Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Life with an EVO IX RS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life with an EVO IX RS

I am slowing narrowing down my list of potential new cars. I have a budget of about 32-34k to buy a new car. Since I am married with two kids, my car has to remain a 4dr 'family car'. When we return to the USA, it will be our only means of transportation until the wife decides between a B9 Tribeca, Volvo XC90 or the new Honda Pilot.
I am considering the following:

EVO IX MR
EVO IX SSL
EVO IX RS
STi
07 STi limited

I like the STi limited because its more.... discreet. I think its just going to be outside of my price range. After speaking with South Cost Mitsu, you really can't beat their prices. I looked on the east cost but the nearest MR is pushing 41k!! So while we are home in December I would have to fly out to Cali and drive the EVO back to Hampton Roads, VA (actually Portsmouth) to have the car shipped over to us in England. I may see how much it would cost to ship direct to England from Cali.
Since I have to consider the cost of international shipping I started looking more at the EVO IX and EVO RS. I really like the RS since it doesn't have the big spoiler on the trunk. Its the most discreet (can you even call an EVO that?) out of the lineup. The thing that worries is the lack of, well, anything. It has AC.. thats good. Need that in a 'family car' But what about the lack of any other creature comfort? No power windows, no central locking and the big one... no ABS!
I have seen a few posts (when I searched) where a few have mentioned the RS is a bit too hardcore and they seemed to have regretted not getting the next model up.
So you RS owners, please air your comments and feelings about living with a EVO RS as a daily driver. You may PM me if you wish. This is a big purchase and will be my last new car for a while.
Thanks for your time.

Steven
Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

I love my RS but my wife and coworkers really don't like ridding in it. I would go with anything but the RS for a daily.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:54 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a RS with two child seats in the back. It's a part-time family car and my daily driver. The lack of power amenities doesn't bother anyone in our household. I love the car's discrete appearance that allows me to carve my way around without garnering a second look. I chose the RS, in part, because of its character and I enjoy driving it daily. Most weekend mornings I take the RS out for a spin, as well, because driving it M-F just isn't enough.

To be perfectly frank, I'm not sure how my comments can help you. The impact of the constraints we're discussing ultimately hinges on one's personal preference.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:05 AM

Bonestock, I am in a similar situation to you as far as trying to decide on my next car. I love my '94 Prelude, but it's getting old and my wife is pregnant with our first child. So, I definitely will need something soon with 4 doors. I always wanted a performance car, and my next car budget is in the low $30's. I have been reading this forum for weeks now and my enthusiasm for the Evo just keeps growing! I am pretty sure I want the IX SSL.

But, my concerns are similar to yours too. I'd love to hear more from people on this forum with little kids. The car seems roomy enough for two kids (with carseats and all), but has anyone here bought the car and wished they had more space? I also am a little concerned about the turbo kicking in all the time and screwing up my baby's neck (I have minor neck problems so I am paranoid about this). Comfort-wise, the SSL seems to have everything I need for a daily driver, so I can't imagine that will be a problem. My concern is mostly with the kids (I only have one on the way now, but I gotta think of the future since I like to keep my cars around 10 yrs).

Off-topic: Bonestock, PM me if you are serious about shipping the car from South Coast to Virginia in Dec. I am in no hurry to get my car and I live in Herndon, VA. If I do decide to get one, we may be able to ship them together and save a few bucks!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:18 AM

Oh, one more thing: Since I don't own an evo yet, I can't speak specifically. But, generally speaking, with cars in the past, I have always regretted giving up certain features to save some $$. Especially since you said you like to keep your cars a long time, I would try to scrounge up the extra $3k for the IX. Over 5 years (or more), the extra cost will be negligible.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

that 's high for a IX MR. I live in jersey and they have MR for $36K Get the IX SSL. you won't be dissappionted with it. This what I have and the sound system is pretty darn good for a factory sound and the leather is nice. I love the HID and the sun roof. anyways good luck on the purchase.

mike

Last edited by ELECTRICIX; Jul 10, 2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check seascoast mitsubishi im monmouth NJ
i doubt its near 41k
more like 36k
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

+1 $41k is alot for an MR, i got my MR in april for $36k OTD, try Darcars in Maryland
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bonestock!
I like the STi limited because its more.... discreet. I think its just going to be outside of my price range. After speaking with South Cost Mitsu, you really can't beat their prices. I looked on the east cost but the nearest MR is pushing 41k!! So while we are home in December I would have to fly out to Cali and drive the EVO back to Hampton Roads, VA (actually Portsmouth) to have the car shipped over to us in England. I may see how much it would cost to ship direct to England from Cali.
This is confusing. You stated before that this was going to be your only transport in the USA, then you say you're going to ship it to the UK. Why not save an enormous amount of cash and get a UK evo or sti?

