Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

By far the worst review of an Evo IX I have ever seen...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honestly i dont mind the bad grade. But CNET has really crappy auto reviews, last years STi got a 6.5 out of 10. The problem is that all the cars are judged the same way, so purpose built cars aren't fairly ranked.

Bottom line: CNET auto reviews are garbage in general.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

It's hard to read/view a GPS at 140mph!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiftdsm E
honestly i dont mind the bad grade. But CNET has really crappy auto reviews, last years STi got a 6.5 out of 10. The problem is that all the cars are judged the same way, so purpose built cars aren't fairly ranked.

Bottom line: CNET auto reviews are garbage in general.

Excellent explanation. The Evo is totally a purpose built car. Honestly, I'm quite glad that the general public doesn't see the Evo in the same way that we do. I'd hate to see millions of Evos running around like I see other "supposed" performance cars like Boxsters, M3s and the like.

It's like if you have a favorite local band: you want them to be accepted by other people, and always get good reviews, but at the same time you don't want them to sell out. It's not as special anymore to the true fans...
Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Did anyone else notice that he called it the "Evolution I-X" (as in "eye ex"), and not the "Evolution 9"?

At first I thought this thread was being a bit harsh, but after watching the video I agree -- that was a horrible review of the car. CNET has missed the point of the car entirely.

Cabo

P.S. -- Hey folks, I drive a "Lancer Evolution Vee Eye Eye Eye"! ROFL!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cabo
P.S. -- Hey folks, I drive a "Lancer Evolution Vee Eye Eye Eye"! ROFL!
Yeah, I wish I had the "Ewe Kay Dee Emm Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Vee Eye Eye Eye Three Diamond Symbol Racing Edition Eff Cue Four Zero Zero!"
Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:00 AM
Yur
Evolving Member

I posted this review on C|Net in response to their origina review, i doubt they will publish it though:

C|Net's original review does not address the main purpose of this great vehicle. That is to offer pure uncompromised performance wrapped in a form-follows-function shape.

For this reason the reviewer failed to understand this car.

Everything about the Evo 9 is aimed to increase feedback control and power. You will never understand until you truly drive it. When you do, you will instantly forget the lack of navigation and other gadgets and appreciate this car for what it is.

It's said that when Michelangelo was asked how he was able to sculpt The David, he answered that 'Creating the David was easy - all I had to do was remove all that was not the David from the stone.' - And that is exactly what the Evolution 9 MR is - all that you want and none of what you don’t.

When buying a car like this, would you rather pay for a nicer stereo or stronger brakes?

Case in point: The WRX STI (yep, the "i" is now capitalized) has a slightly better interior with climate control and nicer glowing buttons and gauges. Drive it back to back with the Evolution and you will see that all those "extras" robbed the STI of its primary function. Turn is not as crisp, high-speed stability is not as secure-feeling. Mid-corner damping is not as effective. The car just feels bloated. As if somewhere under all the extra packaging there is a true sports car but it’s distant. Dont get me wrong, it is a fantastic car but with the edge polished out a bit. Its perfect for many and in fact i found the STI to be a blast until i drove the MR. Still, the point is, you take away the edge, you stoften things up a bit and you end up taking away part of the spirit and part of the experience.

The Evolution on the other hand is exactly the opposite. Here is all that you need and all you came here for. Take it. It’s yours. Should you feel a need to add extras with time, feel free but this is what this car is. Nothing more and nothing less. A 4-door saloon capable of shaming most of the sports car "pretenders" out there.

Another example: Slide into a 350 Z and you will love the intimate interior and most of the materials used. It’s full of clever features. Drive it slow and you are amazed at how good the car sounds and how everything falls to hand. Drive it a bit faster and it falls apart on you. No power. Average handling. Poor suspension balance, etc. It’s a sports car for those who don’t want to drive a sports car but just want to look like they are driving one.

Again, the Evolution is the opposite. Drive it like your Grandpa and it feels restless. It wants to go out there and have fun. Sure it can play nice but its always saying "Come on, let me show you what I can do!” Once it does, the grin on your face will be permanent.

