Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works P2R vs Ecutek Custom

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Works P2R vs Ecutek Custom

Having driven my car with the Works P2R flash, my evo-owner friend is very confused about having the same for his car or going for a custom Ecutek flash here in Dubai..

He is confused by the fact that the Ecutek will need an MBC whilst the Works is a safer flash and keeps a constant boost without the need of an MBC..

Moreover, the ecutek guys here told him they can control boost and raise it as they flash without the need of an MBC.. Is this possible or are they just bluffing?

Thanks for any input that helps..

Wael
Old Jul 9, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) You're confused (and possibly suckered?) into thinking that the Works flashes are more safe and that they keep a constant boost any differently than any other flash. The Works flash is no different - it's all the same software using the same tool: the stock ECU.

2) EcuTek is just a flashing software. Works uses EcuTek and TechTom softwares, the 2 major flashing softwares, then names it their own. Just like Dynoflash, AMS, TurboTrix, and anyone who tunes with flashes. Both TechTom and EcuTek can do the same thing with boost. Works does nothing special that every other flash can't also do. No flash requires an MBC, but to have direct control over boost and be able to raise it over stock easily, you need an MBC.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not suckered as much as i am happy with the result, that's for all i care.. The P2R did make a difference, and that's what Works has to offer..

I think any other company/flash I would have considered would have needed an MBC which i am reluctant to install..

But since you're at it and I really appreciate all your replies on this forum, what does the hose modification Works offer with their ECU flash and that other dont, do?

Yes i understand it's the same software.. But i also realize that it's the programmer's intuition and experience involved.. That is why i said 'safer' than the 'local' comapny here.. And by safer, I meant safer that it extracts less power than the custom.. Less power=less risk??

Thanks..
Old Jul 9, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hose that you install is so that you can achieve the higher boost. Its got a restrictor inline in that hose.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 05:25 PM
Account Disabled

I think your answer would really depend on the skill level of who is doing the custom Ecutek tune

There are many tuners who do great work and some that will cause more harm than good

The Works stuff works very well
Old Jul 9, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

great DYNOFlash, I GOT MY ANSWER!
Old Jul 9, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, that hose is what allows the Works flash to control the boost and raise it above stock. It's nothing magical about the flash - the hose is basically your boost controller except that it's rigged to achieve the desired result instead of just allowing you full control of your boost at all times. All flash tuners can offer this, and some already do (Dynoflash, Vishnu, etc).
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

I am Waz's friend who is confused on whether to go with the ecutek or the works...
i like the idea of custom tuning...the tuner is reputable..
but can ecutek really control boost?

what would you guys do if put in my situation?

respect
Moose
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Moose, no hose no control.. read War's post, otherwise get MBC no issues, it still works.

Wael
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Moose:

get it from War, Dynoflash, Works, whomever.. I am sure they all excell and this is the SAFE is was talking about.. It's getting it from experts in the states compared to custom flashers here, with all respect to them.. I am dead sure they know more about what they doing..

My opinion i am not biased..

Wael