Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just bought evo 8 need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This isn't about adjusting your idle - this is about making your car run right, and it can't do that with that BOV. The person who had it before you was just another ricer who cared more about sound and looks than actual performance. You could put on a stock UICP with stock intake, then install one of the aforementioned BOVs, and your Evo would run better than ever. Or, you could re-flange the UICP to put on a basic opening that then connects to your new BOV with a regular hose.

2 hrs is not far at all for getting a custom tune. You would have no other tuning option within 1000 miles, and Al doesn't come here often. You should sign up then come down and get tuned this weekend while you have the chance.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I feel stupid, I bought the car with the stupid intake and BOV. The biggest thing that I am worried about is that there is different than stock piping coming from the intercooler and I dont know if any other intake will fit. The pipe was designed to fit the HKS does that mean I have to try and get the stock piping back on, or do I need to figure out some way to get custom piping? There is a mini battery in the car also, because the stock wont fit over the current piping.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, don't feel stupid - most people have no clue and get all giddy when they see a used Evo with mods. Frankly, with 50k miles and all that junk on there, I'd be very concerned with its longevity, so hopefully it holds up for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had many problems not too long down the road.

As for your dilemma, you likely cannot install the stock airbox, but you CAN install a different intake. You could sell that K&N Typhoon and just replace it with a basic $80 Buschur filter, but then you'd need the accordion MAF pipe (rubber) that goes from the maf/filter to the turbo. I'm guessing you didn't get that with the car? If you come get tuned this weekend, I could probably get Dynoflash Al to bring a Buschur intake, and we could probably drum up a stock MAF pipe for you from one of the other Evos getting tuned. Then, all you'd need to do is change the flange to a outlet nipple for a recirculating BOV.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:22 PM

i actually have the stock intake also, it came with the car in the trunk. I can just buy the buscher filter and use the stock plastic pipe? Wont that hurt my performance?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Heh, no man, that's the whole point. The damn hard pipe you have is what sucks about that intake. It doesn't give you power - it takes away power. The 100% stock intake is great, but you will not be using the whole thing - just the stock MAF pipe that is specifically designed for airflow that the MAF can understand.

The whole point of this is to FIX your car's performance. You're worried about a known, proven stock part hurting your performance when you're already driving around with what is probably worse than stock performance right now.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:35 AM

oh ok. I understand now. So I can just replace the k&n piping with the stock piping. Can I still use the filter that came with the intake also, or should I just get a whole new filter also?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

not to butt in....but Warrtalon obviously knows his stuff, he is invoved with the right people. Listen to what he says. Especially about searching for your answers.
I had the same issues with my POS SSQ...and you can find just about any answer to any question on here.

...but if you just want to throw another part at your car, just go buy this:
http://hksusa.com/products/?id=2175
Old Jul 6, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

guys lay off the noob bashing, you know everyone goes through this when they first get an evo. yea definetly get rid of that bov and intake. the hks is good for older dsms but not a evo. try a recirculating one valve i have the agency power adjustable one it works great, and as for that intake anything else would be better then that.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
guys lay off the noob bashing, you know everyone goes through this when they first get an evo. yea definetly get rid of that bov and intake. the hks is good for older dsms but not a evo. try a recirculating one valve i have the agency power adjustable one it works great, and as for that intake anything else would be better then that.
not noob bashing....I call it tough love. It is the same treatment I was handed when asking about this "mod" or alternative part to stock. Think of it this way...my Dad only hit me because he loved me
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Ricerman, you should be able to retain that K&N cone filter and use it with the stock MAF pipe instead of having to buy a new filter. I say "should," because I don't know if there is a weird adapter on the MAF to make the filter fit. If not, then it should be fine.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ecu+ has a feature for running VTA that's supposed to alleviate some of the rich conditions in shifts I believe...

look into it a little.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

so if you hve just the intake then will you still idle ok? because i want to get a hard pipe and i was going to order a K&N today. will it still idle fine iwth just an intake?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ApexVIII
so if you hve just the intake then will you still idle ok? because i want to get a hard pipe and i was going to order a K&N today. will it still idle fine iwth just an intake?
PM "Scorke" on evom. He has an INJEN intake only without the pipes kit. That is a suitable intake that is not sold separately from INJEN.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

What do you mean by "just the intake"? What else is there - are you meaning not a BOV? Also, what hard pipe are you talking about? Hopefully, you don't mean the MAF pipe going from the intake to the turbo. Why would you get that? Even if you meant a UICP, that's not helpful either. Nothing here in your post is helpful to your car, and you will need to get tuned just in order to have those mods and not run crappy. Save your money and use it on mods that make your car faster, imo.

Whatever you do, don't get the K&N Typhoon. I don't know if they sell any other intake besides the drop-in filter.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

i wast the hard pipe so i can hear the turbo a little and the stock BOV