Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Life with an EVO IX RS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
Out of curiosity, what kind of problems are you encountering with the brakes? I got to my desk this morning after driving through a bad rainstorm for ~45min. The roads were full of standing water. To tell you the truth, I barely noticed a difference, if at all. Per Warrtalon's advice, I was running at WOT at every opportunity. FWIW, my ACD was set to Gravel.
If you're focused, it's ok. Try to do an emergency stop in traffic with kids the car. I'm talking about a situation where you can't avoid hitting something. An ABS evo is going to hit the obsctacle at a considerably slower velocity. A crash at 30mph has a much lower risk of injury than at 40mph.

Hell, we have lots of snow and ice where I live and my winter car doesn't have ABS, either, so what do I know?
That's different. Of course you'd not want ABS in the snow or gravel where locking up the wheels provides greatest grip.

I think that your comments should be considered very carefully by anyone who is thinking about the RS, but is concerned with the lack ABS. It's not the right car for everybody and that may become most apparent to those in colder/rainier climates.
Don't get me wrong. I spent a hard winter in chicago and have been out in 20" + inches of snow many, many times. I was just pointing out that lack of ABS makes the car much more dangerous in the rain than most people realize.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
I start with what I have in bold. A UK EVO or STI would cost me about $47,840+ since you have to take the exchange rate into consideration. We are only stationed here until Oct '07 and I couldn't justify the price or the fact that a UK spec RHD EVO would not be legal in the USA. So thats not an option.

Looking into shipping its going to cost about $1k to ship the car to the UK. Though I will have to drive to South Hampton to pick it up and thats about a 3-4 hour drive, one way!

The entire logistics part of this is becoming a major PITA.
That's what I meant. Are there not huge customs and registration issues with importing a car from the US?

d
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
TI've gotten to the point where I don't drive my car if the roads are wet -- ever. But, I live in the desert so that's not such a sacrifice.
I should annotate this comment. Most native New Mexicans have no clue how to drive when it is wet. This makes it significantly more likely I'll be in an accident on the public roads. Combine this with the lack of ABS and the fact that when it rains here, it stops within about 10 minutes, and you see it's a very sensible decision to not drive in the wet.

d
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:22 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're focused, it's ok.
That must be my problem <grin>.

Try to do an emergency stop in traffic with kids the car. I'm talking about a situation where you can't avoid hitting something. An ABS evo is going to hit the obsctacle at a considerably slower velocity. A crash at 30mph has a much lower risk of injury than at 40mph.
I have my kids in the car every day. I can't recall when I was last involved in that kind of traffic situation, if ever. I don't mean any offence when I say that I get the feeling were not on the same page. Regardless, I think your comments are extremely relevant to the topic under discussion.

That's different. Of course you'd not want ABS in the snow or gravel where locking up the wheels provides greatest grip.
I don't typically drive on gravel so I can't comment, but I have been driving on snow and ice for the past 25+ years. ABS is very helpful to the average driver, and sometimes would be helpful to me if I had it, as would having 4 snow tires. My dad, for example, who is getting on in years, hasn't had winter a fender-bender since he's had ABS. That's saying something ;-).
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I meant. Are there not huge customs and registration issues with importing a car from the US?

d
No we are here under the visiting forces act so we arent held to the same import regulations and taxes. All we have to do is a partial light conversion, SVA (single vehicle aplication), register it and then get road tax. In all, it will cost about $400-500 USD.
When we return to the USA, uncle sam picks up the shipping cost for us.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
That must be my problem <grin>.

I have my kids in the car every day. I can't recall when I was last involved in that kind of traffic situation, if ever. I don't mean any offence when I say that I get the feeling were not on the same page. Regardless, I think your comments are extremely relevant to the topic under discussion.

I don't typically drive on gravel so I can't comment, but I have been driving on snow and ice for the past 25+ years. ABS is very helpful to the average driver, and sometimes would be helpful to me if I had it, as would having 4 snow tires. My dad, for example, who is getting on in years, hasn't had winter a fender-bender since he's had ABS. That's saying something ;-).
I agree with you. I don't think I could ever have another car w/o ABS. Its one of those things that you don't need, until you NEED it. It rains here all the time and the roads are terrible. When I bought tires for the WRX last year I called up Tire Rack and asked for tires with excellent wet grip. Nothing else was a consideration.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:45 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

I don't know if anyone remembers how ~20 years ago there was a big debate happening, just as ABS was becoming more widely available. Some asserted that ABS will have a negative impact on driver competence to the point where new drivers will not know how to effectively modulate their brakes. There were editorials printed in the major auto magazines seemingly almost every month, arguing for one or the other. I thought of this as I was reading this thread.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:51 AM

my rs is my daily driver and i love it, not having power windows and door locks is no big deal , i love the sound and i put in my own radio, not having a wing is a plus for me cause it draws less attention
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:28 AM

sti is much more of a family car. just get it in the right color
Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
No we are here under the visiting forces act so we arent held to the same import regulations and taxes. All we have to do is a partial light conversion, SVA (single vehicle aplication), register it and then get road tax. In all, it will cost about $400-500 USD.
When we return to the USA, uncle sam picks up the shipping cost for us.
Wow, what a deal. I'm jealous.

d
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:01 AM

Thanks ELECTRICIX for the info on the turbo.

Bonestock, good luck with your decision. I would definitely go with the IX over the RS. The ABS is worth having in your climate (not to mention all the other amenities) and especially since you will occasionally be having your kids in the car.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

I absolutely love this car, once I got a radio installed it was all good. Don't really miss anything else such as power windows and etc. It's a great day to day driver car in my opinion. The price for performance is unbeatable.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

my RS is fine for the couple days a week i drive it. kinda wish i drove it more.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:28 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by money pit
kinda wish i drove it more.
I've been taking vacation days just so I could spend more time driving. The RS is an amazing machine.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I think no power windows and stuff would get old on a daily driver, I would go with the SSL. And turbo spool shouldnt be an issue, just dont put the petal to the floor. BTW I was very suprised when I bought my EVO at the amout of interior and trunk space.

Quick Reply: Life with an EVO IX RS