Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wheel bearing issue...anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please read the whole thread before posting. He can feel play in the bearing when the car is on a lift. the tires are not the issue...
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
could someone please explain to me the way to check for play in the bearing?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hondafan
could someone please explain to me the way to check for play in the bearing?

when the vehicle is off the ground and the wheel is on and all the lugs are tight you put one hand on the top of the wheel/tire and one on the bottom and kinda pull back and fourth tightly. Usually bearings will not have much movement when bad. But if you feel any movement at all then it needs to be replaced. And for checking tie-rods do the same but you would place each hand ..one west position and one east position. If that makes sense....
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:06 PM

just took my car to a mitsu shop with loud road noise soundin like bad tires. They said they are ordering new wheel bearings, both seem to be garbage....kinda weird car has 31000 miles. Covered by warranty though....see if it fixes anything...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timzcat
Easy to tell if it's the bearing.
When it is making the noise steer right and steer left.
One way makes it louder the other it will all but go away.
It's been so long but it should be whatever direction of steer is the opposite bearing.
So turning left would make it louder so it's the right bearing and vice versa.
WOW

MATE!!!

probably you made me find what's wrong with my car!!!

I have this vibration/grind for some time... I even upgraded my whole tranny to Shepherd, changed clutch, flywheel etc etc... The vibration noise still there... Especialy in 4th and 5th gear!!!

HOWEVER, now that you said it, when i make right turns in 4th or 5th gear, the vibration, grind becomes more noticable but when i turn left it becomes less... Now i know what i have to look during the weekend that i will have free time...
Old Oct 18, 2007, 06:06 PM

no warranty i take it? sucks man, i need one for my jeep too.. not cheap at all
Old Oct 18, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

is the noise a constant scrape or is it more rhythmic? is it audible at low speeds?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

so anyone find out where to get and how much new bearings were?
Old Nov 17, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I might be encountering a wheel bearing issue... same noise I had when two wheel bearings went bad on my talon. The thing is the car has only 7,600 miles on it. I am going to take it in Monday...

My noise is coming from front right. Yet to get it jacked up to feel for play.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by timzcat
Easy to tell if it's the bearing.
When it is making the noise steer right and steer left.
One way makes it louder the other it will all but go away.
It's been so long but it should be whatever direction of steer is the opposite bearing.
So turning left would make it louder so it's the right bearing and vice versa.
I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to add some information for anyone else who might suspect they have a wheel bearing issue. I just got to the bottom my bad wheel bearing/noise issue and maybe my experience will help another Evo owner.

First off, my symptom on my '06 Evo IX was a loud, low humming/vibration noise whenever I turned to the right. I didn't need to be cornering hard or at high speed... it did it even when changing lanes on the highway.

It was pretty disturbing sounding... it was as if the tires were on the edge of a "rumble strip" at the edge of a highway intended to wake up a sleepy driver.

I initially suspected a bad wheel bearing on the LEFT side of the car, since that's the side that would logically get loaded harder when turning to the right, but it turned out to be a bad RIGHT front bearing... totally weird. I had my doubts when the dealership called me and told me this, but they said they had it up on the lift "driving" with all four wheels turning, and the noise was clearly emanating from the right front. And the problem is definitely fixed now.

So, at least in my case, the bad bearing was on the SAME side as the turning direction that caused the noise. And, the tech said that there was barely any discernable play on that corner of the car.

FYI, my car has less than 7500 miles on it. BUT, I just got it used, and the car already has an aftermarket clutch in it, so who knows how hard the previous owner had beat on it.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:36 PM

wheel bearing

the dealership check my car about the noise that I concern and they said inspection found concern caused by worn left front wheel bearing hub assembly, but the good news is that it's cover under my warranty.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Also, how hard you drive your car (turns), wider/sticker tires and condition of the surface you drive your car on greatly affects bearing life.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did my rear hub/bearing with a friend, ordered the OEM part from JNZ Tuning For $150, cheaper than from Mitsu directly.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

what was the point of bringing this thread back to life from two years ago. Just to say that your problem was covered under warrenty... Fail
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

If the car was pushed without axles being in the hubs that will kill bearings. The previous owner of my car said that never happened but shortly after getting the car running I had to replace both front wheel bearings.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing issue...anyone else?