Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will a after market Recirculating BOV still get me the cool Pssshhh sound?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not surprised in the least that you made this thread.

Replacing your stock BOV on your IX would be a crime against humanity. Since you're adding the TT intake anyway, I suggest you wait until after the intake is installed before spending $200 on a mod that does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOUR CAR. After you hear the sound of the stock BOV with an intake, then decide if it's worth wasting your money to "upgrade" your already awesome BOV.

FWIW, my Forge RS is way louder than I like even though it's 100% recirculating. I also do not recommend any of the dual vent BOVs like APS, because they STILL vent metered air, so you will never have optimal performance between shifts whether you know it or not.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

i was waiting for your chime in warr
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

the APS still sounds like the stocker. The APS only vents metered air at really high boost applications and even then it is only partially VTA. I ran it on my stock engine, cone filter TBE with zero problems on an 05. The APS is a great choice.

Warr is very knowledgeable but also very biased. Look at his sponsor list and you will see why. I mean no disrespect by this.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I have no sponsor bias towards the JDM MR DV, though. I'm not trying to sell him anything whatsoever - I just don't want him to mess up his car.

Also, I wish people would stop saying "and I had 0 problems" yadda yadda. I'm not talking about problems - I'm talking about venting metered air. There's no way arond it - that's a bad thing. It causes richness between shifts. A partial VTA will have lesser effects than full VTA, but is it worth it just to have some noise? No way. Unfortunately, people go around saying they have "no problems," but they don't even really know, because they never race or really take the car to its limits when such things rear their ugly heads.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

his issue was he didnt want to have any idling issues. By putting on a cone filter will give him idling issues.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

It will? And by idle issues ,I mean engine shutting down at a red light or stop sign

mike

Last edited by ELECTRICIX; Jul 11, 2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Uh, no, a cone filter will not give him idling issues. What would make you say that?

ElectricIX, man, you really just need to do some research. You should already know by now that you're getting tuned, so your intake won't be a problem. The fact that you got swayed/confused by a Newbie with no Evo who doesn't know what he's talking about just tells me you still have no idea what you're doing. Please please go and do some research on your Evo before you get all these mods and add them. You're so exasperating...
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Warrtalon ,I respect you, and I find your info very useful. I will see how the BOV sounds after the tune with TT with their intake installed . thanks

mike
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:14 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

When you get an intake, you'll get the sound you want. I only have drop in filter and the noise is already apparent with the stock box in place with my stock diverter valve.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

by the way warr , I should be getting my Buschur TBE today or tomorrow. Syked!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Great. Installing mine this week, too.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

The obsession with the VTA psssht sound on a non-speed density car is idiotic. It doesn't sound cool, a high revving 4G63 sounds cool. It doesn't get chicks, maybe ugly fat chicks. It's a bad idea becuase it instantly attracts cops to your illegal mods and for no performance benefit (unlike a 3" TBE). Kids sacrifice performance for the lame BOV sound because they're kids, and the smart kids don't do it. VTA with speed density is a different story.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I have no sponsor bias towards the JDM MR DV, though. I'm not trying to sell him anything whatsoever - I just don't want him to mess up his car.

Also, I wish people would stop saying "and I had 0 problems" yadda yadda. I'm not talking about problems - I'm talking about venting metered air. There's no way arond it - that's a bad thing. It causes richness between shifts. A partial VTA will have lesser effects than full VTA, but is it worth it just to have some noise? No way. Unfortunately, people go around saying they have "no problems," but they don't even really know, because they never race or really take the car to its limits when such things rear their ugly heads.
I disagree with your statement. I had ZERO problems. I auto-x the car, I took it to a drag strip, I had it on multiple dynos, hell I have even taken it onto fire roads to see what rally-x was like.

In fact, the APS BOV cured a small BOV flutter I had at partial throttle and held my boost steadier. This was all before I went speed density. I have almost 10k miles or more on that BOV. Richness between shifts...come on. It happens so fast when you shift how do you even log that?

There is a general misconception being spread by YOU that certain parts are bad or cause running problems when they dont. Even when people like me, who use the parts give their personal experience. Some of it is based on fact. 100% VTA caused problems on cars. Untuned intakes with the hard MAF pipe caused problems. The point is, there are parts from other manufacturers that work equally as well as the ones you promote and push on people. Good for you Warr. I hope you are getting some kind of kick backs for it.

You need to pay attention to the feedback of other members. Especially when say "you dont take the car to its limits" and obviously I have. It may not be the route that you choose, but that does not make it wrong.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

I have the greddy type-s recic. with a cone filter and at higher boost i still get a fairly loud pssht noise and at lower boost a get a flutter which i actually like better.
Edit:
Also the car still idles stock and has had no neg. impact at all

Quick Reply: Will a after market Recirculating BOV still get me the cool Pssshhh sound?