Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just bought evo 8 need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read some of them none of the ones i have actually explained why. then just say the same thing over and over. just tell me and i will shut up. its a simple question.

is the maf not calibrated for the intakes size? it cant be just because there is now more air. because aMAF sensor can calibrate for up to 18% more air on most cars
Old Jul 6, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here you go, although you can find this all yourself:

Stock airbox provides a specific airflow over the MAF sensor which is what the stock ECU is tuned to. It knows X amount of metered air means there is Y amount of actual air going into the engine. The corralation may or may not be linear, but is tuned in nonetheless. Introduce a different airflow path, along with turbulence, and X amount of metered air no longer means Y amount of actual air (even though the ECU thinks it still does). In very general terms, aftermarket intakes are making our cars run leaner (or in some cases irradically because the airflow over the MAF is too turbulent to get a proper representative amount of metered air as compared to actual air).

The reason a VTA BOV makes your car run poorly is that it lets metered air escape. So, your ECU is putting in fuel for air that it believes is there, even though it has been vented. So, you run rich and your car dies. Really great!

Sorry if I missed something...
Old Jul 6, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

thank you.

so just get a drop in and that will make more power? and help with some sound?

i knew that a VTA BOV does that thats why ill get a JDM MR BOV later
Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:45 PM

Wow guys, this thread kinda turned into a flamer. Thanks for all the help. I will try to get my ecu reflashed here soon for all of my other mods, and try to install the stock intake. Since I never did the install on the K&N it will take me a while to figure out how to get it installed.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
My car has the Injen setup (tuned) my girls has a drop in. Spool up seems a bit quicker in my car. Her cars power delivery seems way more consistant and repeatable. My car is a little more weather dependent it was that way before the flash as well. I guess I have some more tweeking to do.