Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

body shop put 200 miles on my car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
ECUFlash 2000rpm limit and -10 ign timing. There won't be more than a 1/4mi on that ***** next time. :LOL:
That's you answer to making it like a Lancer...Would be even worse I'm sure my old OZ would romp you inthe 1/4

WADAD
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
this happened to me. i had 68 more miles on my car and lets just say you should of ben there to see the out come. o and i dident pay for **** eather. 600+ dollors for free. but a few more miles then wanted. long story short. i came in. car had more miles on it. i asked y the guy said no way. i show'ed him. he said not meeeeeeee. i walked inside went behind the couter took my keys and left. did not pay. there is more to it but this is a short side to the story.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 05:38 PM
Admin Alumni

Sorry, but from here sounds like you don't have really good proof and you're basically SOL. Assuming the shop was willing to talk, what do you want in compensation? A new car? Not likely to happen. Money? Possibly they will throw some your way. I agree that you should approach them with a professional and determined attitude and you may make some headway, but I doubt it. Unless you can prove that some type of damage was done to your car and that they were not driving it for legitimate 'testing', you don't have much of an option than to just not go there ever again and let people know how shady they are. After all, you did basically turn over use of your car to them (check the contract and/or terms of service). I know it sucks, but that is how I see it. Hope it works out for you.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Stop payment of your check? You asked for a service to be performed (paint and body work) in exchange for money. If they performed the service, you must pay for it. Most states allow certain automotive service people to put leans on a car for non-payment. 200 miles on your car has nothing to do with your agreement to pay for services rendered. If anything, stopping payment on the check will only confuse the situation, as it would go against you in court (if it ever made it before a judge). They could easily claim you complained of the miles after they put a mechanics lean on your car for non-payment.

But seriously… to sue them, you have to prove 200 miles was put on your car while it was in their care. Sounds easy, but it much harder than you think. Without good evidence, it boils down to your word against theirs (crapshoot).

IF (that’s a big IF), you are able to prove they did put the miles on it… And (as others have illustrated) what do you expect from them? Can you prove they drove the car hard? You have no idea how your car was treated and in this country, the defendant has the benefit of doubt. As far as the judge is concerned, they drove it normally.

Chalk it up to experience. Caveat emptor. I thought everyone knew to never trust body shops, tint shops, valets, or anyone else who has the keys to your car. When you must leave your car, be honest with them. Talk to the manager and make sure he is very clear as to how many miles they will put on the car. Get it in writing if you have to. And if your gut tells you that he’s being dishonest… leave!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:10 AM
Account Disabled

when all else fails...wait 6 months and don't forget the cinderblocks.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

and with this thread I've finished my valet map.

Let us know what happens.. 200 is beyond the needs of any shop for any install.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

i had a chevy dealer do this to my old T/A (i know its a pontiac dont ask). i took it in for a window motor, my car was slammed on full race suspension, on m/t et streets, and had every bolt on possible and a bottle, it was a deep 11 car. on with the story, i came back to 73 miles on my car and black **** down the back of my car (mt tires throw some of their tread off all the time) i was pissed considering in 1 years time i only put 1100 miles on this car, i rarely drove it except at the track and occasionally cruising as i had a daily as well, it was a $430 bill i yelled at the service advisor guy, i had to talk to his manager, i walked out only having to pay parts, 175 bucks, but i told every single person i knew about it and not to use them, if you hurt them by word of mouth it can do a lot, post thier name on local forums, complain to the BBB, every complaint made is visible on the net. threaten to sue usually they will buckle under pressure

Last edited by HIPSI9; Jul 8, 2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear what happen. if you can't resolve this problem just burn there place down.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
provide a very painful death
If there existed a world without consequences, this would be the most clear choice.

However, the idiot beating on your car for 200 miles obviously didn't care about consequences.

RAISE HELL!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Well it's pretty obvious nobody on this page read all the posts....
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

1. Find an old abondoned place.
2. Completely reinforce the whole place so no one can get out.
3. Capture the people that worked on your car.
4. Don't get arrested.
5. Pull some Saw or SawII shat on all of them.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I am taking bets on how many posts until people see that the original poster got his check-in mileage wrong.