Since I have to consider the cost of international shipping I started looking more at the EVO IX and EVO RS. I really like the RS since it doesn't have the big spoiler on the trunk. Its the most discreet (can you even call an EVO that?) out of the lineup. The thing that worries is the lack of, well, anything. It has AC.. thats good. Need that in a 'family car' But what about the lack of any other creature comfort? No power windows, no central locking and the big one... no ABS!
You're not kidding. Lack of ABS should be a serious concern for anybody considering one as a dailey driver, especially somewhere as soggy as the british isles. After more than two years of driving mine, I can definitely say that an RS makes a terrific everyday car. However, you have to be VERY careful in the rain. I've gotten to the point where I don't drive my car if the roads are wet -- ever. But, I live in the desert so that's not such a sacrifice. If you live somewhere frequently damp, you should think about whether you want to devote your full concentration to braking everytime you go for a drive.

To answer your real question, yeah. I'd buy another one.

d
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Pkarandi , The turbo will only spool up during Hard driving. Easy daily driving, you will not feel the spooling if you shift before 3000 rpm. and I too have a child seat in the back. There is plenty of room for him. Steve the one thing they fail to tell you about the RS is that they remove all sound deading materials. So you will hear every bit of the engine and exhaust more than the IX ssl and MR. just a thought for the kids.

mike
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:44 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
Lack of ABS should be a serious concern for anybody considering one as a dailey driver, especially somewhere as soggy as the british isles. After more than two years of driving mine, I can definitely say that an RS makes a terrific everyday car. However, you have to be VERY careful in the rain. I've gotten to the point where I don't drive my car if the roads are wet -- ever.
Out of curiosity, what kind of problems are you encountering with the brakes? I got to my desk this morning after driving through a bad rainstorm for ~45min. The roads were full of standing water. To tell you the truth, I barely noticed a difference, if at all. Per Warrtalon's advice, I was running at WOT at every opportunity. FWIW, my ACD was set to Gravel. Hell, we have lots of snow and ice where I live and my winter car doesn't have ABS, either, so what do I know?

I think that your comments should be considered very carefully by anyone who is thinking about the RS, but is concerned with the lack ABS. It's not the right car for everybody and that may become most apparent to those in colder/rainier climates.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

If it's a family car and daily driver get the IX SSL or MR. I love the RS but I would only get one if it was an occasional driver and /or track car. My wife doesn't really like riding in my Evo because it is so loud. Sound deadening removed from trunk, loud tires, loud exhaust, noisy twin disc clutch, whining 255lph fuel pump all add up to a noisy little ride....it sounds fine to me though The RS will be noisy with no sound deadening and it won't be as practical for daily driving with the lack of abs, or pw.
It will definitely fit 2 kids. I put two car seats in mine with no problem or discomfort to the driver or front passenger. With a WRX there is less back seat room. I don't think two car seats would fit very well in a WRX...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

i was gonna get the MR, but the RS fit my life better, its not my daily driver, so I love it.

get the RS if its your track car, not for a daily driver
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

You might want to consider that Evos have a very harsh ride and are noisy inside. The vibrations may put your kids to sleep, though.
To be a family car you'd need to get softer tires and get some sound deadning material. I can't enjoy my SSL stereo at freeway speeds.
Wing can be removed but it's a PIA.
Car handles like a dream and in boost it shoots off like a bullet.
You should probably get a Volvo S60R - 4wd - 300 HP and family safe. You can pick up a US spec Volvo in Sweden. Crash ratings on the Evo is not impressive.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
This is confusing. You stated before that this was going to be your only transport in the USA, then you say you're going to ship it to the UK. Why not save an enormous amount of cash and get a UK evo or sti?

d
I start with what I have in bold. A UK EVO or STI would cost me about $47,840+ since you have to take the exchange rate into consideration. We are only stationed here until Oct '07 and I couldn't justify the price or the fact that a UK spec RHD EVO would not be legal in the USA. So thats not an option.

Looking into shipping its going to cost about $1k to ship the car to the UK. Though I will have to drive to South Hampton to pick it up and thats about a 3-4 hour drive, one way!

The entire logistics part of this is becoming a major PITA.

The RS seems like it would be ok for me since my WRX just sets in the driveway most of the time and may get 3,000 miles on it a year. But, If I can afford it, I think the IX (and if I am really lucky, a SSL) is what I am going to go with. The car will be primarily for my use but has to be able to accommodate the wife and kids for a short period of time when we PCS back to the states. Hopefully we will be able to purchase her new car within 2-3 weeks upon returning.

Thanks for those the took the time to give advice. I have driven a friends UK spec FQ 340 and it made my WRX feel old and decrepit. The super quick steering took some getting used to though. Don't know how a US spec car w/o AYC feels though.

PK I hope to have which ever car I purchase setting at my best friends house (in Hampton) when we arrive Dec 17th.

Thanks,
Steven

Last edited by Bonestock!; Jul 10, 2006 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Life with an EVO IX RS