Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just bought evo 8 need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought evo 8 need help!

I purchased a used awsome condition evo 8 last week, with 50k miles on it. The car runs great, except for one thing. The idle is terrible. When driving it is fine, its when you put the clutch in and the RPMs fall back to idle that is the problem. The RPMs will fall past idle, usually go low enough to almost kill the engine, the lights will dim, and sometimes the car will die. I am unsure of what the problem is. I was thinking it is either the new fuel injectors that I have, or the idle air controller. I havent owned an evo before so I dont know if they are adjustible or how to adjust them. If someone else has been having this same problem and would like to help me please feel free. This is the only thing that is stopping me from fulny enjoying my new car. I was thinking of getting the ecu reflashed for the new parts and stuff by dynoflash, but I am not sure if that will fix the problem, and I dont wanna drop $200 to not fix the problem. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

It's caused by either your K&N intake or your HKS SSQV, which is probably VTA isn't it?

Don't do that.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome to the wonderful world of i have an unrecirculated ssqv ... but honestly i had the problem in my 03 when i did recirc it also... buy a jdm mr blow off valve or from someone other than me with a ix who has taken it off...
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
with all those mods you should see a tuner,also if you have a k$n intake without a tune and the hks ss bov would make your car idle like shoot!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

you should see a tuner anyway, by the looks of it i'd say you had a bigger turbo setup on there before it was traded in. go see someone or get a new flash, get rid of that intake because it sucks and is bad for the car and get something else... i have an injen i will be selling shortly for pretty cheap, only had it for a few months, but im getting something different
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:04 PM
j8
Evolving Member

+1 for putting the K&N intake in the trash. That intake is nothing but trouble, your car will thank you. As everyone said the idle is cause by the BOV.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:06 PM
KY
Evolving Member

get a turbosmart bov, the evo specific, you can vta or recirc. then get Al to flach that thing
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

Lol Wtf Omg Hks Ssqv Vta Imo Rofl Ymmv!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:49 PM

Ok wow. I did not know this car had that many problems. I have a recirc kit for the HKS I think. if I get the recirc kit, it wont make the wonderful sound will it? If I go buy another intake that will help also? What kind of intake do you guys think I should get? Will tuning help me keep my BOV VTA?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:52 PM
KY
Evolving Member

I have a turbosmart BOV that is VTA and isn't the Evo specific model. At first it would cause idle to drop low in certain situations, but I knew when and how to deal with it. Ever since I have been tuned for cams and fuel pump I noticed my idle RPM has been raised. My car no longer attempts to die on me, but I think it is just from the raised idle.

GET A TUNE! DYNOFLASH!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:02 PM

Ok well I have the recirc kit for HKS BOV the next question is, How do I get the HKS outta the car and install the kit?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

No, do not install the recirc kit.

1) Sell the HKS SSQV
2) Sell the K&N intake or burn it
3) Install the stock intake
4) Purchase and install a JDM MR DV or Forge RS DV
5) Learn to search, since you asked a question that has been answered countless times and that everyone knew the answer to the moment they saw your mod list
6) Your name is fitting - "if I get the recirc kit, it wont make the wonderful sound will it?"
7) Where in CO are you? Dynoflash will be here tuning Evos in the Springs _THIS_ weekend!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

i have a recirculating hks ssqv and a buschur intake and my car does the same thing so that is why i will be going up to ams soon to get a tune to correct the problem.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:15 PM

I live in the north. The springs are like 2hrs away. I was gonna give them a call and see about the getting me ecu flashed. YES I am a newb with evos, I have never owned a turbo car before, please dont be mean to the newbie. There is also an aftermarket front mount with a different than stock pipe up to the throttle body, with an hks flange on it. To buy the JDM MR BOV I am gonna have to buy a new hard pipe also? Is there anyway to adjust the idle without having to have the ecu reflashed?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Um, big huff, a tune will not fix your problem. You really just need to get rid of the SSQV. I have no idea why people waste money on that thing, especially if they're just going to pay extra to recirculate it - just makes no sense. The intake won't make your car die all the time - it just messes up the MAF readings. Also, Dynoflash will be in Chicago in 3 weekends if you want to get tuned for several hundred less. Unless you already have an appointment with AMS, you'll have to wait a few months to get on the list.