Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Preserving the '03 Wing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preserving the '03 Wing

I have a '03 with the rear wing in perfect condition. I just got the car and it was garaged its entire life and the wing dosent even have one spot of discoloration on it. I went to walmart today and parked next to, low and behold another '03 silver evo, its wing was terrible, just completly yellowed and cracking, you could barely see the CF through the discolored clear coat. My car also came from NJ,(sun less powerful?) and now i have it in florida. I just need to know what people with '03's have done to preserve the condition of the wing. Taking it off is not an option and i really dont want to cover up the CF with anything, i like the look of it on the wing alot. I guess i could get an uncut black decal sheet and apply it to the wing, but after the sun bakes the decal for year or so its going to be nasty, cracked, and impossible to get off in the same way. Delema, maybe some dark window tint, on all the CF on the wing would be helpful. All suggestions welcome thanks for your time.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Clean and cover it with Plexus every couple of days, but the best method is to keep it out of the sun altogether. It's a combination of UV, heat, and corrosive material in the air, that is discoloring the clear coat.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by South Side Evo
Clean and cover it with Plexus every couple of days, but the best method is to keep it out of the sun altogether. It's a combination of UV, heat, and corrosive material in the air, that is discoloring the clear coat.
What's Plexus?

Also is this the best way to treat a wing that's clear coat has started to discolor but hasn't become too bad yet?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

I had to recently start to park outside, so I taylor made myself a cover for the horizonal part of the CF wing. A soft ultra suede w/ velcro attachments. Machine washable if needed. Testing it for about 4 months now and so far so good. Most of my co-workers make fun of it- BUT I'm hoping it was worth the effort.
I also constantly coat it with products that UV protect.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

what is plexus, and where do i get it. Yea i was gonna make a cover but i figured the ammount of covers i would go through driving away with them on would be unacceptable. Would a second clear coat do the trick. Or maybe some clear plastic like a plastic shrink wrap only much larger?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

You can get plexus from a local motorcycle shop....
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, now i know where to get it, what is it. Is it like a aresol can filled with some special oil, or a paint on substance, is it a cloth, how much does it cost and how much use will you get out of that ammount?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

But dang, they only sell them in 12 packs.. I wonder where I can get it from, I'll keep an eye out.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

But dang, they only sell them in 12 packs.. I wonder where I can get it from, I'll keep an eye out.
You can get them at just about any local motorcycle store, pretty sure autoparts stores as well....
Old Jul 5, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing, I have an 03 and its my daily driver and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor I don't have a garage and its outside in the elements 365 days a year
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

maryland is less extreme in temp, humidity, just more extreme.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kreionic
Nothing, I have an 03 and its my daily driver and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor I don't have a garage and its outside in the elements 365 days a year
HAHA. Just wait my friend and you will see what everyone is talking about.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've learned to wax the crap out of it ever since I got my CF hood......make sure you have a good layer of quality wax on there at all times......it takes less than minute to wax the thing....let it dry and buff......repeat if desired...I do.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
I've learned to wax the crap out of it ever since I got my CF hood......make sure you have a good layer of quality wax on there at all times......it takes less than minute to wax the thing....let it dry and buff......repeat if desired...I do.
You know what, I believe this is the most logical solution to the problem. So how often should we wax it? Once every three months?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kreionic

same here. no problems after 2.5 years and 66k miles. I don't do anything special to maintain the clear coat.

Quick Reply: Preserving the '03 Wing