Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Question

Anyone getting a hardcore shock every time they get out of their EVO? Everytime i get one, and its getting pretty annoying........
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

I get no shock at all.

Is your ground attached tightly under-hood?

SC~
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:20 AM

Where is it?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:21 AM

There was a thread about this. The surface of the Recaros acts to create a static charge when you move across them. When you touch the car, you ground yourself and the charge transfers out, causing you a shock.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

It is not the surface of the recaros!!!!...it is mitsubishi cars in general. I get it in my evo, my wife gets it in her outlander, my brother gets it in his OZ, and he used to get it in his 99 galant. I assume it probably has something to do with the carpet....since that is the one simialrity between all the cars now.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:25 AM

Here is the thread.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=20660
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:25 AM

a grounding kit should help with this? i read in a few places, and heard from - that amongst other things - grounding should help with shock
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

If the cars grounding system isn't good, you become the ground for the cars built up charge when you exit the vehicle.

Doing things like shuffling your feet on the carpet and sliding into and out of your seats is also a way to build up a static charge....but this charge is usually rather small.

You mentioned that the discharge was large "hardcore shock"....which leads me to believe it's more than just feet shuffling on the carpet causing the problem.

I don't know where the ground cable is for our Evo engine. I haven't spent much time under the hood. But generall there is only one wire that attaches from the engine that is also bolted to the firewall. It's usually a copper wire. Take a look at it to make sure it is bolted tightly to the car and to the engine.

SC~
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:35 AM

Sounds like a start, thanks
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:51 AM

i get a horrible shock from my oz...hurts like a *****...
Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Static charge will build up also from the simple movement of the car through air (especially dry air). Just hold onto the metal of the door when you exit and step out.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
If the cars grounding system isn't good, you become the ground for the cars built up charge when you exit the vehicle.

SC~
Sorry man, but I think you're losin it!

If the ground connections in the car are not adequate, the current flow just gets resisted, not built up. And normally cars run current through engine components, excluding the driver.

It's the Recaro seat's bolster material building a static charge from your clothes when you get out of the car. Nothing you can do about that without either A) avoid rubbing against the material when you get out or B) hold an exposed, grounded piece of the car (like the door frame) as your getting out.

... or C) wear rubber clothes whenever you drive your Evo8(hahaha, ok now I'm losing it)
Old Apr 25, 2003, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

My info is based on my years of Austin Mini restoration. And I could perhaps not be explaining it properly or clearly. But it should still apply across to other cars, I'd think. On Mini's, if the grounding isn't good, you get a large (read: LARGE) shock. It isn't from static build-up, as I mistakenly said earlier, but from the fact that certain circuits of the car remain energized when the car is not on. You become the path of least resistence.

The only reason I mentioned this at all was because of the original posters language useage which led me to believe it was more than the regular static build-up charge. In hindsight, I see that the poster was likely just exaggerating a bit about the severity.

It is, as you mentioned, likely just a static build-up from the seats and carpets.

SC~