I drove many different cars, luxury, touring, sports, etc. My second car is an '06 Saab 9 3 (Named as the top sporty compact executive saloon by many automotive publications in Europe) and it serves its purpose which is to transport my wife, son, myself and whatever we bring along from point A to point B in great effortless and for most part completely uninvolving comfort. Yes, it’s our living room sofa on 4 wheels and it is very good at what it does. When the time arrived to pick out something for myself I went high and low in search for that magic feeling. I came close a few times but still came away feeling as if the absence of soul was often covered up with eye-candy and gadgetry. Until I drove the Evolution 9 MR. Its does not pretend to be anything it is not and it’s everything it has to be to wear that carbon fiber wing.

The official C|Net review did not do this car justice. This is not a car you can review the same way you would a Toyota Avalon. This is not a car for everyone and thus its true beauty may elude the average person but for those who understand what a sports car should be - this is the perfect choice. In a way, the 9 MR is more Porsche than Porsche.

In the end let me just say this: If you want your car to feel closer to your home or apartment, forget about the Evo. If you want your car to tell you where you need to go or to figure out how much cold air to blow out to keep you cold, don’t even look at the Evo. On the other hand, if you want your car to follow your every move and react to your every input with purity and precision - do yourself a favor and drive the Evolution 9 MR. Trust me, you will not care about navigation or the sound system. I've owned the car for a week now and I am yet to turn on the radio. The unearthly mechanical sounds this car makes when you apply a bit of your right foot's weight are enough to form the perfect driving sound track.

Last edited by Yur; Jul 8, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

It seems that CNET revised the article at some point because the comments posted by people talked about some information that wasn't in the review or had been edited, i.e. the HP and 0-60 times. After reading it I thought they talked up the car pretty well and downplayed the other stuff they didn't like. Then I watched the video and understood where this is all coming from. The "Eye-X"? For #@&$*'s sake, at least do a little research before reviewing a car.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63
Honestly, If the Evo had the interior of the Acura TL with Navigation, dealers wouldn't have them longer than a day!! Period!!

Yes and the car would also cost 40-50k, it'll turn into the M3
Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:07 AM
Yur
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kings Fan
Yes and the car would also cost 40-50k, it'll turn into the M3
And it will weight more and so in other words be a different car, much like the TL. The TL exists already.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only car has both price and performance close to EVO 9 is the Subaru WRX STi, Nothing else !! BMW M3 or Mercedes C32 cost $25k more when they are brand new ! Lack of $30k car interior ? Yes the Mercedes C230 has batter interior than a EVO, but the performance not even close to EVO !! If EVO has some interior that close BMW 330i or Mercedes C350. then the window sticker for a EVO will be $45K !!

For about $32K ,EVO and STi are the best car to buy for performance !You want heated leather seat or Navigation or something, get BMW or Benz or Audi.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'm glad you guys finally understand where I'm coming from... seriously the guys who posted first about how accurate this review was probably didn't even bother viewing the video.

Yur: You're already infinitely better than the guy who wrote that heinous article.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW, I never heard a person being so inexperienced,rockie,and irrelevant to a car TV show.

He also lie when he mention that the factory does not offer a upgrade system, I am wondering if he is aware of the Infinity package.

He also mentioned that the location of the speakers on the car are terribly clever meaning that they are positioned in the worst spot. Were do you suppose to install your speakers?

Definately there are real loosers in this life and that TV comentator is clearly one of them with a poor future and sucess on the car business

Carlos
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trustz
The only car has both price and performance close to EVO 9 is the Subaru WRX STi, Nothing else !! BMW M3 or Mercedes C32 cost $25k more when they are brand new ! Lack of $30k car interior ? Yes the Mercedes C230 has batter interior than a EVO, but the performance not even close to EVO !! If EVO has some interior that close BMW 330i or Mercedes C350. then the window sticker for a EVO will be $45K !!

For about $32K ,EVO and STi are the best car to buy for performance !You want heated leather seat or Navigation or something, get BMW or Benz or Audi.
Not even that bro, the first STI came with the CD player as an option. Only in 2005 was actually factory equiped but off course the pricetag was higher...

