Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will a after market Recirculating BOV still get me the cool Pssshhh sound?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Feel free to argue with Malibu Jack on venting metered air if you don't believe me. You may not have known you were having between shift richness, but you were - it's just a fact of life. There is no benefit to paying extra to vent metered air, so why do it? Doing it just for sound is foolish.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same old Warrtalon, never learned. very sad
Old Jul 11, 2006, 01:14 PM

look. the point is, you do what you want to do. it's your car.

personally i have an atmospheric bov. i didn't buy it for the psh sound for you nerds out there, i bought it because i plan on running higher boost in the near future (the stock bov/forge diverter valve i used wont beable to handle it).

sure im a ricer at heart, but despite what anyone says on this forum, there is NO ANSWER to this debate. it has been disputed on numerous forums, on numerous occassions, each side has its pro's and con's.

to give you an example, my car im running the sard racing bov. my boost doesn't taper off as much as it used to (before the mbc), and it also holds peak boost better. hey thats good! at the same time, the maf doesn't get a valid reading and occassionally the rpms will drop. it doesn't happen very often, but it still happens. hey! thats bad! omgimonfire theres both PROS AND CONS!! OMGWTfUZxxXs!

in summation, you kids out there need to stop acting like you are gods gift to tuning/modifying. you do not have all the answers, which means you have no right to tell people how to modify their car.

in response to the main thread, recirculated bovs will make a noise, its just not nearly as audible as an atmospheric.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's unfortunate that you think your VTA bov is actually holding peak boost and causing less taper when the BOV is not responsible for either of those things to begin with. There are no pros, and you don't need one for running higher boost. The Forge RS has already been tested up to 38psi...
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I think the point being missed is there are benefits to changing the stock BOV. Recirc/partial VTA being the best, full VTA requires tuning. Anyone disagree? If someone wants the better sound as well as a better BOV, whats wrong with that?

Look at the original posters join date. He has no idea people are going to jump all over him. He is excited about the car and wants to enhance his driving experience. Get over it. Should've searched though....
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

lol
GFB for teh win!!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I installed the JDM DV on mine yesterday. That and my drop-in K&N makes it plenty loud for me. I can now hear it at all speeds. Yes it sounds cool, but I don't think I could handle any louder...

:sarcasm:BTW, what's your rational for hearing your BOV? Why do you want to hear it? :/sarcasm:
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=ibanez_926]lol put your flame suit on

He's wrong for asking a question?....
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Hey since you all talk about blow offs here i have a question... I just put a hks racing intake and a turbosmart dual port blow off ...... The sound is amazing .. I mean the turbo spooling and the blow off sound... But i have the idling problem.. When at idle the car would go to 500 rpm... I was told that tightening the blow off adjustment bolt would fix but it doesnt... Does anyone know how to fix it and why it does it...???
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
:sarcasm:BTW, what's your rational for hearing your BOV? Why do you want to hear it? :/sarcasm:
it's not that HE wants to hear it........it's that HE wants OTHERS to hear it :P
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Graphite_MR
Hey since you all talk about blow offs here i have a question... I just put a hks racing intake and a turbosmart dual port blow off ...... The sound is amazing .. I mean the turbo spooling and the blow off sound... But i have the idling problem.. When at idle the car would go to 500 rpm... I was told that tightening the blow off adjustment bolt would fix but it doesnt... Does anyone know how to fix it and why it does it...???
most likely the combo of those two parts. The stock MAF system is sensitive....which is what leads to all these heated discussions. I assume you have the hard MAF pipe. Is your car tuned for it? If not, this could be the source. Seeing as how I dont run a turbosmart BOV, I dont much about it....does it recirculate? If not, this is where the whole "venting metered air" discussion comes into play. What you are experiencing is the exact reason people think these symptoms apply to all BOV and intakes when it does not. I would switch back to your stock BOV and see how it runs. If it does the same, install your stock airbox. Return the car to stock to see how it reacts. Add one part at a time to figure out where the problem lies.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

for those interested in the sound of the APS try this link...at the bottom of the page. I dont know if it works as my computer is suffering some problems.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...ve-p-1331.html
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

GFB is louder, AND it is adjustible.

APS is not a bad valve by any means. but i really like my GFB.
i can close it fully if i want to.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:37 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by althemean
Look at the original posters join date. He has no idea people are going to jump all over him. He is excited about the car and wants to enhance his driving experience. Get over it. Should've searched though....
No offence, really, but you should have done a quick search, too. Take a look at the original poster's history on this forum. This thread is hardly the pinnacle of his repertoire. ;-)
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 100% VTA blowoff valve on my car and you can certainly feel it. I replaced the stock one because it was leaking, and i had an extra sitting in my garage. I put in a friends Forge recirc and noticed a huge difference in driving. In the 1/4 mile through every shift it isnt as smooth, and during daily driving I get some crazy flutter, you have to let off the gas completely or it will make the car stutter. As soon as I get the chance I am going to get a Forge recirc. I am speaking from personal experience, i happen to think the sound is nice on the VTA, but performance is what really counts, to me atleast.

Quick Reply: Will a after market Recirculating BOV still get me the cool Pssshhh sound?