Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Notchy Ass Gears!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my IX was notchy (especially 2nd and 3rd) even with 6k miles. so, i just changed the tranny oil to bg synchroshift and changed the underhood shifter bushing to the brass ones and its so much smoother now.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

My 1st - 2nd gear is nasty as hell (shifting through a pile of rocks). Going into third it feels like I hit a rock. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it goes away.

1.6k miles so far on my IX
Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skurukutoi
gm syncrhomesh?
i know ive seen that somewhere b4 but i cant remmber
i was bout to grap the bgsynchroshift but now aperently gm is better
who makes that/where can u get it?
Pennzoil is also the same

Carlos
Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:47 AM
Account Disabled

I would bring it back to the dealer.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IXToes
My 1st - 2nd gear is nasty as hell (shifting through a pile of rocks). Going into third it feels like I hit a rock. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it goes away.
Same here...14K on my IX so far. Took it in for the 15K service at the dealer when it had 13K.
I explained my concern to the tech and he test-drove it, claimed it was "normal for these cars, as long as it wasn't grinding..it would be fine".
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Lately I havent been getting the rocky feeling! Maybe it was my old shifting habits while cruising or it's breaking in better
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

mine is a little bit notchy sometimes in second or third but I only have 1600miles on my car, but its not that bad. I noticed it shifts a lot better at WOT, its really only notchy when I granny shift at low RPM's
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:54 AM

arent you guys scared to bring your car to the dealer? They might drive the hell out of it just because its an evo.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
like i said in my other post, it gets beter after time. also, you'll learn how to do it smoother, the skill is called "the evo shift".
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoEvo
mine is a little bit notchy sometimes in second or third but I only have 1600miles on my car, but its not that bad. I noticed it shifts a lot better at WOT, its really only notchy when I granny shift at low RPM's
Yep, it only happens at low rpm, slow shift.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone else have this prob?

When driving in say stop and go like a stop sign or traffic. With the car being a 1st or 2nd in rpms below 2k when you let off the gas the car kinda lurches back and forth. Feels like the engine is slowing and catching itself.

This happens everytime and only when I am not on any of the 3 pedals. The rpm meter kind of drops down in stages. I have 2300 miles and never launched car whatsoever babying the hell out of it.

Care to help out?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

2.9 qt of penzoil syncromesh and take out the Restrictor pill in the clutch line. Itll shift like a honda
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

break the car in biotches, then swap the fluid for pennzoil syncromesh and your problems will dissapear. but remember with syncromesh u should probably change it around 7k intervals and maybe even 5k if u compete.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by aznfballer79

Care to help out?
This is pretty common with AWD cars. The long driveline and all the rubber suspension and engine mounts act like a big rubber band. When you let off on the gas, you're just loading up the rubber band, and then it springs back. That's the back and forth lurch. Its pretty mild in the Evo compared to many older AWD Subarus. Anyhow, the only way to reduce it is either to change your driving style or start installing urethane suspension and engine mounts. The urethane mounts will cause a substantial increase in cabin vibration and noise though.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aznfballer79
does anyone else have this prob?

When driving in say stop and go like a stop sign or traffic. With the car being a 1st or 2nd in rpms below 2k when you let off the gas the car kinda lurches back and forth. Feels like the engine is slowing and catching itself.

This happens everytime and only when I am not on any of the 3 pedals. The rpm meter kind of drops down in stages. I have 2300 miles and never launched car whatsoever babying the hell out of it.

Care to help out?
Never driven a manual before? If you let off too suddenly, the car will lurch badly, you need to be smoother with your throttle inputs.

My IX RS shifter is notchy as well. 2050 miles.

Quick Reply: Notchy Ass Gears!!!!