Carlos
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Ummmmmm ...... Yep, exactly

(beats most reviews I've seen lately)

Originally Posted by Yur
I posted this review on C|Net in response to their origina review, i doubt they will publish it though:

C|Net's original review does not address the main purpose of this great vehicle. That is to offer pure uncompromised performance wrapped in a form-follows-function shape.

For this reason the reviewer failed to understand this car.

Everything about the Evo 9 is aimed to increase feedback control and power. You will never understand until you truly drive it. When you do, you will instantly forget the lack of navigation and other gadgets and appreciate this car for what it is.

It's said that when Michelangelo was asked how he was able to sculpt The David, he answered that 'Creating the David was easy - all I had to do was remove all that was not the David from the stone.' - And that is exactly what the Evolution 9 MR is - all that you want and none of what you don’t.

When buying a car like this, would you rather pay for a nicer stereo or stronger brakes?

Case in point: The WRX STI (yep, the "i" is now capitalized) has a slightly better interior with climate control and nicer glowing buttons and gauges. Drive it back to back with the Evolution and you will see that all those "extras" robbed the STI of its primary function. Turn is not as crisp, high-speed stability is not as secure-feeling. Mid-corner damping is not as effective. The car just feels bloated. As if somewhere under all the extra packaging there is a true sports car but it’s distant. The Evolution on the other hand is exactly the opposite. Here is all that you need and all you came here for. Take it. It’s yours. Should you feel a need to add extras with time, feel free but this is what this car is. Nothing more and nothing less. A 4-door saloon capable of shaming most of the sports car "pretenders" out there.

Another example: Slide into a 350 Z and you will love the intimate interior and most of the materials used. It’s full of clever features. Drive it slow and you are amazed at how good the car sounds and how everything falls to hand. Drive it a bit faster and it falls apart on you. No power. Average handling. Poor suspension balance, etc. It’s a sports car for those who don’t want to drive a sports car but just want to look like they are driving one.

Again, the Evolution is the opposite. Drive it like your Grandpa and it feels restless. It wants to go out there and have fun. Sure it can play nice but its always saying "Come on, let me show you what I can do!” Once it does, the grin on your face will be permanent.

I drove many different cars, luxury, touring, sports, etc. My second car is an '06 Saab 9 3 (Named as the top sporty compact executive saloon by many automotive publications in Europe) and it serves its purpose which is to transport my wife, son, myself and whatever we bring along from point A to point B in great effortless and for most part completely uninvolving comfort. Yes, it’s our living room sofa on 4 wheels and it is very good at what it does. When the time arrived to pick out something for myself I went high and low in search for that magic feeling. I came close a few times but still came away feeling as if the absence of soul was often covered up with eye-candy and gadgetry. Until I drove the Evolution 9 MR. Its does not pretend to be anything it is not and it’s everything it has to be to wear that carbon fiber wing.

The official C|Net review did not do this car justice. This is not a car you can review the same way you would a Toyota Avalon. This is not a car for everyone and thus its true beauty may elude the average person but for those who understand what a sports car should be - this is the perfect choice. In a way, the 9 MR is more Porsche than Porsche.

In the end let me just say this: If you want your car to feel closer to your home or apartment, forget about the Evo. If you want your car to tell you where you need to go or to figure out how much cold air to blow out to keep you cold, don’t even look at the Evo. On the other hand, if you want your car to follow your every move and react to your every input with purity and precision - do yourself a favor and drive the Evolution 9 MR. Trust me, you will not care about navigation or the sound system. I've owned the car for a week now and I am yet to turn on the radio. The unearthly mechanical sounds this car makes when you apply a bit of your right foot's weight are enough to form the perfect driving sound track.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 01:50 PM

I thought it was a reasonable review from the eyes of the average person looking for a good transportation car. This is a car that puts performance first with everything else behind. Mine is a daily driver, but for heavy traffic, taking the family, etc., I'd rather be driving something else. Looking at it from another angle it would be nice if mitsu made certain improvements that did not hurt the performance of the car. Decent stereo/ mp3 player, more and bigger gauges that you can see, heavy duty syncros and a stronger clutch. Those are just a few items off the top of my head that should be improved. I don't think anyone considering a performance car is going to base their decision on a c-net review.