I already pulled out al my hair a long time ago but I was still really frustrated) and could not get my car running well after changing almost every simple part

With an hour to go before race time, David Buschur suggested I try the AEM box from the Buschur Racing time attack car and sure enough that was the trick to get my car running good. It seems the coil driver in my modified box had gone bad in so the spare box in the Buschur time attack car did the trick.

Now here is the amazing part

In order to run the stock 1313 box from the time attack car David Buschur loaded in the tuning map from the Black Buschur drag car to make my car start and run.

So here I am at the race with a Buschur AEM map in the car from ANOTHER car - although the set up is very similar as far as turbo, injectors and engine . . . .

I drove the car up and down the street to see how it was running and pulled out two clicks of fuel across the map to make a gross fuel adjustment . . . . and

BAMM - I went 9.7

Next pass was 9.9 @ 150

The car idles better than ever, starts up great and has no tuning problems

This weekend I went 9.8 @ 148 mph

Honestly, I am really surprized to have a 9 second car which is running a UNTUNED BASE MAP from Buschur Racing

I have not changed any tuning in the map I got from Buschur as there is no need to mess with something which is perfect

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jul 5, 2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 05:25 PM

davidbuschur
Old Jul 7, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
TEC,

If you shop hard enough you can find a cheaper deal on the AEM and sensors. We only sell the 1313U box which is the integrated wide band box and the higher priced of the two EVO boxes. We also include with the kit the 5 bar map sensor, OUR billet Map sensor adapter that bolts into the stock intake manifold so the map sensor can simply screw in, air temp sensor and SS 02 bung, pigtails for both the map and air temp sensors. Of course the wide band sensor and harness is included with the 1313U box too. Then no matter if you come here or don't I supply a base map for you to load and run the car on. I've done so many EVO's at this point I can generally come up with a base map that is very close and only minor adjustments are needed.

My point is that shopping for the cheapest AEM box and the cheapest sensors doesn't mean you are going to get the best sensors offered or the best box.

You also said that by the time someone adds in the $400-$500 in dyno tuning they aren't saving any money. As I said, if they come here to be tuned it isn't going to be $400-500. Typically each map takes me about an hour on the dyno, which is $100 for dyno time. Don't buy the box and such from us and it is $150 per hour for the dyno and my time to tune it.

Al,

Thanks for the kind words on the tune, I am not going to fine tune your car, I don't want you faster than us! hahah
Old Jul 7, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Question for David.
Forgive the question if it has been answered elsewhere.
I have stage four modifications. HKS 265's. MAF pipe, Intercooler pipes, 2 1/2" Buschur down pipe, 3" catback, Stock cat., 91 octane, Buschur SAFC and numbers, Huge Intercooler, Buschur MBC at 20 psi. What is the difference in power between this setup, a reflash and a AEM?
Also, what should I do next and what can I expect from it?
I commute in my 2003 and never race.

Quick Reply: AEM TUNING price