Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Car wont start

Any ideas would be great, just replaced my turbo and manifold last night. It started no problems but there was a exhaust leak on the manifold. So today I took of the manifold and replaced the gasket that sits between it and the turbo. Put it back together and now it wont start. Everything is tight and it cranks just doesnt start. It is backfiring and stuff. I am suppose to take my car to get it dynoed tommorrow, so I need help NOW.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Could it be possible that the front o2 sensor got yanked. Maybe disconnected from under the black valve sparkplug cover? Make sure all the plug wires are seated properly to the spark plugs. Theres also a sensor that when is unpluged the car will crank but never start. I forgot what its called but if you follow the sparkplug wire harness you will end up where its at. Its right behind the valve cover on the passenger side. Good luck. Oh yeah... its called the crank angle sensor.

Last edited by dbdude; Jul 7, 2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if it was an unpugged 02, i think it would still start and run, just in limp home mode with a CEL. has to be something else, but what? maybe a stupid ? but did you plug your MAF back in when rinstalling the intake?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

reset the ecu
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plug in your MAF.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car still starts with out the MAF
Doesnt run well but mine fired up the first time.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Outside of that, common fuse is an engine fuse under the dash along with a few underhood in the box.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Try giving a better description of the problem. Does motor crank? Does it start for a little bit then die? Does it turn over but never ignites? Check to see if you getting spark (unplug a spark plug and have your friend crank the car). Look the entire harness over to make sure no sensor is unplugged. Good luck.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it cranks and tries to turn but just backfires, The MAF and O2 sensor I checked already. The engine dies slowly after I turn the key off like it was running?? It also cranks for awhile then stops then goes again. Like I am losing voltage all of a sudden. Only while trying to start it though. I am going to recheck everything again.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

It backfires!? Do you see flames shooting out of the exhaust (with a very loud BANG)? Maybe you meant "misfires"? Make sure you don't have any vaccuum leaks anywhere (check intercooler couplers, miscellaneous tubing, anything connected to the intake). Check ALL (as in every single one) of your sensors, not just the MAF and O2 sensor.

Originally Posted by cdupont03
Yes it cranks and tries to turn but just backfires, The MAF and O2 sensor I checked already. The engine dies slowly after I turn the key off like it was running?? It also cranks for awhile then stops then goes again. Like I am losing voltage all of a sudden. Only while trying to start it though. I am going to recheck everything again.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I have a plug that comes out of the fuse box, it has a red and black wire and white plug. I cant seem to find where it goes. Can someone please take a look at there car and tell me. Its out of the fuse box under the hood.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

yes misfires, sorry I am on 2 hrs sleep. Working till 3 AM last night on the car.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

BTW I alredy checked all my vac lines, intercooler piping and intake side of the house.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

BUMP.... someone please help me out here.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Since you were working around the turbo, check the power wire to the starter and make sure it isn't loose. With the loss of power comment that seems like the most likely cause.

Quick Reply: My Car wont start