Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone tried the air condition in your new EOV?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone tried the air condition in your new EOV?

I'm going to buy a new car in the next 6 month. Wondering which car shall I go for.
How's the air condition in EVO? Evo only has a 2.0 engine, how much will this affect the power?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

You can feel it at idle, but at interstate speeds I don't notice any drag. Its a good system, and freezes me out of the car down here in Florida.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Just got my Evo last night and bbrrrrrrr, damn it's cold. Car has plenty of power to run with the AC on. Unlike my wife's O-Z. Cold AC but knocks power down quite a bit. If you accelerate hard in the O-Z it is almost if the AC kicks off because it will start to blow warm until you let up to cruise.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yah, from what I can tell, the ECU has a A/C Compressor line, which means under load, it probably disengages the compressor.. I did notice that it lugged a bit when it wasnt under boost (I rarely use a/c but I did last week) But as soon as the engine's boost kicked in, it felt the same as without the a/c running..
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

A/C is fine, just makes idle a little rough when it's going.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

the AC on this car is good and its I feel it doesnt really lose its power when it on
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone tried the air condition in your new EOV?

Originally posted by KZGTR
I'm going to buy a new car in the next 6 month. Wondering which car shall I go for.
How's the air condition in EVO? Evo only has a 2.0 engine, how much will this affect the power?
The AC seems to work OK... It gets cold enough so far although we've not had any real hot days yet... Atlanta gets mighty hot, so the test will be very hard this summer...

As far as power goes, don't even sweat it (no pun intended). The EVO has TONS of power, you'll never notice the AC pulling on it except perhaps if you are racing and want every ounce of power to the wheels.

BTW, I let a friend drive the car the other day and I was a passenger... WOW, the car is fast as hell.... This time there were 3 in the car, 2 150 pounders and a 300 pounder in the back.... The car still felt monstruously strong from the passenger standpoint.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:56 PM

Thanks For the infomation.
I had a 2.0 92 Eclips before, that AC sucks, but I guess that problem does not happen on the EVO.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, the a/c works great. It had already hti the 80s numerous times down here in FL. I could barely tell the draw on the power when turning it on
Old Apr 24, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm. Interesting. I pulled up this thread expecting everyone to be bashing the EVO AC output only to find that every claims it's great. Mine's not. It's only hit high 70s, maybe low 80s, here a couple times and I've already had the AC and fans on high, just barely comfortable. Glad to hear it might be an isolated problem. Too bad it's on my car.

Thomas Dorris
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

WTF??? the car drives like shiet with the A/C on. like my TypeR, and my dad's S2000. loses all lowend power and you have to completely adjust your driving (applying gas and releasing the clutch) to drive the car normally and keep the take off smooth. i think it has to do more with the ignition and fuel map, cuz even with the a/c off the car takes off like shiet, like my old corolla took off the same way. you give it gas and it just bogs down to like 1000 rpm and sluggishly rolls off. the car at low rpm has no power under load. needs some timing advance or leaning out or something. nothing that complete stand alone ecu cant fix
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah the a/c blows very cold though.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

haha...claudius, you should get a roof scoop
Old Apr 24, 2003, 06:10 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think mitsubishi's choice of A/C manufacturer is comparable to those of the premium brands. I have the original A/C in my mitsubishi and after 200,500 miles and after converting it to R134 from R12 myself, which is difficult in most cases to achieve the same cooling, it still works perfectly fine even when I drove it arkansas.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the air condition in your new EOV?